The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By williamhj

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2012, 02:12 PM

csagen is on a distinguished road
Default New to Colorado

Hello Everyone,

I am fairly new to the Colorado area. I live in Denver right now. A buddy and I are going to fish the River that flows into Spinney Mtn Reservoir this Saturday. I can't seem to find any information on it. I honeslty don't even know what it is called or if it is even good fishing. Can anyone shed some light to this NEWB?

Sorry for the rookie post but I tried searching everything I could and can't seem to get anything. A little information would be much appreciated!

Thank you in advance!

Calder

---------- Post added at 01:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:43 AM ----------

Well that was a rookie post for sure. I just realized it is South Platte River above Spinney Mtn Reservoir. If anyone wants to chime in on what flies have been hitting on this section of the river I would appreciate it.

Sorry again for the NEWB post.

Thanks in Advance

Calder
Old 09-12-2012, 07:11 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New to Colorado

It is the South Platte. I've not fished it above Spinney, but have fished it below Spinney (between Spinney and 11 Mile Reservoirs) as well as in Cheesman Canyon and below it past Deckers. Last time I was fishing below Spinney they were probably taking nymphs of various kinds but some were taking on the surface so I went for those. They were taking size 16 and 18 dark bodies elk hair caddis flies, in the afternoon. Not sure if this is still the case but it was fun fishing.

Here are fishing reports on Spinney, called the Dream Stream, from some Denver area shops.
Blue Quill Angler
Trouts Fly Fishing
Angler's All
They give some info on it. It might be worth stopping in and talking to the folks in the shop before heading down.

Welcome to the forum and to Denver
mcnerney likes this.

Last edited by williamhj; 09-12-2012 at 07:54 PM. Reason: fixed blue quill link
Old 09-12-2012, 07:23 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Calder: Welcome to the forum! +1 for what William said.

Old 09-20-2012, 12:29 PM

son_of_simon is on a distinguished road

I had no idea that water was open to fishing, I have always gone to the Dream Stream when in that area. I know some areas further up river are closed after Sept 1st for the season. But what I was able to find online was saying that the river just above Spinney is open year round, is that correct? Also, how much of this section is public access?
Old 09-20-2012, 04:09 PM

mhaith is on a distinguished road

This is typically Badger Basin and Tomahawk. From Denver go through Fairplay on 285.

Skinny, winding, meadow water but fun to fish. I fished it quite a bit this summer. lots of little browns (3-5 inches) who love to hit top water stuff. I caught a couple of 12" stocker rainbows on hopper/dropper rigs.

I took my young daughters there and they had a blast wet-wading, learning to fly fish (dry to boot!) and cooling off on hot summer days. There are not many kids who can say they caught over 20 fish on their first fly fishing outing (even if the total of all fish was 80 inches!)

There are typically a bunch of guides taking beginners out in the area, especially at Tomahawk..

I understand some of the spawning browns make it up there from Spinney but not even close to as many as the DS.
Old 09-22-2012, 04:20 PM

socorrofly is on a distinguished road

If you happen to drift to southern Colorado, some cool stuff in the headwaters of the Rio Grande & San Juan. Mebbe a slam in a day.