The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2012, 02:16 PM

cgrphoto is on a distinguished road
Default Anyone been on the S. Platte lately?

Considering a day trip to Cheesman Canyon or Deckers area this week as the weather is looking up. I've never gone this late in the season, and Flies n Lies hasn't posted any reports since July. Was checking on here to see if anyone has been fishing within the past week or so and can maybe pass along some advice as to times, patterns, etc. Presumably we're still seeing some action on BWOs/midges, juju's, merc's, but thought I'd ask any of you knowledgeable folks!!!

Thanks in advance.

- Guy with fishing problem.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:21 PM

nickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Anyone been on the S. Platte lately?

Drove through Deckers Friday, the water's really low. No, I didn't fish it, I don't care for the crowds.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:14 PM

Yes 100cfs. They put the reports on a different page recently. Thanks for the observations....
Old 10-16-2012, 10:40 AM

Went down yesterday. Read up on the spawning browns, and was able to avoid the redds and pairs - not many to be seen really thus far.

100cfs, a little low but still clear and cold. Fished combos of a Pats/grey RS2 and mercury midge, and the results were beyond my expectations. Despite the crowding, if you're adventurous enough, you can have a stretch of river all to yourself. All in all, landed 10 fish, but probably had over 20 hookups.

Get down there if you can!

This hog caught me off guard. My 5wt is under repair so I fished the 3wt. Took about 5 minutes to get this boss in the net!
Click the image to open in full size.

Another beauty:
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:01 AM

nickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the rough

Nice looking fish, I love rainbows. Drove through Deckers yesterday ... 7:30 AM the parking lot was full, cars were parked along the road. Drove back through around 2... even more cars, fishermen in ther water where the fish are, not quite shoulder-to-shoulder but way too many for me.