The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2012, 09:34 AM

bassguitarplayer has a spectacular aura aboutbassguitarplayer has a spectacular aura aboutbassguitarplayer has a spectacular aura about
Default Got skunked on the Blue

Hey all,

I went below the Green Mountain Reservoir yesterday to try my luck on that stretch of the Blue and got completely skunked.

I have lots of luck on other stretches of the Blue using midge larvae, misces shrimp and san juan worms. Yesterday... nothing.

There was a big caddis and midge hatch going on so I tried some caddis emergers too... nothing. I suck at fishing dry flys but I even tried some parachute adams, and a midge adult dry that I had... nothing.

So I guess my question is, what stuff have you all used to get the fish below the Green Mountain Reservoir? I think that river is gorgeous and fun so I'd love to be able to get some fish out of there too!!
Old 08-20-2012, 10:05 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Got skunked on the Blue

Sounds like you were using the correct patterns, anyway it would be my approach. Just wondering what size tippet were you using and what time of day were you fishing and what size were the flies you used (see Pat Dorsey's report below)?
The Orvis river report recommends 6x for that river due to the gin clear water. Also checkout the tab on fly patterns.
Blue River | Colorado Fly Fishing Reports & Conditions

Also take a look at this river report and the patterns they recommend (note they say the fishing has been good off and on:
Current Colorado Fly Fishing Conditions - Blue, Colorado, Platte and Arkansas Rivers

Pat Dorsey provides some very insightfull information on the Blue that might explain what happened. Checkout his report, scroll way down to get to the Blue River report.
Colorado Stream Reports for Fly Fisherman at the Blue Quill Angler

Old 08-20-2012, 10:20 AM

4peace1piece will become famous soon enough

I've been skunked in that area as well. In my head I associate that stretch of river with the South Platte below Cheesman because those are the only areas I've watched trout move up in the water column to inspect multiple flies without inhaling. In other words, I think the trout have seen many flies and become wise in that area.

If I head back to fish below Green Res. again, my tactic will be ultralight tippet with ultralight nymphs and no indicator. Also, I think cloud cover could help. I remember sight fishing in one area in particular (I recall it was a narrow point about a 1/2 mile from the parking area) but I remember feeling really exposed with no means of stalking or sneaking up on the fish.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:57 AM

vitesse304 has a spectacular aura aboutvitesse304 has a spectacular aura about

Bigger flies.

Rubber Legged Copper Johns
Green Drake Nymphs
Golden Stones
Purple/Psycho Prince Nymphs
Etc...

5x fluro, 3 flies, go long on your leader and lots of weight.

Even with a caddis hatch or midge hatch, they sometimes will ignore the prevelant hatch opting for bigger meals.

And no offense mcnerney, but those guys have no clue what's going on on the blue below GM. They just don't fish it and nobody can give a reliable or consistent report. It really pisses me off too since these so called "reports" don't provide accurate or up to date information. When someone is heading up the hill for a day of fishing, it can be a real bummer to travel 2-3 hours just to get a skunk (and a 4 hour drive back in traffic!) even though the fishing report says "excellent".

And yes...that's a part of fishing, figuring out what's going on...but these "helpful" fishing reports aren't really helpful sometimes.

Back to the question...fish the faster water, not slack. Riffles are feeding lanes picking up bugs from the stream bed...The fishing is better in the AM and late PM. Lots of brownies in this stretch so knowing brownie behavior will help. (bigger meals, undercut banks, streamers...) Also, the fish will be fewer and far between. They just don't stack up like rainbows.

And don't forget, these are wild, naturally reproducing fish. Not like the stockers in town. A good drag free drift is essential. A good drift is more important than fly selection.

Also, it is very important to sight fish on this stretch. Blind casting all over the river will eventually produce fish, but with the low and clear flows, you can spot your fish and make casts to them.

I took cptxkirk to the private stretch below GM a couple weeks ago and we did very well. With the flows at 400, it is fishing very good. Decent flows that will push some bugs, but not like in year's past. Historically, at this time last year, it was running around 800-1200 and when we floated it, stoneflies were the ticket. I guess you could attribute the slower fishing to the lower flows this year, but even though it's not amazing fishing like in year's past, the fishing is still good.

And another tip. If you get the skunk there, go to the inlet of GM. Lots of stockers and a few surprise big fish! Park at the campground and hike down to the river right at the bend. It's further down stream from heeney rd. FYI, come fall, this stretch gets packed with the bows chasing the kokanne run...in 2 months, I can guarantee that you will not get a skunk on the Blue. Peach egg for the win! But I also know of a few better places to chase spawning brownies closer to Denver!!!
Old 08-20-2012, 12:46 PM

4peace1piece will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitesse304 View Post
Bigger flies.

And no offense mcnerney, but those guys have no clue what's going on on the blue below GM. They just don't fish it and nobody can give a reliable or consistent report. It really pisses me off too since these so called "reports" don't provide accurate or up to date information. When someone is heading up the hill for a day of fishing, it can be a real bummer to travel 2-3 hours just to get a skunk (and a 4 hour drive back in traffic!) even though the fishing report says "excellent".
I've been thinking about this issue lately. A lot of us use fishing reports from outfitters websites. When you think about it, their livelihood is based on the fishing being good, so why wouldn't they have a more sunny outlook posted on their reports? Of course, its also possible (for me at least) that they are the experts, and that they catch fish even when others don't.

