The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

View Poll Results: Do you fish during the Winter?
Yes, as much as I can. 23 60.53%
Occasionally, a few trips here and there. 15 39.47%
Never, it's way too cold! 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2012, 12:40 PM

cgrphoto is on a distinguished road
Default Winter Fishing

Thought it would be fun to see who tries their luck in the winter months out West. This is my first year ever going this late into the season, and have had decent success. Just wondering if I ought to hang up the gear or continue on through til Spring.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:26 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Winter Fishing

Can't stop and help fishing...I'm lucky to live in a region where it's often sunny(2800 hours a year)...but it's also often windy...
Old 11-28-2012, 01:30 PM

spiderninja will become famous soon enough

Is it considered fly fishing if you drill a hole in the ice and jig a bugger or chironomid?
Old 11-28-2012, 01:58 PM

double dry is on a distinguished road

I love winter fly fishing! Get most of my own fishing and a handful of guide trips in the winter months. Living 35 minutes from a tailwater helps....
williamhj likes this.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:06 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

There's enough clear, sunny days where it feels much warmer than it really is. I don't like fishing < 32, just because freeing the guides of ice is annoying
Old 11-28-2012, 03:07 PM

thorsten has a spectacular aura aboutthorsten has a spectacular aura aboutthorsten has a spectacular aura about

I will go fishing as often as possible this winter A day without fishing is a lost day

THORSTEN
Old 11-28-2012, 03:38 PM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

I fish til it's frozen.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:24 PM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma

On occassion for me. Depends more on the air temp than the water conditions. Though I prefer higher pools and Clousers in the winter.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:38 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I go as much as I can. I'm more than 30 min from a tailwater so it's tough to get the time to dedicate once the non-tailwaters get too icy. It's tough fishing generally, but I'm always glad to get out and the streams can be so beautiful in the winter. Half the fun is heading out into the mountains with my brother. The drive is always nice, unless we hit a bad storm, and I can smoke my pipe without worrying about starting a wildfire.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:20 PM

Troutwhisperer will become famous soon enoughTroutwhisperer will become famous soon enough

I only fish tailwaters so it never ends for me. In fact I'm headed out camping this weekend. Catch the tail end of the streamers before things really hit the winter slumber and don't want to chase anything.

"I have a river runs through it on blue ray, so yeah, I guess you could say I know a thing or two about fly fishing."

http://mtwhitefish.blogspot.com