The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2012, 02:57 PM

gjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the rough
Default Cheesman Canyon Report

Went up to Cheesman Canyon yesterday with two good friends. Because of family duties, we couldn't get out until noon, so we decided to fish the afternoon and evening until dark. The flows were up to 400 cfs not a week ago and have now dropped to around 220 cfs. Anyone who fishes a lot of tailwaters knows that this is usually not a good thing. Highly pressured fish just don't tolerate those rapid flow changes especially when they are dropping. The parking lot was crowded as usual, but most of the cars seemed to be hikers and photographers with just a few fishermen spread out equally above and below The Narrows section.

We hiked to a couple of holes that had been producing some really nice fish recently, but when the flows dropped, most of those fish had moved up or down or under or wherever. Short story is, we had to kind of "relearn" the river again. So it goes.

We fished primarily dry dropper rigs with varying combinations of PMDs, pheasant tail varieties, and black beauties. Took most fish on the droppers. The afternoon and evening PMD hatches really never came off. But when they do, the fish will move a good distance for a well presented dry. We also nymphed up a couple on midge imitations as well. Use 6X fluoro, as little weight as you can get away with, and a sensitive indicator and sight fish in broken water. The fish holding in the slicks will reject your fly almost every time.

The tactics are what is really important. If you go with a buddy, try sighting for each other so you are casting to working fish rather than searching blindly. Sight fishing is a must! I know that it is hard to have your line out of the water, but watching a fish take a fly from a vantage point above the river in gin clear water can be just as exciting as hooking one yourself.

Bottom line - we hooked about a dozen fish and landed half. I know that doesn't sound like a good day, but given the conditions, it was pretty decent really for five hours in the Canyon. Gorgeous weather and the views are always top-knotch.

Click the image to open in full size.

Gary
Old 08-26-2012, 05:27 PM

spiderninja will become famous soon enough

Those are some nice browns. I'd be happy with a catch like that.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:17 PM

countr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Cheesman Canyon Report

Nice report!!
Old 09-03-2012, 06:50 PM

mike63 is on a distinguished road

I think getting a half dozen fish in Cheeseman in 5 hrs is pretty darn good, especially given the low flows. I have never done well on the S. Platte and the next time I go I am going to hire a guide, get some training, and try to figure what's wrong. If I got 6 fish from there I would have to celebrate.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:36 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Gary,

Good report on the fishing ......and, I've been missing your input here

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-04-2012, 08:37 PM

gjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Hi Gary,

Good report on the fishing ......and, I've been missing your input here
Thanks a lot. I guess life just got in the way there for a while. But it is good to be back in the hunt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike63 View Post
I think getting a half dozen fish in Cheeseman in 5 hrs is pretty darn good, especially given the low flows. I have never done well on the S. Platte and the next time I go I am going to hire a guide, get some training, and try to figure what's wrong. If I got 6 fish from there I would have to celebrate.
I know what you mean. Cheesman is a crazy place. The flows fluctuate constantly, the water is gin clear almost always, the terrain can be daunting at best, the fish get hammered, and the hatches are pretty subtle. One day you are a hero and the next you are the fool. But, it is absolutely gorgeous and you always have that chance of hooking a fish of a lifetime. Worth the walk and the days of frustration.