The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2012, 06:00 PM

f1 rocks is on a distinguished road
Default Durango/Animas 1st Week of November

Any advice/words of wisdom for me on a trip the first few days of November? Staying in Durango and wanted some water close to fish and I hear the Animas that time of year is good? How is the wading access? Thanks to anyone with information.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:34 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of
Default Re: Durango/Animas 1st Week of November

I fished the town water when there once in October and it was great. Google Duranglers or Animas Valley Anglers. Both outfits are great and will help you get going...there are other waters close by, Like the Delores, and obviously the SJ, but if you have limited time or transportation, the town water will not disappoint if conditions are normal...

Take the train to Silverton if it runs that late in the year.

Check the weather...it gets chilly in Durango.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:07 AM

socorrofly is on a distinguished road

f1_r,

Don't have much info on the Animas, however the flow in the SJR below Navajo Dam is scheduled to be reduced to 650 c.f.s. today. Sure makes wading a little easier. Navajo Dam and the SJR are roughly 50 miles south of Durango.

If you choose to give it a go , try to visit Tuesday - Thursday. Less people - don't worry though, plenty of trout whenever. Fishing has been good to on fire!

Plenty of excellent guides in the area if you need one.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:24 PM

f1 rocks is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the feedback, can't wait to get up there and I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:59 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
I fished the town water when there once in October and it was great. Google Duranglers or Animas Valley Anglers. Both outfits are great and will help you get going...there are other waters close by, Like the Delores, and obviously the SJ, but if you have limited time or transportation, the town water will not disappoint if conditions are normal...

Take the train to Silverton if it runs that late in the year.

Check the weather...it gets chilly in Durango.
Exactly what I did when I was there a few years back, limited time so just fished through town.

We took the train to Silverton and I dream of the train dropping me off and spending a few days wandering up the Animas towards Silverton