The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2012, 09:35 AM

fishngolf16 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Arkansas River

Just a reminder Royal Gorge Anglers moved from the downtown location to just outside Canon going west up the river toward Salida.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:51 AM

jhardin80 is on a distinguished road

Did I mention I really like this forum? You guys are awesome!!! Thanks for all the great feedback on this. I can't wait to get down there right after Christmas with my new fly rod I'm not supposed to know about.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:04 AM

Well I made it down to the Arkansas this Saturday. Turned out to be a beautiful day! We parked in the second parking lot on the Nature Center side this time and walked upstream a little ways. I found a nice pool right behind some riffles, I put on a dry and then a copper john (I think) Cast a bit into the pool with nothing. I kept seeing this one fish upstream a little ways coming to the top so I thought I would move up there and cast to him. As I walked upstream a little ways I left my line in the pool to just sit there until I could get upstream the 15 feet or so. As i was about the cast to the new fish I felt a tug on my line, low and behold I had a fish on from the pool.

I landed him easily as you can see in the pic. So I cast a few more times into the pool and about 3 casts in, I had another fish on! At this point I had too much slack so I held the line while trying to reel some in so I wouldn't trip myself and as I was about the let some line out for the fish to run a little he pulled hard and broke my fly off my line. Here is a pic of the only fish I caught that day but still had a great time!!!

Click the image to open in full size.
mcnerney and williamhj like this.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:48 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats on the great looking trout! It sounds like by leaving your line in the pool as you walked upstream, was that the extra time let the fly sink closer to the bottom. Next time try waiting longer to allow the fly to sink to the bottom or add more weight to your rig.

Larry
jhardin80 likes this.

Old 12-17-2012, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Congrats on the great looking trout! It sounds like by leaving your line in the pool as you walked upstream, was that the extra time let the fly sink closer to the bottom. Next time try waiting longer to allow the fly to sink to the bottom or add more weight to your rig.

Larry
I agree with ya on that!!!!

The funny thing was, there was a lot of fish coming to the top to feed, even jumping completely out of the water. I tried like crazy to get some of the top feeders to bite but not a single one. Oh well, still a great time.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:17 PM

nickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of light

Sounds like they were taking emergers. Next time, if the CJ isn't working, try an RS2 as the second fly.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickj View Post
Sounds like they were taking emergers. Next time, if the CJ isn't working, try an RS2 as the second fly.
If I had the right fly then I did try the RS2, if I remember right it was a white-ish color with a clear or white "plastic ring" at the tip, not a bead really.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:12 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhardin80 View Post
I agree with ya on that!!!!

The funny thing was, there was a lot of fish coming to the top to feed, even jumping completely out of the water. I tried like crazy to get some of the top feeders to bite but not a single one. Oh well, still a great time.
OK, sounds good. I agree with Nick on trying emergers next time. I like to use something I can see, say a parachute adams with an emerger tied off the bend of the hook, that way you can see your fly. Another pattern to try would be a Griffiths Gnate pattern to imitate a midge cluster.
Here is what the RS-2 pattern looks like, it is a killer pattern especially this time of year.
Charlie's FlyBox - Colorado's Best FlyShop and online Fly Tying Tutorials

Larry
jhardin80 likes this.

Old 12-17-2012, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
OK, sounds good. I agree with Nick on trying emergers next time. I like to use something I can see, say a parachute adams with an emerger tied off the bend of the hook, that way you can see your fly. Another pattern to try would be a Griffiths Gnate pattern to imitate a midge cluster.
Here is what the RS-2 pattern looks like, it is a killer pattern especially this time of year.
Charlie's FlyBox - Colorado's Best FlyShop and online Fly Tying Tutorials

Larry
That's basically what it looked like but with the clear plastic bead for the "head". Do I need to add a weight to it or just leave it behind my larger dry fly? Do you have any suggestion on what dry flies to use with this? I have yet to have a hit on any dry flies, it's always on my dropper (I think that's what it's called).
Old 12-17-2012, 05:42 PM

nickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhardin80 View Post
That's basically what it looked like but with the clear plastic bead for the "head". Do I need to add a weight to it or just leave it behind my larger dry fly? Do you have any suggestion on what dry flies to use with this? I have yet to have a hit on any dry flies, it's always on my dropper (I think that's what it's called).
No weight for me. Tie it about 20" or so off the dry, it'll be subsurface. As for the dry, someone who's familiar with the river can advise you better than me, but I'd probably bet on a small Elk Hair Caddis to start with.