The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2012, 01:23 PM

zeolite will become famous soon enough
Default North Platte in Casper

It practically runs by my door so I set up a rod the night before and wandered over the road for a few casts in the morning.
I was only out 2 hours but boy was it good. Lots of carp/dace type fish chasing my dry stim. I only managed 1 of the dozen slurps at it. Curse my feeble reactions.
Moved out to the streamier water and for a rubber legged nymph. A couple of small rainbows and solid chunky 19" cutbow ( I think).

A rather good morning I think and the nice thing is that i don't even have to rig down my rod.
Old 09-22-2012, 03:21 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: North Platte in Casper

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeolite View Post
It practically runs by my door so I set up a rod the night before and wandered over the road for a few casts in the morning.
A rather good morning I think and the nice thing is that i don't even have to rig down my rod.
You are definitely living the life! Congrats!

Larry
Old 09-26-2012, 09:20 PM

scoobysteve is on a distinguished road

Any chance you'd be willing to divulge roughly where in town you fished? I've been doing some exploring of the river through the middle of town and was wondering if it's even worth fishing. It doesn't look to me like there's much trout holding water. I could definitely be wrong though.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:17 AM

cochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud of

I just returned from 4 days on the n platte from gray reef down to sechrist.

UN-Believable fishing and man is there some toads in that water.

We put well over 60 fish in the boat everyday and on one day many fish in the 18-25.5" range.

Lot's of private water but a good amount of public as well. I would float it in my float tube if I was there regularly.

Really a great fishery. !!!
Old 09-27-2012, 11:46 AM

slicedog is on a distinguished road

Hitting the miracle mile this weekend, I hope it is jumping!
Old 09-30-2012, 09:33 AM

zeolite will become famous soon enough

Scoobysteve

The North Platte has fish everywhere! Now that the water level has reduced you can see some features. Look for slacker water after streams or shallow runs. I have found a drifted nymph raised slightly in those area will get a take.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:09 AM

The miracle mile was fishing well this weekend. The first half of saturday I spent casting Spey rods and learning all the casts with a group from St Petes fly shop in ft collins, so no fish were caught during that period. Around 4 or 5 a blanket swarm Of baetis was coming off the water, my waders were covered in them. Caught two rainbows over twenty inches and lost another pig. on sunday I didn't get into any big boys but was catching smaller rainbows on midges.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:17 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicedog View Post
The miracle mile was fishing well this weekend. The first half of saturday I spent casting Spey rods and learning all the casts with a group from St Petes fly shop in ft collins, so no fish were caught during that period. Around 4 or 5 a blanket swarm Of baetis was coming off the water, my waders were covered in them. Caught two rainbows over twenty inches and lost another pig. on sunday I didn't get into any big boys but was catching smaller rainbows on midges.
Congrats on the great fishing, there's nothing like being on the water with a good hatch coming off! Wish I could have attended the Spey rod demos.

Larry

Larry
Old 10-01-2012, 11:11 AM

If you ever do attend Larry, bring ibuprofen and ice, man that is a lot of work!
Old 10-01-2012, 05:34 PM

rider14x is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicedog View Post
If you ever do attend Larry, bring ibuprofen and ice, man that is a lot of work!
Hey Slicedog, I was up there too and couldn't agree more. I had a great time, and am looking forward to using the new-found skill set. The guys at St. Pete's really are a great bunch!