The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2012, 11:07 PM

waynej is on a distinguished road
Default Driving from Bozeman, MT to Telluride, CO

As always, the folks on this forum have always given me great information and hope you can assist with this question.

Second week of September I have 5 days to drive from Bozeman to Telluride. My goal is to drive a few hours a day and fish the rest of the time. I'm excited like a kid at Xmas....

Based on the map, looks like there are a few different paths to take and I'm hoping for suggestions on routes and streams you would hit if taking this trip.

Welcome your put and thanks
Old 08-25-2012, 11:46 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving from Bozeman, MT to Telluride, CO

Which route would you prefer taking? Down through Idaho to Utah? or over Beartooth and into Wyoming? Both have good water, although the Wyoming route may have a bit more. The Idaho/Utah route being more Interstate Highway would be faster from spot to spot.

Personally, I think I would go for the Wyoming route just for the slower pace (wow, I must be getting old!).

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 08-26-2012, 10:40 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Wayne: If you came down the ID/UT route, Hebgen Lake for Gulpers, South Fork of the Snake by Swan Valley (stop at Jimmies in Idaho Falls, buy a few flies and get the skinny on public access points), the Green River above Pinedale, WY by the Warren Bridge (lots of BLM land for river access and free camping), the Green River below Fontenelle Reservoir, below La Barge, WY (again lots of public access and free camping), then hit the Green River below Flaming Gorge Reservoir (Dutch John, UT area, again it is all BLM, pay to camp, and there is a BLM trail from the dam to the first boat takeout at Little Hole, lots of opportunity to spread out and fish without feeling crowded.
If your interested in doing a float together (I have a drift boat) and if the dates work let me know.
If you wanted to go through Yellowstone NP, check their website a few of the rivers were closed earlier in the month due to warm water, but that might change by Sept. If you came out the east entrance then I would hit the North Fork of the Shoshone river and there is pay camping along the river. At Cody is E. Newton lake just north of town that normally fishes really well, no need for a boat, just wade and concentrate on the brushy edges. Heading south from there I would hit the Wind River below Boysen Reservoir before it goes into the canyon. Two pay campsites along the river before it hits the canyon section. Note, if you want to fish the Wind River canyon you will need an Indian Fishing permit as that land belongs to the reservation.
We also have a member that lives in Red Lodge, hopefully he will see this post and offer suggestions if you decide to go through that area.
No matter the route you take there are lots of opportunities for fly fishing, good luck!
fredaevans and texastroutbum like this.

Old 08-26-2012, 10:33 PM

buffler razz will become famous soon enough

Wayne
I will be a week ahead of you. Fishing in the Wind River Mountains over the holiday weekend with my sons. Early Wednesday I dump my littler brother at the airport in Jackson and head south camping and fishing through the week. I intend to hit the Yampa, Frying Pan and ??? on my way back to New Mexico. If you want to shoot me a PM I can get my cell number to you and will gladly let you know how it is going when I'm near civilazation. Since I am escaping from reality for the week, I won't have a computer or web access until I get back on the 9th or 10th.
Razz
Old 08-27-2012, 05:54 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Razz: Good point about the Fying Pan, that might also be a good stop along with the Roaring Fork as you can hit hwy 133 at Carbondale and head SW to hwy 550 and then south to Teluride. Wayne, if you decide to hit those rivers be sure to stop at one of the local fly shops in Glenwood Springs, Carbondale or Basalt and buy a river map, that will detail all the public access points. Also, the Crystal River follows hwy 133 and there are plenty of public access points.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:46 AM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

I was just in that area a couple of weeks ago; here is what I found.

The Crystal river is very low and slow along 133 with a lot of sediment in the water. If you get above Marble,CO the fishing is great though.

Frying pan river was in great shape and busy 2 weeks ago. Water is (as usual) cold behind the dam. Mysis, caddis, midges, etc.

The Roaring fork was low and 'wadable' in Glenwood springs. A few hours drifting large nymphs produced a few fish (stonefly larvae, 20"er, copper john, big hoppers). There are some big fish in the roaring fork. The evening and early morning bite were on, but the fish totally shut down when the sun gets up high (deep nymph rigs?)

Have not fished the Colorado recently. It was slightly off color and low, It looked pretty good actually but I did not get a chance to fish it.

Taylor river outside of Gunnison: Have not fished since last year. Lots of large picky trout at the tailwater. The river below is beautiful and less crowded.

High lakes above telluride. Fished there last summer at a lake around 12,000' (above the falls). Only fished 1/2 hour and caught a 18" cutt. Small creek and fishing ponds through town.

The main rivers are all pretty low this year. Fish are hanging deep and hiding out through the day. A lot of people have been fishing higher altitude rivers and lakes this year (including myself). It has been the salvation of the season for sure.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 08-28-2012, 06:45 PM

missin44 is on a distinguished road

Gotta fish the Green River (Tailwater) in Dutch John, UT. Gunnison at Pleasure Park just east of Delta, CO. Uncompahre River (Tailwater) near Ridgeway, CO.

The time of year you will be there you'll have the Green all to yourself, it's called the aquarium for a reason.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:24 PM

cochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud of

Definitely fish the San Miguel on the last leg of the trip heading into Telluride. Lot's of public access and an easy river to read. Surprisingly large fish.
Old 08-29-2012, 02:26 PM

waynej is on a distinguished road

Sorry everyone for the delayed response but the dam job is getting in the way of my travel/fishing plans.....

Thank you for all the suggestions. As of now, I plan on taking the following route.

Bozeman > YNP/Tetons > Rock Springs, WY > Craig, CO > Glenwood Springs > Telluride.

Based on the topo and your recent fishing reports, I think I'll find plenty of water to drown a few flies....

After reading a recent post and seeing the pics of goldens in the upper altitude lakes, I may have incorporate a few miles of hiking into my fishing schedule.

Leaving tomorrow night and can't wait. Wish everyone tight lines.
Old 08-29-2012, 03:30 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

Lots of fishing along the Gallatin.. all the way down Highway 191 into the park.

If you're buying Montana and YNP licenses.. no worries.. but have them before you go south, so you don't have to worry mile marker 30 (4 corners in Bozeman is mile maker ~82) (once inside the park boundary, it's 55 and they use radar - be careful - lol)

Good shops at Bozeman in 4 Corners, another in Big Sky .. you'll go right by.

Smokey right now.. a few fires started yesterday.

Allow time in West Yellowstone to check out the fly shops - I think there's 5.. Blue Ribbon , Arricks are musts.

Fishing reports:

Fins and Feathers - Montana Fly Fishing Guides and Fly Shop
Montana Troutfitters | Montana Fly Fishing Reports, Bozeman Fly Fisihng Reports
Blue Ribbon Flies

Enjoy the trip!
mcnerney likes this.

Last edited by dhayden; 09-01-2012 at 06:34 PM.