The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2012, 10:24 PM

Troutwhisperer will become famous soon enoughTroutwhisperer will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Beautiful headwater in the Montana backcountry

I have reason to suspect I know the lake you are talking of, its a bugger to get to. They don't call them the crazy mountains for nothing.
dean_mt likes this.

"I have a river runs through it on blue ray, so yeah, I guess you could say I know a thing or two about fly fishing."

http://mtwhitefish.blogspot.com
Old 12-04-2012, 03:00 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Great report and pics...Reminds me the Loisach in Austria...
First time I see a grilled Sage
Old 12-05-2012, 07:02 PM

countr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to behold

Oh man, I almost forgot about this thread. So glad to see everyone enjoying the pictures. It was frustrating not finding my way across that canyon. There hasn't been a day gone by that I haven't thought about that hike and that lake. I have since found GPS coordinates online to find my way across. During the original hike, I was close.....about a 1/4 mile away from where you actually cross the outlet stream about four miles below the lake. I am making that hike and those golden trout the main priority for next summer.

Anyone that wants the info on the lake and this headwater stream....feel free to PM me. I don't mind giving the info out to regular users of the forum. The lake is already well known but the grueling nature of the hike keeps the crowds at bay and the fishing fantastic. The hike is for serious hikers and anglers only and no stock can make it, not even llamas or pack goats. A local even told me one hiker he knew had to carry his dog some of the way.

The other lakes high above the headwater stream I fished are stocked with rainbows and Yellowstone cutts. And the fish I caught showed characteristics of both trout.

Click the image to open in full size.

This is what you must cross to continue up the golden trout lake drainage

More beautiful scenery of the stream I fished

burning down a big fire to make cooking coals

Here I am mis-timing the delay on the camera early in the morning
Troutwhisperer and dean_mt like this.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:27 PM

countr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbfly View Post
First time I see a grilled Sage
hahahahaha