The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2010, 12:28 AM

rvandermoor is on a distinguished road
Default Im driving through, where do you suggest I fish?

Hi all,
I want to experience some great brown trout fly fishing. I will be driving from Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, to Salt Lake City, Utah.

I was thinking about going through Montana. Taking the I-90 from Spokane, Washington across to The I-15 just before Butte Montana and then down the I-15 all the way to Salt Lake City, Utah.

2 years ago I drove that route back to Canada and saw lots of drift boats fishing rivers along the way.

I was hoping for help/suggestions on places to fish along the way. I was hoping for both opportunities to pull off the side of the road or make a small detour to do some fishing from shore.

I was also interested in suggestions for any guide companies along that route that I could contact. There will be two of us and we may be interested in a day of guided fishing.

And because I haven't asked enough of everyone already I was also hoping for some fly suggestions...

Thanks in advance ppl!
Old 07-21-2010, 09:14 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Im driving through, where do you suggest I fish?

I-15 in the Dillion, Mt area runs along the Beaverhead River, it shouldn't be too hard to find a good fly fishing guide in that area. Here is an example: Frontier Anglers - Frontier Anglers
When you get down to Idaho Falls, if you take a side tour east on hwy 26 go over to Swan Valley, on the left side of the road you will see South Fork Outfitters, they fish the South Fork of the Snake, excellent fishing.
South Fork Outfitters : 1 800.483.2110 : Professional Guided Fly Fishing : PO Box 22 Swan Valley Idaho 83449
If your willing to go east from Salt Lake on I-80 over to Green River, take hwy 191 south to Dutch John, UT and fish the famous Green River. I'd recommend doing a float on the "B section" if you are targeting big browns. It will have less fish than the "A section" but the fish tend to be larger and it is not as crowded. If you are coming in Aug then the hoppers will be out. You can fish the "A section on your own if your willing to do a little hiking. there is a trail that runs all the way from the dam down to the first take out called Little Hole, it is seven miles. Park the car at Little Hole and then hike up river. Just about any good run or seam will produce fish.
Green River Fly fishing Flaming Gorge, Utah, Utah flyfishing Guides, Utah Fly fishing Guides, Trout Creek Flies - Your Complete Green River Guide Service - Rocky Mountain Fly Fishing, Emmett Heath, Fishing
Another option if you are willing to take a detour off I-15 is to drive over to Twin Bridges, MT and fish with 4 Rivers Fishing Co, they are now doing full moon drift boat trips 3 pm to 11 pm. We all know big browns are nocturnal so fishing at night increases the odds of hooking into a big trophy. The next full moon dates are July 26, Aug 24 and Sept 23. http://www.4riversmontana.com/index....oon-flyfishing
Larry

Last edited by mcnerney; 07-21-2010 at 10:02 AM.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:43 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi,

Looks like Larry has you covered, don't forget to come back and tell us how the trip went. Hint, we love pictures;

Welcome to the forum group,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-21-2010, 12:30 PM

Flywgn will become famous soon enoughFlywgn will become famous soon enough

I, too, concur with Larry's suggestions. His details are excellent and, though I don't know him personally, a little review of some of posts on this forum will give you myriad examples of his local knowledge.

Oddly enough, my wife and I are heading to Vancouver Island (new to us) and the southern parts of B.C. (not new to us). I'm sending you a PM.

Allen R

P.S. Oh yes, Welcome to the forum.

Last edited by Flywgn; 07-21-2010 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Add Postscript
Old 07-21-2010, 06:49 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

And when you get to Salt Lake, you can fish the Middle Provo and Lower. The lower will have the bikini hatches in force which makes it fairly pleasant if you have patience and self restrain .
Old 07-26-2010, 01:56 AM

rvandermoor is on a distinguished road

Well all, thank you for the information... sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you all. I won't have a lot of time to fish, particularly while I'm in Salt Lake City as this is a business trip.

I'm leaving end of this week, I think the plan will be to drive down to Dillon Montana and try to get in a couple hours of fishing in around town in the evening and then spend the following day with Frontier Anglers for a guided day on the Beaverhead. And head out the following morning for Salt Lake City.

I'm really looking forward to the possibility of catching some nice browns, a beautiful fish that I don't have the opportunity to catch here at home.

Thank you all again, and if there is anything you think I should know, hints, tips, flys, rod weights, lines etc please let me know.

I will get back to you again after my trip and let you know how I made out.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:12 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

rvandermoor: A 9 ft 5 wt or 6 wt rod will do fine in MT. Seeing how you are doing a guided trip with Frontier Anglers, I would stop in the day before, introduce yourself and explain to them that you would like to do a couple hours fishing locally and see if they can point you in the right direction (public access points, flies, etc). I'm sure they will be glad to help you out.

Larry
Old 07-26-2010, 09:23 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi rvandermoor,

Make sure you tell Frontier Anglers that you found them from leads on The North American Fly Fishing Forum. Have a good trip.

Frank
Old 07-26-2010, 09:44 PM

Location: Bozeman, MT and Sheridan, WY but now Houston, Texas
MTskibum has a spectacular aura aboutMTskibum has a spectacular aura about

The clarks fork from Missoula to Warm Springs is wadeable on the southern end and wadeable and floatable on the northern end. There are around 15-20 ponds around the town of warm springs, every single one of them is catch and release, most of them contain monster browns. The settling ponds are the ponds that recieve the most attention, because it contains the largest fish. This is probably one of your best bets to hook into a 26"+ brown trout. . Further south from butte you run into the Bighole, which is also a brown trout fishery.

As far as guides are concerned for the clarks fork and the bighole you have http://www.thestonefly.com/

For just the bighole you have http://montanatroutflyfishing.com/ http://www.frontieranglers.com/ http://www.backcountryangler.com/ and http://unclebobsoutdoors.com/

In Idaho you drive across the Henry's Fork. This is primarily a rainbow trout fishery, however there is a stretch around Ashton, Idaho that contains both browns and cutties in addition to bows.

Last edited by MTskibum; 07-26-2010 at 09:59 PM.