The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2012, 11:41 AM

pjcalla is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Got skunked on the Blue

I am headed to Keystone on Saturday, September 1 for a few days, for a family wedding. We are staying in the resort area, right on the Snake River. I know the Blue is really close, and plan on doing some fishing there, however, I was wondering if the Snake River is worth fishing, or should I just skip it and go to the Blue?

I am a novice fly fisherman, and just recently got back into it from a 15 year hiatus. I'm really looking forward to the trip, and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:53 AM

vitesse304 has a spectacular aura aboutvitesse304 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjcalla View Post
I am headed to Keystone on Saturday, September 1 for a few days, for a family wedding. We are staying in the resort area, right on the Snake River. I know the Blue is really close, and plan on doing some fishing there, however, I was wondering if the Snake River is worth fishing, or should I just skip it and go to the Blue?

I am a novice fly fisherman, and just recently got back into it from a 15 year hiatus. I'm really looking forward to the trip, and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
The Snake is a great place to wet a line right now. Mostly brooders and stockers as most fish were killed off due to the mining, but it is stocked regularly. Most fish around 12 in, but there are brooders in there.

I was up at Keystone last week Thursday and Friday and a co-worker of mine got into some fish right behind Keystone Lodge and Spa. I didn't get a chance to fish since I was in meetings all day.

Most people don't fish the Snake because the Blue overshadows it, and people don't understand how to access it. Keystone will allow you to fish it all through the base area, but you have to stay off the golf course. That's about it! You can even park in the skier's day lot to fish, but there's better fishing above and below the ski area.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitesse304 View Post
The Snake is a great place to wet a line right now. Mostly brooders and stockers as most fish were killed off due to the mining, but it is stocked regularly. Most fish around 12 in, but there are brooders in there.

I was up at Keystone last week Thursday and Friday and a co-worker of mine got into some fish right behind Keystone Lodge and Spa. I didn't get a chance to fish since I was in meetings all day.

Most people don't fish the Snake because the Blue overshadows it, and people don't understand how to access it. Keystone will allow you to fish it all through the base area, but you have to stay off the golf course. That's about it! You can even park in the skier's day lot to fish, but there's better fishing above and below the ski area.
Sweet! Thanks a ton! Do you happen to know what flies I should use? I plan on going to the fly shops there in Dillon/Silverthorne, but some knowledge outside of the shops would be greatly appreciated. I haven't started tying my own yet, as I am just getting back into the sport, so I will be at the whim of the fly shops.

I'm really looking forward to my trip, as we are going to be on the Bitterroot the week before. I can't wait to get out of the office and on the rivers for two weeks. I haven't had a vacation like this before, and I'm chomping at the bit to get out there and wet a line.

Thanks again.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:30 PM

vitesse304 has a spectacular aura aboutvitesse304 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjcalla View Post
Sweet! Thanks a ton! Do you happen to know what flies I should use? I plan on going to the fly shops there in Dillon/Silverthorne, but some knowledge outside of the shops would be greatly appreciated. I haven't started tying my own yet, as I am just getting back into the sport, so I will be at the whim of the fly shops.

I'm really looking forward to my trip, as we are going to be on the Bitterroot the week before. I can't wait to get out of the office and on the rivers for two weeks. I haven't had a vacation like this before, and I'm chomping at the bit to get out there and wet a line.

Thanks again.
Hopper dropper rigs.

Stimulator or foam hopper on top, pheasant tail, copper john, hare's ear, and even midges on bottom. Nothing too fancy. If they won't take beadheads, or flashbacks, try more natural looking flies. The snake is a little river, so stealth is key. It's also flowing very low, so use 6x tippet.

Post a report when you get back!
Old 08-21-2012, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Hopper dropper rigs.

Stimulator or foam hopper on top, pheasant tail, copper john, hare's ear, and even midges on bottom. Nothing too fancy. If they won't take beadheads, or flashbacks, try more natural looking flies. The snake is a little river, so stealth is key. It's also flowing very low, so use 6x tippet.

