The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2012, 01:34 PM

trout333 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: South Platte River Deckers Report

LOL, Orvis hatch... I like that one!

I have to say that my attitude has adjusted dramatically about rude people and/or fishing crowded areas. There are tons of rude people out there in the world and it doesn't bother me anymore. Why let some miserable soul make me misearable? Sometimes I just ignore it, sometimes I can help them snap out of it, other times I'll throw it back in their face ten times worse. Let me tell you, its liberating.

Often my fishing buddies will turn real sour upon arriving to a fishing hole and seeing other anglers. I used to be that way but not anymore. I'm more than happy to work around other anglers and with a genuine smile! Often times I'll move right up to a recently vacated run and nail fish after fish when the angler before couldn't pull a single fish. I find comfort in the fact that I'm a better angler than the average fly fisher so I know I can get out there and still have fun and catch fish.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:27 PM

cgrphoto is on a distinguished road

Trout333, So true about being soured by other fishermen - seriously, this is MY river, what gives???

I, too have just learned to deal with crowds. Avoidance is the best method. If the river's full, move to another spot- easy as that.

There are many fly fishermen now, like there are skiers, golfers, cyclists, hunters... the list goes on... I'm a younger generation in my late 30s, and I understand the frustration of old timers... it's hard to see a special spot you once had all to yourself packed full of crowds now.

The thing is, on the South Platte, a good mid-week day will allow you some isolation - especially if you get your a$$ up there early, you can have the river to yourself at least for a few hours. I am fortunate enough to run my own business, so it affords me weekdays off from time to time. I do take advantage of this, which means I avoid the weekend crowds. But, sometiems I do go on the weekends with buddies, and you just learn to coexist. And SMILE

In conclusion, I like to think about the adage, 'A bad day fishing is better than the best day at work'. We're all very lucky to have this incredible tailwater in our backyard, we're blessed with our health and the ability to go fishing, and lastly, the fact that we have people (TU, flyshops, guides) that help keep the fishing as good as it can be.

Happy New Year everyone! Best of luck in 2013!
Old 01-06-2013, 04:55 PM

silvertip8k has a spectacular aura aboutsilvertip8k has a spectacular aura about

I always look at the report etc from this area...I lived a few miles upstream..now I am absent...and it sounds like nothing has changed...

I do remember catching it a few times when everyone thought it was packed...and it wasnt...those early july caddis hatches were insane...

I pretty much hiked in the gill trail...and just left deckers alone...too many cool spots in the canyon...and I always enjoyed the hike...I liked thinking up names for my fav spots...echo rock...dinosaur eggs...just for my own amuzement....some of you will know exactly where I am talking about...say hello for me...

a good remedy for many of the so called intruders is this...say hi to them...and give them a fly you tied...all of us...even guys that grew up drinking horse creek water are relatively new...10,000 years is just a blink of the eye to that area...those folks just want to have some of what many of us know about too...it is something of great value...

may the new year bring you all great things...t

ted...trout bum/wandering monk
public water 20"er
public land pope & young

Breac à linne, slat à coille is fiadh à f́reach - mèirle às nach do ghabh gàidheal riamh nàire.
a fish from the river, a rod from the woods and a stag from the mountain , thefts ne'er a Gael was ashamed
...and old gaelic proverb...

my blog & website
http://wmflyrodco.com/
Old 02-27-2013, 09:38 AM

slicedog is on a distinguished road

Anyone been up to deckers lately? I know the flows are lower but I am planning to go up on the 9th of march and wanted to see if it is fishing well right now.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:23 PM

double dry is on a distinguished road

Slicedog,

I've been on it. Check out the weekly river report on the flies and lies website. Updated yesterday. Oh, by the way, it's fishing pretty well and the flows were bumped up a bit yesterday.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:19 AM

slicedog is on a distinguished road

Thanks double dry! I will check out the site now.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:48 PM

silvertip8k has a spectacular aura aboutsilvertip8k has a spectacular aura about

just chiming in to say thanks for the report...Deckers is fun...I used to fish a lot above there a bit where the gravel road goes up the bank...almost to the campground...that was always a good spot this time of year...

and who knows...a few wig wammers might swim by...

thanks again...t

ted...trout bum/wandering monk
public water 20"er
public land pope & young

Breac à linne, slat à coille is fiadh à f́reach - mèirle às nach do ghabh gàidheal riamh nàire.
a fish from the river, a rod from the woods and a stag from the mountain , thefts ne'er a Gael was ashamed
...and old gaelic proverb...

my blog & website
http://wmflyrodco.com/