The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By williamhj

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2012, 04:01 PM

bassguitarplayer has a spectacular aura aboutbassguitarplayer has a spectacular aura aboutbassguitarplayer has a spectacular aura about
Default Behind Aspen Grove Mall

Anyone ever fish there?

I saw signs saying you can fish there. I'm just wondering if anyone has tried. The water is so low right now though, I wonder if there's anything alive in there.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:40 PM

nickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Behind Aspen Grove Mall

Back on the old Fly Fisherman forum there were a couple guys who fished the downtown Platte, said they caught some trout and some big carp as I recall. Not anything you'd want to eat, although they said the people who lived down there wanted them.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:15 PM

bassguitarplayer has a spectacular aura aboutbassguitarplayer has a spectacular aura aboutbassguitarplayer has a spectacular aura about

Has anyone fished there lately?
Old 11-29-2012, 09:59 PM

gjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the rough

I have fished there a number of times. It used to have some really nice fish in it just a few years ago, but at the current flows (or lack thereof), I haven't seen any fish for the past year. It got pretty hot this summer and there was no water. They have stocked it before, but I don't know about recently. There used to be a sign near the map at the Ranger's Station that told when it had been stocked. I doubt the fish are dead, but they have probably moved up or downstream or into one of the lakes that connect upstream. I "fished" it about a month ago and didn't even sniff a strike. Another fisherman said he hadn't caught anything the last three times. There just isn't anywhere for fish to hold really.

Gary
Old 11-29-2012, 10:40 PM

Yeah that's what I kinda figured. The flows seemed really low when I scoped it out.

Ok good to know. Thank you.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:49 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I've fished it a bit further South, starting above 470 where there is a parking lot. There are fish there, not great fishing but close to town if you're desperate and can't be out of cell phone (or pager in my case) range.
bassguitarplayer likes this.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:08 AM

son_of_simon is on a distinguished road

I just moved back to Denver in October and wanted to check it out (since I had never really fished it). After a few hours of not seeing any signs of trout (or carp for that matter) in the skinny flows, I was about ready to leave. Then a beatis hatch started coming off and fish started rising. I switched over to an adams and started getting fish. Funny thing was, that I got into a bunch of small bass, all taking emergers just under the surface. The fish were small but I had a blast catching well into double digits of the little guys. The biggest may have gone 9 or 10 inches.
I sure would like to find some trout down there, but with flows creeping through there, it looks to be tough. There were some good looking holding spots in the river, just no fish where you'd expect to find them.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 12-25-2012, 06:11 PM

pb_colorado is on a distinguished road

there is an outfitter who offers wade trips on any section of the SP from C470 all the way to downtown. he offers it more for carp fishing but there are trout there as well: http://coloradoskiesoutfitters.com/c...nymphing-carp/

i am pictured on the left with the "carp double". on that 1/2 day trip our group of three landed 4 carp and 2 rainbows in the 18" range. we were out in early march near oxford and santa fe, so the water temps were plenty cold. i personally think the trout fishing would be better as you move further south towards C470 where the water temps in the summer would remain consistently cooler (even with less flow) closer to the reservoir release and the water quality is less questionable due to urban run off. as others have said, an urban option if you are looking to wet your line in town.

Last edited by pb_colorado; 01-04-2013 at 05:25 PM.