The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Rocky Mountain Range (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/rocky-mountain-range/)
-   -   Flie for Yellowstone Area in Late October? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/rocky-mountain-range/296957-flie-yellowstone-area-late-october.html)

missin44 09-17-2012 08:08 AM

Flie for Yellowstone Area in Late October?

I would like to begin tying up some flies for a trip to Yellowstone area (outside and inside the park) for late October. What patterns in general should I be working on?

Thanks

rockriver 09-17-2012 10:16 AM

Re: Flie for Yellowstone Area in Late October?

I don't know; but, perhaps this will help out. Fly Fishing In Yellowstone National Park

dillon 09-17-2012 10:50 AM

I just got off the phone with a friend who just finished a trip over there. Fishing was good on ants and hoppers, but Baetis hatches should occur as the weather cools. I would suggest contacting the Blue Ribbon Fly shop in W. Yellowstone for advice.

dhayden 09-17-2012 11:01 AM

I'd suggest checking with the above 'Blue Ribbon' and 'Parks' fly shop in Gardner

I'd also suggest warm clothes.. lol

MoscaPescador 09-17-2012 11:32 AM

Contacting the local fly shop is always a good idea.

Google is your friend. Do a search for "Yellowstone Hatch Chart."

Dennis

mikel 09-17-2012 11:39 AM

just drove home yesterday from there...Dillon and Dhayden are both exactly right, including the warm clothes.

Have fun. Eat at the Madison Crossing :)

-Mike

Hardyreels 09-17-2012 12:23 PM

The guys who live near and those who fish there frequently have given good tips. I'm not going to be down there but if I were.......... There are 3 things I can count on almost anywhere in trout country come October; little blue wing olives, caddis flies, and little fish / sculpins and such. I would take the BWO's, Caddis, and streamers. I would rely on the area shops to provide the local 'secret weapon patterns' but would use my own stuff first. If all else failed I'd go to the shop flies...........

Good luck,

Ard

gjcordray 09-17-2012 02:01 PM

Listen to Ard on this one. He is dead on.

I have a buddy who works at Yellowstone Angler and he says the streamer fishing is excellent right now on the Yellowstone River, but the color scheme varies by section, so it might be hard to tie up something that you will be sure is working.

dean_mt 09-17-2012 04:18 PM

In late October your boots will be frozen solid in the morning if you leave outside the night before.

Browns will be spawning by then so add some egg "flies" (I use that term loosely) to the streamer list.

mcnerney 09-17-2012 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dean_mt (Post 484390)
In late October your boots will be frozen solid in the morning if you leave outside the night before.

Browns will be spawning by then so add some egg "flies" (I use that term loosely) to the streamer list.

Yes, it is has been getting down into the high 20's at night here in Pindale, WY so expect some cold, but has been warming up nicely during the afternoons (high 60's low 70's), but by late Octobor that will only be a distant memory. Argh!