The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

View Poll Results: Do you fish during the Winter?
Yes, as much as I can. 23 60.53%
Occasionally, a few trips here and there. 15 39.47%
Never, it's way too cold! 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2012, 08:25 PM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice
Default Re: Winter Fishing

You're lucky to be able to fish this late. My season is a short four and a half months long.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:50 AM

Poke 'Em is a jewel in the roughPoke 'Em is a jewel in the roughPoke 'Em is a jewel in the roughPoke 'Em is a jewel in the rough

90% of my fly fishing comes at high elevation mountain streams. So, my fishing slows dramatically in the winter, just because I can't even get to where I would fish.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:53 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

I'm fortunate to have three different tailwaters within a reasonable driving distance so getting out in the winter to cure the itch to wet a line is pretty easy for me.

Larry

Old 11-29-2012, 10:01 AM

watson has a spectacular aura aboutwatson has a spectacular aura about

My fishing partner and I have a ritual of fishing at the least every Friday, regardless of the time of year.

Sure there are times when I wonder what the hell I am doing driving in a snowstorm like this, or straight up know that if I am lucky there may only be an hour or two of bliss, but after a long summer of chasing and hunting trout the serenity is always a reminder for me to slow down and enjoy the true beauty that surrounds us and that catching fish is just an added bonus.
Cheers,
Watson
mcnerney likes this.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:11 AM
Business Member

CutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to behold

Fish are still there, but the crowds are gone. We have two great Tailwater fisheries close by..... Life is good.

Mike
Hand Woven Furled Leaders
Site: http://www.cutthroatfurledleaders.com/
email. mike@cutthroatleader.com
Old 11-30-2012, 08:41 AM

coolkyle is on a distinguished road

I love the quiet of a snow-lined stream in winter. Once you find a fish, there are usually a bunch where it came from. I've found that high-sticking with a long leader is the ticket when the guides are freezing. This way as soon as my line stops flowing I can just pretend my nymph rod is a tenkara
Old 11-30-2012, 09:51 AM

lightline is a jewel in the roughlightline is a jewel in the roughlightline is a jewel in the roughlightline is a jewel in the rough

I'm lucky to have a tail water very close with rising fish 365 days a year. I can go throw dries any time I want, provided its not blowing a gale. Mostly midges and tiny mayflies, but I've taken fish on small hoppers, beetles, and ants in January! I go during bankers hours, when its above freezing, mostly sunny, and no wind.

I say again, "Support Global Warming!"
Old 11-30-2012, 10:21 AM

trout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to behold

We fish all year, due to the easy access to many elevations ( and weather conditions ) within a short distance, there are many choices in water types and species to pursue.

We’re lucky kids. TT