The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2012, 03:08 PM

gjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the rough
Default Clear Creek Fishing Report

Fishing was very good for small to average sized brown trout. Dry dropper in the morning until water warms a bit (Size 8-10 PMX, Royal Trude, Amy's Ant type patterns with a bead head pheasant tail dropped off). When sun is up high, switch to a double dry with the same lead fly followed by a size 18-20 parachute adams. Or nymph the deeper holes with a worm and a pheasant tail.

You will get a lot of looks, rejections, and inspections (I mean 30 or more). Expect to catch multiple fish, up to 15+ depending on how long you fish. Cover lots of water with no more than one or two casts to each typical holding area. They will move on it or they aren't home.

Biggest fish of the day.
Click the image to open in full size.

Cheers,

Gary
Old 09-15-2012, 07:11 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: Clear Creek Fishing Report

Nice report, Gary! Succinct, with the right info, and a good hook in the form of a beautiful handful of brown!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 09-16-2012, 10:27 AM

gjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the rough

Glad you like. This is a great little stream that is close to many people's homes. And, it is a tremendous success story after mining ravaged the thing for nearly a century. It has more and more fish every year it seems.
Old 09-16-2012, 11:43 AM

cgrphoto is on a distinguished road

Wow nice report. I recently went up there after the rain we had and hooked one medium sized brown, but that was IT. Went to my old reliable spot and zero activity... was using similar setups like you mentioned including the grey RS2 - as the BWOs are coming off - was humbled to say the least. Began to wonder if it was time to pack it in for the season.

This report gives me hope though. Just the remaining question is: where? Up high like Bakerville/Georgetown, midway, like Idaho Spgs, or closer to Golden on US 6?
Old 09-16-2012, 12:13 PM

I always stay in the canyon from the first tunnel up to about a mile below Kermit's. I think the key is covering lots of water. Cast a few times, make two or three good drifts over each fishy spot, and move on. Most people find a pullout and walk right down and fish the water close to the car. Work the water that others don't. And work the faster water as well the typical seams.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:58 AM

vitesse304 has a spectacular aura aboutvitesse304 has a spectacular aura about

I fished it on Saturday past tunnel 3. Fished about a 2 miles stretch and moved up and down the river. Managed lots of fish. No takes on dries, but lots on WD40's, Hare's Ears, and a Soft Hackle Pheasant Tail.

Fish were parked in predictable places, overhangs, tailouts, and seams.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitesse304 View Post
I fished it on Saturday past tunnel 3. Fished about a 2 miles stretch and moved up and down the river. Managed lots of fish. No takes on dries, but lots on WD40's, Hare's Ears, and a Soft Hackle Pheasant Tail.

Fish were parked in predictable places, overhangs, tailouts, and seams.
We should have carpooled! Great half day getaway, though, isn't it.
Old 09-17-2012, 04:36 PM

vitesse304 has a spectacular aura aboutvitesse304 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjcordray View Post
We should have carpooled! Great half day getaway, though, isn't it.
Ha! Yes, I just noticed that you are down in Parker. We should hook up for some fishing adventures...I make a quite a few trips down to Pueblo and lots up into the mountains as well.

I could use some help around Deckers...it's so close, yet I never seem to catch lots of fish there...
Old 09-20-2012, 12:20 PM

son_of_simon is on a distinguished road

Nice brown for CC. For sure one of the best quick get aways. It's always fun to be able to fish a double dry fly rig. I'm looking forward to hitting the canyon soon, especially now that I've got a 2wt rod.
Old 09-20-2012, 06:40 PM

That brownie was only about 12-13 inches, but it was by far the prettiest fish I caught all day. Most were a little washed out. But they were all healthy feeling, firm and not mushy. And just tons of little guys 4-6 inches.