The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2012, 07:11 AM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Awesome news, moving to Montana, need help!

Quote:
From what ive read missoula is a dry fly destination and bozeman the later. Missoula is a lot of native cutthroats while bozemans is big browns.
Not to me.. I primary dry fly fish.. I doubt there's any difference here. SW Montana just has more rivers.. so it might be a river by river thing/ I jut depends on what you consider acceptable to drive to
Old 11-08-2012, 12:36 PM

yonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
If you're truly interested in fly tying, do yourself a big favor and get a copy of Charlie Craven's Basic Fly Tying, it is a really great book.
Charlie Craven's Basic Fly Tying: Modern Techniques for Flies That Catch Fish: Charlie Craven: 9780979346026: Amazon.com: Books

Larry
My son gave me this book for my birthday a couple of weeks ago.... I have been tying flies on and off for 40 years, and the tips contained in this book were outstanding......as I was reading this book, I would occasionally smack myself on the head and say, "why didn't I think of that?" It is that kind of book.......highly recommended........good luck in Montana, by the way.....Bozeman is a great town......lots of flyshops......Let us know how it goes!!!
mcnerney likes this.

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton
Old 11-08-2012, 04:44 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by yonder View Post
My son gave me this book for my birthday a couple of weeks ago.... I have been tying flies on and off for 40 years, and the tips contained in this book were outstanding......as I was reading this book, I would occasionally smack myself on the head and say, "why didn't I think of that?" It is that kind of book.......highly recommended........good luck in Montana, by the way.....Bozeman is a great town......lots of flyshops......Let us know how it goes!!!
Yonder: Same here, I have been tying since the 80's and some of the techniques that Charlie presents in that book are just awesome, that is why I recommend that book to all the new tiers.

Larry