The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2012, 05:02 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Green River, WY

We went out wade fishing this afternoon with my girlfriend and her sister (who was visiting from IL). The intent was to get the sister into a Wyoming fish before she heads home tomorrow. Yesterday, we got skunked on a private pond, so I headed to this big hole on the Green that has been producing like crazy for the past couple of weeks with tons of fish stacked up in that hole, nothing big but lots of action (6-14" fish) and most of it has been up top, so I thought this would be a perfect spot to get her into some trout action. We started off with dry/droppers but no action, I was getting a little suspicous, but switched over to nymph rigs after not seeing any fish rise. Second drift through I hooked into this big guy (see photo). The girlfriend had a strike but missed her fish. I then decided to see what was going on and waded across the river to get to a higher spot and found that all the little guys were gone, all I saw were two fish in the entire pool. Maybe this big guy moved in and the little guys moved out.

Click the image to open in full size.
imxer, Hardyreels, fysh and 1 others like this.

Old 09-24-2012, 05:43 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Green River, WY

Ding Dang Larry! Nice fish.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 09-24-2012, 06:27 PM

ghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud of

Geeze thats almost the size of the steelhead we get round these parts!
Old 09-24-2012, 08:19 PM

gjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the rough

Okay, that's just sick! The Green is on my short list this next year. Thanks for the post.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:44 PM

lightline is a jewel in the roughlightline is a jewel in the roughlightline is a jewel in the roughlightline is a jewel in the rough

Beautiful!
Old 09-25-2012, 01:57 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Nice Larry, real nice!

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-25-2012, 08:38 AM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of

Thas a nice fish Larry.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:15 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

That's a nice bow LarryWhat!!! skunked on a private pond???That's not on....Think I'm going to ask the fishing authorities to cancel your guide license
Old 09-25-2012, 11:13 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Larry, that fish is packing some weight on there, I bet it ATE some of those little guys you were looking for, I think I see a trout-shaped bulge near your hand... And this time of the season, I'd be happy to see a steelhead that size, based on the wittle guy I caught the other day

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 09-29-2012, 08:46 AM

shortyb has a spectacular aura aboutshortyb has a spectacular aura aboutshortyb has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatortransplant View Post
Larry, that fish is packing some weight on there, I bet it ATE some of those little guys you were looking for, I think I see a trout-shaped bulge near your hand... And this time of the season, I'd be happy to see a steelhead that size, based on the wittle guy I caught the other day
Like the above, the belly on that guy looks like he ate some those 6"ers and scared out the rest hah.

Nice fish Lar