Post a report when you get back!
Thanks! I will definitely post a report (with pics) when I get back.
Old 08-21-2012, 03:21 PM

vanish will become famous soon enough

Quote:
And if you're already heading up towards GM, try the Colorado around Parshall and Hot Sulphur springs. Just another 30-45 mins up the road. I've heard good reports out of there and a buddy of mine fished above Hot Sulphur springs a week ago and said it was fishing well.
Hah! That's funny. I fished it on Sunday. LDR'd one fish on a prince nymph for the whole morning. They were taking tiny PMDs at one point, but did not like my imitation.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:29 PM

bassguitarplayer has a spectacular aura aboutbassguitarplayer has a spectacular aura aboutbassguitarplayer has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
I'm far from a master! Still learning just like everybody else. I'm headed to Seattle this week, otherwise I'd show you around the private stretch and some other good spots around Breck.

Fish through town, all the way to the pavillion. There's fish in there! Also, at swan mtn. rd, there's a pull out and you can fish there as well.

Don't forget that if you aren't having a productive day below GM, fish the inlet. The water is way low, and the rocks create pocket water, fast riffles, and tailouts that will hold fish.

And if you're already heading up towards GM, try the Colorado around Parshall and Hot Sulphur springs. Just another 30-45 mins up the road. I've heard good reports out of there and a buddy of mine fished above Hot Sulphur springs a week ago and said it was fishing well.
I will try those spots!! Thanks man!!
Old 08-21-2012, 09:55 PM

gjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the rough

Two things to add:

1. I have always found that stretch of the blue to fish the best at flows between 150 and 250 cfs. I just noticed it was running a little higher. And I agree with some others. I don't fish that section like most tailgaters. Somewhat larger flies, more weight. But, I do try to sight fish as much as possible rather than just dredging holes. Cover lots of water.

2. I personally stopped coming onto the forum for a long time because I found people weren't posting reports in the Rocky Mountain Range section. And, when I posted a report, it often didn't seem to get much of a response. So I figured people weren't hanging out here.

I would love to start posting more HONEST reports from plain old fishermen. Call it like it is, ya know? We all have good days and bad days and we shouldn't feel like we have to lie or fudge on the truth because others will judge us. I am going to get things started with a post on 11 mile canyon from Sunday. I encourage others to join in and make this section of the forum something we can use.
bassguitarplayer likes this.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:12 PM

bassguitarplayer has a spectacular aura aboutbassguitarplayer has a spectacular aura aboutbassguitarplayer has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjcordray View Post
Two things to add:

1. I have always found that stretch of the blue to fish the best at flows between 150 and 250 cfs. I just noticed it was running a little higher. And I agree with some others. I don't fish that section like most tailgaters. Somewhat larger flies, more weight. But, I do try to sight fish as much as possible rather than just dredging holes. Cover lots of water.

2. I personally stopped coming onto the forum for a long time because I found people weren't posting reports in the Rocky Mountain Range section. And, when I posted a report, it often didn't seem to get much of a response. So I figured people weren't hanging out here.

I would love to start posting more HONEST reports from plain old fishermen. Call it like it is, ya know? We all have good days and bad days and we shouldn't feel like we have to lie or fudge on the truth because others will judge us. I am going to get things started with a post on 11 mile canyon from Sunday. I encourage others to join in and make this section of the forum something we can use.
I think it would be great if we could get some honest updates going on this forum! I'd be happy to participate. Since I'm the one that started this post by saying I got skunked, you can see that I have no problem telling everyone I had a bad day.

I'm just on here to learn from my fellow anglers and pick up as much knowledge as I can so that I can go have a good time on the river. And I'm sure many of you are the same. So let's see if we can get a good "river report" thread started.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:20 AM

4peace1piece will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassguitarplayer View Post
I think it would be great if we could get some honest updates going on this forum! I'd be happy to participate. Since I'm the one that started this post by saying I got skunked, you can see that I have no problem telling everyone I had a bad day.

I'm just on here to learn from my fellow anglers and pick up as much knowledge as I can so that I can go have a good time on the river. And I'm sure many of you are the same. So let's see if we can get a good "river report" thread started.
I'm in guys. I think that posting the days you got skunked is more important to me than the days you caught numerous fish. I also like to know what patterns you all have confidence on on certain dates on certain rivers. One poster talked a lot about confidence, and thats a big thing for me on new rivers.

The only drawback for myself is that I kinda live halfway between the good rivers in Colorado, and the good rivers in Wyoming. I get the feeling more people will care about the Colorado reports.