The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2012, 12:32 PM

mhaith is on a distinguished road
Default the Blue River

Fished the Blue between the Dam and the Outlet Stores late last week. Lots of Big Fish highly pressured but use the right set up and......

I moved into a hole after a group of three moved on with no luck. 5 fish over 20 inches in a 20 minutes .Blue Tung and Juju Baetis.
Old 09-29-2012, 12:41 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: the Blue River

Sounds like you had it dialed in.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:29 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

+1 for what William said! Congrats!

Old 02-01-2013, 08:18 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Anybody hit the Blue lately. Thinking of hitting it next weekend. I've only fished the mall area briefly. Might trek to the tailwater side of Green Mt reservoir. Questions about that though

1) is it tough sledding to get to the water
2) I've seen nice fish in town aka 17"+ do they run smaller here or similar to in town?
3) would you recommend going closer to Dillon reservoir closer to Breckenridge ?

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 02-01-2013, 08:56 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't been up there in months but I wonder if the river between the reservoir and Breckenridge is icy. I'd go North of the reservoir and fish the tailwater, but I've enjoyed fishing between Breck and Frisco so if the fish were active I'd fish it.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:04 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
I haven't been up there in months but I wonder if the river between the reservoir and Breckenridge is icy. I'd go North of the reservoir and fish the tailwater, but I've enjoyed fishing between Breck and Frisco so if the fish were active I'd fish it.
Cutthroat anglers said north of town will be iced over so to avoid the mall crowd go to the green mt reservoir.

Not that I'm a trophy chaser and my choices are Cheesman canyon or the blue below green reservoir I would like to get into some bigger fish if possible.

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 02-01-2013, 09:29 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Back when I was living there, I almost never saw another fisherman. In fact if I did, I don't remember it. But then again, it was a lot smaller and we didn't much in the way of Summer tourists. One of my favorite spots was by a really big rock on the shore across the highway from the Mint Bar.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:18 PM

Thanks for the help guys,

Any last minute updates ? I am heading up Saturday, anyone been up recently. Depending on crowds could end up anywhere from The mall all the way to green mt reservoir. Anyone know how far north of town the open water is before it ices over. Any tips , tricks, advice , recent knowledge would be appreciated.

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 02-08-2013, 11:05 AM

brookies_16 is on a distinguished road

I love fishing that blue from time to time. Nothing better than hooking up a 20 incher with a mysis shrimp, while 18 wheelers fly by with burning brakes. This tailwater is definitely unique. I was up last week and it was good. Hit the "big gulp" hole behind the 7 Eleven and did well. (6X &7X tippet, smallest strike indicator possible, if one at all, tiny drag free midge patterns and your money). Slow everything down for those sluggish fish and you'll do great. A good pattern if they start to rise is Tak's Midge. The Blue below Green Mountain Reservoir is always a good choice, and is usually quiet this time of year. A little sketchy getting down to the water at times, and with canyon walls that come up on both sides of the river you have to be careful wading alone. I would say your just as good going for bruisers in town as out by the the dam. That is unless you fish the Jones property for those pellet fed pigs. Good Luck
Saturday: 40% for snow and 22 deg.
Sunday: 60% for snow and 17 deg.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:20 PM

Thanks tons,

I am looking forward to tomorrow , hopefully all the snow keeps guys on the slopes not the water.

I spent quality time at the vice this week tying up several dozen various little midges and such for the outing.

"Snap it" Hank Patterson