The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2012, 05:36 PM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice
Default Re: New member / new to fly fishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmurch View Post
Noreaster,

Yes for spinning I actually used micro-light gear. Usually 3 or 4 pound test on a 4' length rod with the tiniest real available.

Jeff
Me too! Growing up, my Dad and I really didn't know better and used fly rods way to heavy for the mostly under 1.5 pound trout we were catching. Usually an 8 wt 9' fenwick fly rod. Good in the wind but like pulling in a 10 inch trout on the heaviest Ugly Stick, not much play or fight at all. Many inexperienced fishermen fish rods far too heavy for the conditions they fish. Use your spinning knowledge to guide you with fly fishing choices. I have yet to push the limits of any of my three fly rods and three spinning rods, although the spinning rods don't see much action these days.

I have a 5 wt. 7'6" Sage rod that I love, and a 4 wt. 7'6" St. Croix that is great too! For big big trout I still have the old fenwick that is a nice Canadian Made graphite rod.
Old 09-16-2012, 05:43 PM

jmurch is on a distinguished road

All the advice I've read, here and other forums, points me to 5/6 on a 9' 5wt rod. I will probably go Allen Trout II reel and a TFO rod but I really have a gut feeling I want the next smaller weight. I did get a few big fish in the Snake last week (4 or 5 pounds) that I would think the 4wt could handle.

The other argument I've heard is for the 5wt where even if the 4wt would land the fish by the time you fight them in they may not recover (basically fight them to death).

Jeff
noreaster likes this.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:51 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Jeff,I forgot to ask,what took you so long to get into Fly Fishing,I know I'm always stirring Friends about Lure Fishing,even though I once did a fair bit myself.
My quote is,which I mention to friends:
The Reason I like Fly Fishing "There's a Jerk on Both Ends".
Also Fred has also given some good advice.
Hope you get into it & enjoy it as well as many of us here do.
Another Thing by using a 6 wt over a 4 or 5wt even though it's more fun catching Fish on lighter gear I feel Larger fish can be better Handled as well as Landed & returned back into The Drink quicker.
Brian.

Last edited by Liphookedau; 09-17-2012 at 05:53 AM.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:55 PM

I guess I'm trying fly fishing now as I'm older and have time and money to do things.

I'm ready to order a reel and rod tomorrow. I'm really leaning towards a size 1 allen trout II and a TFO 9' 4wt. I'll be able to do lot of fishing here in AZ for 1/2 to 1 1/2 lb rainbows in the salt river and a couple times a year to better fishing up north in WY or MT. Hence the reason I'm leaning more towards the 4wt than the 5wt.

I'm also torn between the trout II at $144 and another $50 or so for line or a lamson guru for $189 with free line. Cost wise it's a wash and from what little I know the Guru looks to be a better reel, at least the drag system seems better.

Any last minute opinions are welcome! I'm still not 100% sure about the 4 or 5wt. But it's not like this will be the only time I buy a reel/rod either.

Jeff
Old 09-16-2012, 10:17 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a light gear kind of guy, love my 2, 3, and 4wt rods. Recently landed a 5+ lb trout on my 7'6" 4wt bamboo without trouble. However, I'd recommend starting with an 8'6" or 9' 5/6 wt, unless you're just going to be fishing small streams. x2 for what others have said about the advantages of a heavier rod for casting larger flies and fighting fish in current, not to mention casting into the wind. Now the different between a 4 and 5 wt won't be huge, but if you get a good 5wt and find you're fishing smaller streams or delicate dries to smaller trout, down the road you could pick up a 3wt to round out your rod collection.

As for reel, I don't think you'd go wrong with the Allen or the Guru. I got a Guru for a friend for salmon fishing with a 9wt rod, but I doubt your drag will be tested like that. I will say I was amazed how light the Guru was, but the Allen I have on my 6wt is a nice looking and nicely working reel. I'll muddy the waters by suggesting a Battenkill Bar Stock from Orvis. It's machined, great drag, nice looking, and the company will stand behind it, though Lamson and Allen will stand behind their reels too, so it might just come down to which reel you like better.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:03 PM

I could only shop for so long..........

I ordered a 9' 5wt TFO and a Guru2 with 5wt Rio Gold line. Should make it here before the weekend!

Jeff
williamhj likes this.
Old 05-05-2013, 01:37 PM

andrew_rigsby is on a distinguished road

I am about to buy a new fly reel for my TFO 8'6 4wt and have narrowed it down to two reels. I started doing some digging on the forum and what do you know the two reels I have narrowed it down to is the Battenkill and the Trout II. Any suggestions between the two since price is similar and I cant seem to make up my mind???
Old 05-05-2013, 02:50 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Andrew. You kind of picked an interesting place to put your question.

I don't own either reel so I can't help you there. What I can do for you is tell you how to post this in a better spot.

Go to the main forum page and find the section for fly reels. Click on Fly Reels on the left, not the most recent thread on the right. Then click on the icon at the top left that says 'New Thread'. Create a title and ask your question there.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:26 PM

jmac321 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmurch View Post
I could only shop for so long..........

I ordered a 9' 5wt TFO and a Guru2 with 5wt Rio Gold line. Should make it here before the weekend!

Jeff
Welcome Jeff,

Good set up for az and wyoming. Let us know how you like the set up. You will find out soon, like the rest of us, that you will need more rods, reels, lines, etc.
You'll need a 3/4 5/6 7/8 in 8'6'' 9' 10'. Reels for each rod and cases to store and haul them. Wadders, fly-tying stuff. It never really ends, so welcome.
Welcome to the addiction aka Fly-fishing.