The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 04:19 PM

missin44 is on a distinguished road
Question Fontenelle, WY

Last month I was able to fish the Green River below Fontenelle Reservoir. While there I was had a short conversation with a guy that was just leaving, he told me I should give Fontenelle Creek a try. There isn't a lot of info on Fontenelle Creek. It seems a lot or a least some is on private property. Is there anyone here that can shed some light on the creek in regard to access, public water, etc.?

Thanks
Old 11-12-2012, 05:07 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fontenelle, WY

I've fished below Fontenelle a number of times, but sorry I don't know the details you are asking. Maybe a stop at the nearest Game and Fish office is in order?

Edit:
I did a Google search and it looks to be on public land, take a look at this link: http://publiclands.org/explore/site.php?id=1679

Larry

Larry
Old 11-12-2012, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
I've fished below Fontenelle a number of times, but sorry I don't know the details you are asking. Maybe a stop at the nearest Game and Fish office is in order?

Larry
After few Google attempts the most I have found out is that there is about a 3 miles stretch on BLM land sandwitched between private property. It seems the creek is on the west side or the reservoir. I found a little info from a website called the Solitary Angler, but they are only talking about the privete sections.

Anyway I'll keep looking, thanks.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:25 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, the creek is on the west side of the reservoir, hwy 189 goes over it, but I have never stopped to check it out.

Larry
Old 11-12-2012, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Yes, the creek is on the west side of the reservoir, hwy 189 goes over it, but I have never stopped to check it out.
Thanks Larry. Looks like a nice stream. If you ever give it a try I would like to know what you think. Since I'm from Virginia when I'm in the area my time is very limited, as a result my cances to just explore are also limited.

BTW - As I'm sure you know, below the dam is in a word - "quality"
Old 11-12-2012, 07:04 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by missin44 View Post
Thanks Larry. Looks like a nice stream. If you ever give it a try I would like to know what you think. Since I'm from Virginia when I'm in the area my time is very limited, as a result my cances to just explore are also limited.

BTW - As I'm sure you know, below the dam is in a word - "quality"
OK, I thought you were local. The next time you are in the area, give me a shout, I can head you into much better water and can give you a big lead on how to fish below Fontenelle. If you have time we could also do a float together if you're up for that as I have a drift boat.

Larry

Larry
Old 11-22-2012, 10:33 AM

jimbaker488 is on a distinguished road

Fish*ing the Smith’s Fork and Fontenelle Creek is like tak*ing a step back in time, when there were only wild, clear, cold free*stone moun*tain streams; before dams! Wildlife abounds and you can fish for an entire sum*mer with*out fish*ing the same place twice. We have access to sev*eral miles of the best pri*vate fish*ing on the three best streams in the region. The best time to fish this region is from July 1st through Octo*ber 31st . Come float the Green with one of our guides and wade-fish on sprawl*ing ranches where the trout are wild and the scenery is boundless!
Southwest Wyoming | Flyfishing with The Solitary Angler
This looks to be a pretty good website re info on the Fontenelle Creek and area.
I drove thru this general area from the north on the way back to catch my flt in SLC last year and it has some interesting looking streams, very remote with probably minimal fishing pressure.
Old 11-23-2012, 10:01 AM

Quote:
OK, I thought you were local. The next time you are in the area, give me a shout, I can head you into much better water and can give you a big lead on how to fish below Fontenelle. If you have time we could also do a float together if you're up for that as I have a drift boat.

Larry
Thanks Larry, I may very well take you up on your offer. Moving to CO this spring so your area only 6 1/2 hour drive vs. 3 days.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:30 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by missin44 View Post
Thanks Larry, I may very well take you up on your offer. Moving to CO this spring so your area only 6 1/2 hour drive vs. 3 days.
Sounds good! Colorado also has some awesome fishing, you just have to work a little harder to avoid the crowds. My son lives in Milliken, CO which is about a six hour drive, I just hate driving on I-80 with all that truck traffic.

Larry

Larry