The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2012, 01:46 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Wind River Mtns Fishing Trip

This past month I have been taking horse back riding lessons mainly to go riding with my girlfriend and hopefully get into some of the remote high country lakes north of town. The Wind River range is just loaded with remote lakes that I want to explore. Dexter, the guy that I'm taking lessons from offered to take me up into the Wind River Mtns to fish for Goldens and I jumped on the opportunity. The plan was to take his grandson (Shawn) and his best friend (David) and myself with two pack horses. Both of the boys are 16 and have never fly fished so I brought along two extra rods for them to try out. Day one was a long pack trip into the high country, we left the trailhead at 12:30 pm and didn't get into the lake that we planned to camp at until 7:30 pm, so needless to say my body was totally exhausted, but what a great experience to see some awesome high country scenary. Day two was spent fishing the local lakes around camp and we found the cutthroats and cutbows to be willing to play and had a fantastic time C&R lots of fish. After a short fly casting lesson the boys had a total blast with the fly rods and the willing fish were perfect for beginer fly fishermen. It was really great to see how easily they took to fly fishing. Day 3 was planned to ride over to Elbow lake to fish for the elusive Golden Trout, but unfortunately we all got skunked. I had never fished for Goldens and should have asked the members of the forun for advice before I left (major mistake). We primarily used black wooly buggers and leach patterns thinking that we needed to get deep as I had hard that the Goldens like really cold water. We didn't try any dries as we only spotted two fish rise and they were way out in the middle of the lake. Here are some photos of the trip:
Day 1 ride into the mountains, four riders and two pack horses:
Click the image to open in full size.
One of the many lakes in the Winds that we enjoyed:
One of the boys heading out fly fishing:
One of the beautiful locals:
Not sure if this was a cross between a Golden and a Cutty, maybe someone on the forum would help identify what this is:
Ride into Elbow Lake:
View of Elbow Lake:
Another beautiful fish we found in the Winds:
The horses taking a break at Elbow Lake:
fysh, jpbfly, countr21 and 7 others like this.

Old 08-18-2012, 01:58 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Wind River Mtns Fishing Trip

I know that had to be fun Larry, a beautiful place indeed.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 08-18-2012, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

beautiful sceneries!!!Now I can say you're a real cowboy LarryLucky you to fish such wonderful placeshope you'll post some more pics.
Old 08-18-2012, 04:39 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Incredible looking fish Larry!

One question though....Was it difficult getting a good fit between the neoprene footy on your waders and the pointed toe on your cowboy boots?

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 08-18-2012, 06:34 PM

tennessee dave will become famous soon enoughtennessee dave will become famous soon enough

Beautiful scenery and beautiful fish.
Old 08-18-2012, 06:44 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

great report larry
beautiful fish and beautiful country indeed.
thank you for sharing.

casey

ARFE
Old 08-18-2012, 07:31 PM

shortyb has a spectacular aura aboutshortyb has a spectacular aura aboutshortyb has a spectacular aura about

I am sure jelous as I would love to do a pack trip on horses back into the beartooths. Trully stunning to get away from it all like that. Well done sir!

Purty fish what ever it maybe a X of. Would loved to see it in person all that bright yellow!
Old 08-18-2012, 07:52 PM

Troutwhisperer will become famous soon enoughTroutwhisperer will become famous soon enough

Very cool. I love those high mountain pictures like number 7. It just looks awesome.

"I have a river runs through it on blue ray, so yeah, I guess you could say I know a thing or two about fly fishing."

http://mtwhitefish.blogspot.com
Old 08-18-2012, 10:18 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

me<--------jealous

Thanks for sharing! Gotta see that country some day...-Mike
Old 08-19-2012, 12:39 AM

bobafett will become famous soon enoughbobafett will become famous soon enough

i am jealous of this trip too! Thanks for the report and the beautiful pictures.