The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2012, 04:45 PM

gjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the rough
Default Wind River/ Upper Bighorn Advice

Has anybody ever fished the Wind River Canyon through Thermopolis during late March? I have some time off and was interested in fishing this section from a drift boat. I know the weather in the Rockies can be unpredictable, but if it is really cold or really windy in general this time of year, I might want to consider somewhere else. Also, has anybody stayed up there and can recommend a clean, cheap fishing hotel?

Thanks,

Gary
Old 12-02-2012, 05:03 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wind River/ Upper Bighorn Advice

Gary

I have never floated that section of river in March, we usually go over there in May. I would take a look on the USGS web site and see what the flows are doing historically for that time of year below Bowsen Reservoir.......I'm guessing it is pretty much the same as in May except when they do the flush. When we float that river we usually stay in Lander or Riverton as there is more options for dining, but the drive gets to be a pain. Thermopolis is mostly fast food. PM me if you want more specifics.

Larry

Larry
Old 12-03-2012, 02:10 PM

gjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Wind River/ Upper Bighorn Advice

Thanks, Larry.

We have two plans depending on the weather.

1. Fish the Bighorn above Yellowtail in Thermopolis and then from Fort Smith all the way down toward Xavier in four days. The entire length for all practical purposes.

2. Fish the San Juan and then head up to Glenwood and hit the lower Colorado.

Either way we win, huh?

I will get some info from you if it looks like we are heading that way.

Gary