The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2012, 03:44 PM

countr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud of
Question Status of the Y. Lake Cutts in the Upper Yellowstone River and Thorofare

I was hoping to attain some current data on the status of the Yellowstone Lake cutt population and more precisely the migration data for the lake cutthroat spawn up into the Upper Yellowstone River and Thorofare Creek in the Teton Wilderness. I did a few minutes of research and could not really find much up to date info. I know the Wyo Fish & Game folks have been actively trying to reduce the lake trout population in Yellowstone Lake. How are their efforts holding up?

To be selfish, my main concern is the early summer fishing in the Thorofare region of the Teton Wilderness. I know the spawn migration of the lake run cutts in the Thorofare has been severely depleted the last decade. But is it getting any better?

I am probably backpacking into the Thorofare in July. Even if the migration of the lake cutts is poor I am going in there anyway to fish for the resident cutts in deep Grizzly and wolf country.....something that appeals to me. I was hoping that the migration has picked up a little bit over the last few years because I've read the lake cutts linger and feed many weeks after completing their spawn. I would love to fish for both the residents and the visitors.

Thanks for any help.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:13 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Status of the Y. Lake Cutts in the Upper Yellowstone River and Thorofare

Take a look at this article, it might provide some insight: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/24/us...pagewanted=all

Larry

Old 11-25-2012, 05:26 PM

countr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Status of the Y. Lake Cutts in the Upper Yellowstone River and Thorofare

Thanks Larry, that's an interesting article. I like the idea of the G&F folks tagging the big lakers trying to find their spawning grounds deep down in the lake. That's a shame there are actually D-bags out there that are fighting for the lakers just for the simple idea of better eating for humans. What a joke. Ignorance to ecosystem balance and sustainability makes me sick. Same thing as the moronic ranchers and hunters all through the West that want the wolf packs eradicated. Some folks just cannot accept the fact that humans are allowed to go without mountains of beef to make us obese and endless elk herds to pick off while hunting.

Oh well, sounds like the Wyo officials currently have the right idea about actively seeking out the lakers' spawning grounds. It does us no good this summer but hopefully in ten years they will have the epidemic some what under control.

I think I need to contact Wyo G&F directly and to get some solid up to date info as far as the migration surge up into the Thorofare.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:33 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by countr21 View Post
I think I need to contact Wyo G&F directly and to get some solid up to date info as far as the migration surge up into the Thorofare.
Contacting the Wyo G&F folks will probably be the only way to find that kind of information. Good luck!

Larry

Old 11-26-2012, 07:14 PM

Poke 'Em is a jewel in the roughPoke 'Em is a jewel in the roughPoke 'Em is a jewel in the roughPoke 'Em is a jewel in the rough

Fisheries Restoration Efforts Remove 300,000 Non-native Lake Trout - Yellowstone National Park

Quote:
Yellowstone National Park removed more than 300,000 lake trout in 2012, bringing the total to more than 1.1 million of the non-native fish removed from Yellowstone Lake since they were first discovered in 1994.
They removed over 300,000 lakers this year alone. That's over 25% of the total number that have been removed in the last 18 years.

Quote:
However, after several years of sustained lake trout removal efforts, cutthroat trout population monitoring indicated an increase in abundance of young juveniles in 2012.
So the program's working. We've got a ways to go, but things are finally starting to look promising. It will probably be a few more years until you see a really noticeable difference up in the Thorofare, but we're moving in the right direction.