The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2012, 08:25 PM

cletus will become famous soon enoughcletus will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Awesome news, moving to Montana, need help!

We lived in Billings for 4 years. I traveled throughout the state. If I were faced with your choice, and a deciding factor was fishing, I would opt for Bozeman as it's essentially "centerfield" for fly fishing Mecca. Great rivers to the west, great rivers to the east, and close to the park. You'll get more sunshine and a little more wind in Bozeman. Both are great towns, you really can't go wrong. Good luck with the choice!
mcnerney likes this.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:46 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeyeflyfisher View Post
Thanks! I have a Cabela's Fish Eagle II that my dad bought for me when I was a bit younger, 5wt I believe. I will get the specs on it when I get home. I am not sure what kind of reel I have, nothing fancy. I do have a what I believe to be decent pair of hip waders and boots. What I am lacking is a different array of flies, and I would really like a 2/3wt for dry fly fishing, and something a little bigger than my 5wt. Also I am due for a new vest, just need to decide what I like and where to buy it from. I have thought for a while about some type of Allen reel (very good reel from the sound of it, especially for the price) and am no closer to choosing what brand of rod I would like. I don't have much $ to spend and will hopefully be able to spend $500.00 for a new setup including line etc.
Hawkeye: With a 5 wt rod you are set for most trout fishing, a 2/3 wt rod is really designed for small streams, hold off on that until you are sure that is where you will be fishing. The reel on a 5 wt is mostly for holding the line so I wouldn't worry too much over getting a new reel, at least until you start targeting really large trout, if you are really set on getting a new reel then the Allen reels are a great buy for the money. Instead of spending any money now, get some knowledge of the flies needed for the area you end up fishing the most and then purchase what you need. After you get settled, you may find that hip waders limit where you can fish, you might want to consider getting a set of waders, but again I wouldn't worry about that until you are settled and figure out where you want to fish.

Larry

Old 10-02-2012, 09:02 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
I moved the tread as suggested and tweaked the title.

Larry
Thanks Larry!

Like Larry mentions.. wait... you can see what rivers you like on either side of the divide.. my most common rod is a #4, but I use a #2m on smaller streams and a #6 on the bigger water.

Missoula and Bozeman both have big rivers and little streams close by..
Old 10-02-2012, 11:32 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Hey there Hawkeye, exciting move for you! Montana is great place to live and raise a family.

You obviously will look into the schools, but that might be your deciding factor, it sounds like. Missoula and Bozeman at the same time quite different but also offer much of the same. Missoula does NOT have a true community college...yet. There may well be a nursing program through the C.O.T. but I'm not sure. And there are plenty of banks, it's not the Old West anymore!

Housing will be expensive in either place, it's just a reality. The bust probably hit Missoula harder than the Bozone, housing prices have been stagnant for 5 years. Renting is a different beast, vacancy rates in Missoula are something silly like 3 or 4% so it's always at a premium. Bozeman has a lot more high end development all around it, might be a plus for the banking part.

Like Dave said, it's 3 hour drive between the two. You could easily check out each town before deciding where to plant yourself. And while the Missoula airport might be bigger, unfortunately the fares are some of the worst in the state...supposedly "they" are working on "it" -- whatever that means!

Good luck in your searches and endeavor!
Old 10-03-2012, 07:16 AM

hawkeyeflyfisher is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the heads up guys, especially the part about the flies. My dad said for Christmas he is thinking about getting me a legitimate fly tying vice (I asked for the Renzetti Traveller!) so quite a bit of my $ will be spent on fly tying as I don't really have much of anything as of right now. A school with a nursing program is our #1 priority right now, followed closely by bowhunting opportunities and fly fishing/waterfowl/upland bird hunting opportunities. We will most likely rent for a few months, until we find a home that suits us.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:23 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Thanks for all the heads up guys, especially the part about the flies. My dad said for Christmas he is thinking about getting me a legitimate fly tying vice (I asked for the Renzetti Traveller!) so quite a bit of my $ will be spent on fly tying as I don't really have much of anything as of right now. A school with a nursing program is our #1 priority right now, followed closely by bowhunting opportunities and fly fishing/waterfowl/upland bird hunting opportunities. We will most likely rent for a few months, until we find a home that suits us.
If you're truly interested in fly tying, do yourself a big favor and get a copy of Charlie Craven's Basic Fly Tying, it is a really great book.
Charlie Craven's Basic Fly Tying: Modern Techniques for Flies That Catch Fish: Charlie Craven: 9780979346026: Amazon.com: Books Charlie Craven's Basic Fly Tying: Modern Techniques for Flies That Catch Fish: Charlie Craven: 9780979346026: Amazon.com: Books

Larry

Old 10-03-2012, 09:35 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Find the school that fills the need and the rest will fine. Trust me! You would have to try pretty hard to find somewhere in Montana where there are NOT big game hunting opportunities.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:06 AM

I will have to look into that book, I have the Fly Tier's Bible and have been perusing that pretty frequently as well!
Old 10-03-2012, 09:25 PM

Troutwhisperer will become famous soon enoughTroutwhisperer will become famous soon enough

Although this shouldn't be a facter you shoukd think about when deciding where to live, think about how you would like to fish. Dry or toss streamers and nymphs. From what ive read missoula is a dry fly destination and bozeman the later. Missoula is a lot of native cutthroats while bozemans is big browns.

I don't know these things for sure though. I'm more of a Missouri and marias guy and love great falls area for its mixture of both of the above. Great falls is deffiantly windy and I'm not sure what the college offers

When picking colleges I thought about the type of fishing I wanted to do and ill admit that. I also wanted somewhere that was like home so I picked bozeman. I know most fly fisherman curse the wind but I grew up fishing prairie lakes so wind effects me almost not at all, and I actually like the wind.

PS: Dave, I'm sorry in advance if your in box becomes flooded with questions about the bozeman area for fishing. Ive never really have fished that far south.

"I have a river runs through it on blue ray, so yeah, I guess you could say I know a thing or two about fly fishing."

http://mtwhitefish.blogspot.com
Old 10-04-2012, 10:57 AM

I am more of a dry fly fisher myself, but I do like to fish nymphs/streamers as well, whichever the trout are taking!