The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Rocky Mountain Range (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/rocky-mountain-range/)
-   -   Big T report (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/rocky-mountain-range/298389-big-t-report.html)

mhaith 10-02-2012 06:20 PM

Big T report

Fished the upper Big Thompson under the dam today. low, low water and crowded (its freakin Tuesday! Don't people have jobs anymore?)

Beautiful day with temps in the upper 70's. light BWO hatches throughout the day. Good action on Grey RS2 and eggs as the skinny browns and fat rainbows are staging for the spawn.

gjcordray 10-02-2012 07:32 PM

Re: Big T report

Thanks for the update!

cgrphoto 10-02-2012 07:33 PM

I need to get up there and chck that out someday. I ducked out of work and headed to the CC for an hour and it was crowded too around 4pm. It was definitely because the weather was so nice - which brought on a wild BWO hatch!

The brown trout spawning period - does it affect the fishing that much?

chauncey 10-02-2012 07:51 PM

hrm my dad is flying in to town on friday and we were planning to hit up morraine/big t saturday (he has never fly fished for trout) so hopefully the fishing will still be good then =)

tbblom 10-03-2012 09:23 AM

If you possess the self control, it is kind of nice to avoid the big browns on their redds during the spawn. Go after the egg thieves behind them!

Browns will attack most anything near their redd, so it is kind of hard to resist the temptation. The stress ends up killing quite a few big browns every year.
Just go for the egg stealers and leave the spawners alone (or wait until they are in a feeding lane and off the redd).

mhaith 10-03-2012 01:26 PM

Agreed. It is almost easier to simply watch out for pairs and groups 'fighting' than to see the redds which are typically ( I think) on lighter gravel in shallower water.

But fishing below them almost always results in fish eagerly waiting for some wayward eggs.

comeonavs 10-06-2012 09:10 PM

Went up the canyon today, above 7 pines. I had a hunch the snow would keep the crowds to a minimum.... I was right.

Fish were feeding heavy I ripped through a million midges and nothing. Then went to a size 20 RS2 I tied up and bam first cast. Ended up getting 19 in my hand or net alot of 11-12" rainbows a few pushed 14". I lost at least 6 or 7 others because the guides of my rod froze up so I couldnt get the welded loop past the first eye. So as I was screwing around trying to pull the leader in by hand they jumped off.

Gotta say I was worried about the quality of my RS2's. Compared to "proffesionally" tied ones I would have rated mine a 8.5 on a scale to 10. The trout didnt seem to mind:D

comeonavs 10-06-2012 09:10 PM

Went up the canyon today, above 7 pines. I had a hunch the snow would keep the crowds to a minimum.... I was right.

Fish were feeding heavy I ripped through a million midges and nothing. Then went to a size 20 RS2 I tied up and bam first cast. Ended up getting 19 in my hand or net alot of 11-12" rainbows a few pushed 14". I lost at least 6 or 7 others because the guides of my rod froze up so I couldnt get the welded loop past the first eye. So as I was screwing around trying to pull the leader in by hand they jumped off.

Gotta say I was worried about the quality of my RS2's. Compared to "proffesionally" tied ones I would have rated mine a 8.5 on a scale to 10. The trout didnt seem to mind:D

chauncey 10-07-2012 08:36 PM

i actually took my dad up yesterday as well and we just fished the small section above idylwilde. The guides were icing up on us really bad and my dad being from GA was not used to the weather =P. I managed to catch a few small ones in the faster section of water around the bend using a 18 prince...