It makes me think we should start a facebook page or blog dedicated to actual fishing reports, with dates, so we know if the last time someone fished a river was 3 weeks ago, their report of "fishing is great" is unwarranted today.
Old 08-20-2012, 02:28 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4peace1piece View Post
I've been thinking about this issue lately. A lot of us use fishing reports from outfitters websites. When you think about it, their livelihood is based on the fishing being good, so why wouldn't they have a more sunny outlook posted on their reports?
And that hit the nail on the head. Their business is based on people going wherever they are so the likelyhood of hearing "Oh my, I have never seen the fishing suck this bad!" is pretty much zero. I gave up years ago even looking at reports from those kind of places.

I did once get to see the backlash from such false rosey reports. During winter here a number of years back, I was checking fishermen in a resorts icehouses. I walk into one and the guy asks me "So what are you seeing for fish?" I told him it was sucking badly. He gives me a look and said "Huh!" Gets out his cell phone and calls the resort. He said "Yah I was thinking about coming up there, how's the fishing?" Then about 30 seconds later he goes, "You lying bleep! I'm in your ice house right now!" I thought it was pretty funny.

As far as a Facebook page goes, I think you are likely to have more luck with this site. We have almost 34,000 members now. Of those people I am willing to bet that at least some of them are fishing the Blue as well. Go to the section for your area wherever it may be and ask "How has it been, and what was working?" You might not get an answer everytime, but when you do I'd bet it would be a lot more trustworthy than the nonsense some of the people trying to get into your wallet are going to shovel at you.

The one exception to the outfitter type thing I have ever seen was a resort on the river here. They had like a blog on their website. The people fishing left reports of their own. Unless you see that kind of thing, I would take anything a resort, outfitter, flyshop etc. with a grain of salt.

One last thing, the best time to fish anywhere is when you can go. I don't plan things based on reports. First of all, even if they are true, in an hour they might not be. Just fish when you can.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:38 PM

bassguitarplayer has a spectacular aura aboutbassguitarplayer has a spectacular aura aboutbassguitarplayer has a spectacular aura about

Great advise from everybody as always.

I think maybe I need to just explore that stretch of river more and find the spots where the fish hang out.

I was there kinda late, around 10:30 AM, since I had to work until 2 AM the previous morning... so I was running on a coffee filled, 3 hours of sleep.

So you're saying larger stonefly nymphs are a good attracter there? I'll give it a shot.

Vitesse, yeah, I was using the three fly, long leader, drag free, lot's of weight technique you showed me. Usually works like a charm.

Actually, I ran into two other guys on the river that day and none of them caught anything either. So maybe it was The Blue just being The Blue.

And, I love the idea of a Facebook page with "real" river reports. I'd certainly contribute to it.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:21 AM

This post will probably be taken down by the admins, but my blog is nothing but fishing reports. No BS. Just where, when, what worked and what fish. I usually post a report a couple days after fishing so it's pretty up to date and accurate as to what's going on. Barring any major changes in the weather or flows, I can guarantee that you will catch fish with the recommendations on my blog.

There's lots of blogs similar, and you'd be surprised how many that report on waters that you fish.

Search blogger, blogspot, and other blog hosting sites. Also check local forums for info.

Back to guitarbassplayer's post...

Fishing is about confidence. I have a friend who refuses to fish nymphs and only dry fly fishes. Everytime we go out, he manages to catch fish even without a hatch going on. He's super confident in his abilities and his fly selection. If you are confident and don't rely on reports from others, you'll get into the fish!

Take all reports with a grain of salt, and use them as a baseline. Most reports will give you a good start as to what types of bugs are coming off and where the fishing is most productive. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't change tactics, locations, or flies. Experiment, explore and try something new. Fish the fast riffles, pocket water, cutbanks and anything that looks fishy. Lots of guys only fish what they know, but fish will move around. Take a minute when you get on the river to take it in. Too often guys go crashing into the water to get to a hole they think holds fish, but they are walking over fish getting there.

When I took Kirk on the private stretch of the Blue, we met two guys who said that they hadn't caught anything all day. I could tell Kirk was a little deflated to hear that since we had to drive a ways out of town, leaving water that we knew was productive. Three casts later, we proved those guys wrong and managed to get into quite a few fish.

Click the image to open in full size.

So...kudos to you for trying a new spot! But don't dwell on the skunk. Don't get sucked into the fly shop reports and shops that say "only this fly is working". There's been many a time where I'm the only one catching fish in a river full of people, and twice as many times where I'm watching the one guy catching fish because he's trying something different.

Good luck out there!
mcnerney likes this.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:35 AM

I'm actually working up in Breckenridge for several days next week so I plan on making the trip back to that water a few times. I LOVE that river and I want to figure it out.

We've gotta go fishing again sometime. You could teach me a lot more than you already have. I'll buy you a Big Mac or whatever it is you take in payment!!

Thanks, as always it's great to hear sage words from the master!
Old 08-21-2012, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassguitarplayer View Post
I'm actually working up in Breckenridge for several days next week so I plan on making the trip back to that water a few times. I LOVE that river and I want to figure it out.

We've gotta go fishing again sometime. You could teach me a lot more than you already have. I'll buy you a Big Mac or whatever it is you take in payment!!

Thanks, as always it's great to hear sage words from the master!
I'm far from a master! Still learning just like everybody else. I'm headed to Seattle this week, otherwise I'd show you around the private stretch and some other good spots around Breck.

Fish through town, all the way to the pavillion. There's fish in there! Also, at swan mtn. rd, there's a pull out and you can fish there as well.

Don't forget that if you aren't having a productive day below GM, fish the inlet. The water is way low, and the rocks create pocket water, fast riffles, and tailouts that will hold fish.

And if you're already heading up towards GM, try the Colorado around Parshall and Hot Sulphur springs. Just another 30-45 mins up the road. I've heard good reports out of there and a buddy of mine fished above Hot Sulphur springs a week ago and said it was fishing well.