The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By mcnerney
  • 1 Post By mcnerney

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2012, 01:20 PM

chris_n is on a distinguished road
Default Wading Green River Utah

Does anyone know if there are any wadable fishing locations on the Green River in Utah, I have never been out there and I know a lot of guys float it but if you know of a general area that is wadable I would really appreciate it.
Old 11-06-2012, 03:05 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wading Green River Utah

Chris: I'm assuming you mean below Flaming Gorge. That land is all BLM land so it is all public access and the BLM has built a walking path from the dam all the way through the canyon on the "A Section" to the first takeout called Little Hole. You access the dam end by driving down to the dam and parking in the upper lot and taking the staircase down to the water or you access the other end by turning off the hwy at the Trout Creek Flies fly shop/convenience store/gas station and following the paved road down to Little Hole (there is a fee for parking) and then you can access the trail to the right of the parking lot. There also is a trail that leads down river to some camp sites (on the B Section, no camping on the A section), but I think it only goes down a mile or so, not sure on the distance. The distance from the dam to Little Hole is 7 miles so even in the summer months there is a lot of room to spread out, the only issue in the summer months is the tube hatch, lots of folks like to float the river in inner tubes!
Checkout the Trout Creek Flies web site, they have a lot of information on the river, camping, etc.

Larry
imxer, Hardyreels and fredaevans like this.

Old 11-06-2012, 04:22 PM

chris_n is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the info I will defiently check out the website below. Are both sections of the river wadeable or is one better then the other? Also any ideas on what hatches go off in November?
Old 11-06-2012, 06:19 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_n View Post
Thanks for the info I will defiently check out the website below. Are both sections of the river wadeable or is one better then the other? Also any ideas on what hatches go off in November?
Chris: They divide the Green into the A Section, B Section and C Section. The A Section is the easiest to wade as it has a walking path along the river, then the B Section for about a mile has a trail, other then that it is best to float. You can wade anywhere along the river, the issue is getting there, that is why I said floating is best on the B and C sections. Checkout the hatch chart on the Trout Creek Flies web site, my guess is that it will be primarily midges and BWO's. I have never been down there this late in the year, I usually go in the spring before Memorial Day as the tuber hatch hasn't got started and then in Sept to float the B Section. When you look at the wx forecast take that with tongue in cheek. I've been down there when they forecast 50 degree wx and it turns out to be snow and high of 35.

Larry
oarfish likes this.

Old 07-18-2013, 11:52 AM

jimbaker488 is on a distinguished road

Ran across this thread when Googling "Green River" and it includes some very helpful and specific directions by Larry, but it should perhaps be moved to the "Western U.S." section of "Fly Fishing in the U.S." ?
Old 07-21-2014, 06:48 PM

Joey Bagels is on a distinguished road
Default Wading Green River Utah

Plenty. Check out my report from last week. You can walk the entire 7 miles between the dam and Little Hole. Great fishing all along the way.
Yikes...I just looked at the date and realize I'm about 2 years too tardy.

Last edited by Joey Bagels; 07-21-2014 at 06:49 PM. Reason: date check