The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2012, 04:51 PM

brucerducer will become famous soon enoughbrucerducer will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: Green River, WY Float Trip

Thank you for the conditions update. Very helpful so that I know about what weather to expect
Old 10-09-2012, 07:54 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Green River, WY Float Trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbfly View Post
Larry ....just noticed your friend looks like a very famous french actor...Charles Vanel
Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.
JP: pretty interesting they do look alike!

Old 10-19-2012, 09:16 PM

jmac321 will become famous soon enough

Larry,

The first pic in the original post is a hog. That fish looks like a 5 or 6 pounder. Is it the pic or was it that big or bigger? Great fish one way or the other.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:26 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac321 View Post
Larry,

The first pic in the original post is a hog. That fish looks like a 5 or 6 pounder. Is it the pic or was it that big or bigger? Great fish one way or the other.
JMAC: Yes it was a very big fish, but the next one I hooked into was even bigger, but he did an LDR and stole my fly. I should have cut that streamer off and retied the knot but got lazy. The interesting thing was that we floated approx. 13 miles and all the fish that we hooked were all poded up in the deep holes. The water this time of year is exceptional clear and very low so it is easy to spot fish, but I didn't see a single fish that wasn't in a deep pool.

Larry

Old 10-20-2012, 01:32 PM

jmac321 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
JMAC: Yes it was a very big fish, but the next one I hooked into was even bigger, but he did an LDR and stole my fly. I should have cut that streamer off and retied the knot but got lazy. The interesting thing was that we floated approx. 13 miles and all the fish that we hooked were all poded up in the deep holes. The water this time of year is exceptional clear and very low so it is easy to spot fish, but I didn't see a single fish that wasn't in a deep pool.

Larry
I see. I loathe those LDR's. I used to be pretty good about retying after catching big fish, not so much anymore. It never fails the next fish you hook will be the biggest one in river or lake and snap, there goes the fly.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 10-20-2012, 04:49 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac321 View Post
I see. I loathe those LDR's. I used to be pretty good about retying after catching big fish, not so much anymore. It never fails the next fish you hook will be the biggest one in river or lake and snap, there goes the fly.
JMAC: That first fish was a really big battle to get to the net, the fish keep doing these really hard head shakes, I should have known better and taken the time to retie that knot, but there is always next time, something to look forward to.

Larry

Old 04-01-2013, 10:50 AM

leftyg is on a distinguished road

Larry,
I enjoy your posted and thought I would say hello for my 1st post on this forum. The Green is a great river, love to float it any chance I get when I am in the Pinedale / Jackson area. If you find yourself on the other side of the range in the Lander area maybe we can have a few laughs.
Gary
Old 04-01-2013, 12:26 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyg View Post
Larry,
I enjoy your posted and thought I would say hello for my 1st post on this forum. The Green is a great river, love to float it any chance I get when I am in the Pinedale / Jackson area. If you find yourself on the other side of the range in the Lander area maybe we can have a few laughs.
Gary
Gary: Thanks and Welcome to the Forum! I have a drift boat if you want to do a float sometime. Right now the New Fork is open, but really low flow. When I looked at the Green last week it was still pretty much frozen except for some open seams in the corners, but this weekend was nice so I'm going to take another look today. I was planning on heading down below Fontenelle Reservoir this morning but was kind of slow getting some shopping done so that will have to wait until tomorrow. I usually get over there once or twice a year to float the Bighorn or occasionly I will go over to the Grey Reef.

Larry

Old 05-09-2013, 09:59 AM

leftyg is on a distinguished road

Hi Larry,
Planning to be in your area first week of June. Hoping to sneak in before the runoff really gets going. Wonder how you think things are stacking up for the Green and also the other side of the Winds down around Lander.
I know you got some late spring snow.
Appreciate your prediction, maybe we can meet at the Warren Bridge
Gary