The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By fredaevans

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2012, 01:18 PM

khende is on a distinguished road
Default Stream Temps and flows

I am leaving for Colorado next week and plan to do alot of flyfishing. I would like to know what the water tempetures and steams flows are in the Grandlake/Kremmling area and the area near Mueller State Park. I have looked at the data from the state site is slanted towards lakes and reservoirs.
Old 08-25-2012, 03:22 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stream Temps and flows

Probably lots of available info. Almost every flow water has one or more gauges that will give you flow and water temp (many of them also clarity). Here's one that I use, and I'll get another link up in a second so you can set off in Google.

There's a national map (USGS) one, click on that and it will give you a point/click for every gauge in the State.

Here's one example: Advanced Hydrologic Prediction Service: Medford: Rogue River near Eagle Point

Here's an example of one of my 'locals' that I follow: USGS Current Conditions for USGS 14339000 ROGUE RIVER AT DODGE BRIDGE, NEAR EAGLE POINT, OR

With this info I even know how to rig up my rods the night before. None of this lets kiss away 30 minutes when I hit the river bank. Just pull a rod off the rack and start casting (well, put on your waders first?).

Edit: On the USGS page, go to the upper right hand corner and you'll find the State selection drop down.
mcnerney and Guest1 like this.
Old 08-25-2012, 05:07 PM

Thanks Fred, I was not aware of that site and it has good news flows are improving from very low. I spent a wonderful week on the Rouge in Shady Cove. I still am skunked for steelhead but I did manage some nice cutthroats. I took a trip over to the Klamath Valley and did very well on a small river over there. Hope to get back.
Old 08-25-2012, 05:22 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Flows on the Rogue are still running far higher than normal (hotter than hell around here) but it looks like the dam flows are starting to drop (YESSSSSSS!) and the fun and games will shortly begin for us 'fly flickers.'

Up to now it was 'pitch and pray' with a fly rod, or be very, very tight on where you wanted/could effectively fish .. short of full on 'winter gear.'

Save for a couple of specific places, haven't bothered for the better part of the last three weeks ... even if the upper river was full of fish. Gear chuckers are using 1 to 2 oz of lead to find the bottom for spring kings.

'Nuff said?'
fae
Old 08-25-2012, 05:58 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I use the USGS site for flow and temps here. Good info Fred.
Old 08-25-2012, 06:05 PM

Fred, the reason the guide I hired took me to the Klamath Valley was he thought the Rogue was running high, just gives me a reason to go back
Old 08-26-2012, 10:40 AM

Rogue's 'ok' for boat fishermen running plugs or side drifting eggs and corkies. Will be interesting to see how that goes when we shift to the 'fly only' season come September 1st (Think that's the correct date.)

Did you fish the Williamson?
Fred

---------- Post added at 08:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:18 AM ----------

A follow up thought on why all the Gauges. The main use (USGS) is flood prediction(s). The temp readings also give the fisheries folks info on 'do damn have to dump more water to protect fish.

If you look at the Dodge Bridge link above you can see the amount of change (course of a day) the Rogue goes through. That gauge is 15'ish RM's below the Wm Jess dam where the water is coming out at 52 degrees. (Lake surface is at/just above 71.)

Usually, by this time of the year, the flows are being cut back (max 100 cfs/day) but this summer has been very hot around here. One two week patch where the top of the day was over 100 degrees. One afternoon one (in direct sun) my gauges was reading 122!
Old 08-26-2012, 12:25 PM

No, my guide would not tell me the name of the river, and I want to honor that.
Old 08-26-2012, 12:30 PM

Question Re: Stream Temps and flows

Quote:
Originally Posted by khende View Post
No, my guide would not tell me the name of the river, and I want to honor that.
How odd?