The North American Fly Fishing Forum


Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree9Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 12-09-2012, 09:35 AM
fishngolf16's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 93
fishngolf16 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Arkansas River

Just a reminder Royal Gorge Anglers moved from the downtown location to just outside Canon going west up the river toward Salida.
__________________
Coy
"Share your passion with others"
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 12-10-2012, 09:51 AM
jhardin80's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Colorado Springs, CO.
Posts: 134
jhardin80 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Arkansas River

Did I mention I really like this forum? You guys are awesome!!! Thanks for all the great feedback on this. I can't wait to get down there right after Christmas with my new fly rod I'm not supposed to know about.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 12-17-2012, 11:04 AM
jhardin80's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Colorado Springs, CO.
Posts: 134
jhardin80 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Arkansas River

Well I made it down to the Arkansas this Saturday. Turned out to be a beautiful day! We parked in the second parking lot on the Nature Center side this time and walked upstream a little ways. I found a nice pool right behind some riffles, I put on a dry and then a copper john (I think) Cast a bit into the pool with nothing. I kept seeing this one fish upstream a little ways coming to the top so I thought I would move up there and cast to him. As I walked upstream a little ways I left my line in the pool to just sit there until I could get upstream the 15 feet or so. As i was about the cast to the new fish I felt a tug on my line, low and behold I had a fish on from the pool.

I landed him easily as you can see in the pic. So I cast a few more times into the pool and about 3 casts in, I had another fish on! At this point I had too much slack so I held the line while trying to reel some in so I wouldn't trip myself and as I was about the let some line out for the fish to run a little he pulled hard and broke my fly off my line. Here is a pic of the only fish I caught that day but still had a great time!!!


Click the image to open in full size.
mcnerney and williamhj like this.
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 12-17-2012, 11:48 AM
mcnerney's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Pinedale, WY
Posts: 13,334
Blog Entries: 49
mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Arkansas River

Congrats on the great looking trout! It sounds like by leaving your line in the pool as you walked upstream, was that the extra time let the fly sink closer to the bottom. Next time try waiting longer to allow the fly to sink to the bottom or add more weight to your rig.

Larry
jhardin80 likes this.
__________________
Larry

Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 12-17-2012, 11:57 AM
jhardin80's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Colorado Springs, CO.
Posts: 134
jhardin80 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Arkansas River

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Congrats on the great looking trout! It sounds like by leaving your line in the pool as you walked upstream, was that the extra time let the fly sink closer to the bottom. Next time try waiting longer to allow the fly to sink to the bottom or add more weight to your rig.

Larry
I agree with ya on that!!!!

The funny thing was, there was a lot of fish coming to the top to feed, even jumping completely out of the water. I tried like crazy to get some of the top feeders to bite but not a single one. Oh well, still a great time.
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 12-17-2012, 02:17 PM
nickj's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Mid-coast Maine
Posts: 619
nickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Arkansas River

Sounds like they were taking emergers. Next time, if the CJ isn't working, try an RS2 as the second fly.
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 12-17-2012, 02:30 PM
jhardin80's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Colorado Springs, CO.
Posts: 134
jhardin80 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Arkansas River

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickj View Post
Sounds like they were taking emergers. Next time, if the CJ isn't working, try an RS2 as the second fly.
If I had the right fly then I did try the RS2, if I remember right it was a white-ish color with a clear or white "plastic ring" at the tip, not a bead really.
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 12-17-2012, 03:12 PM
mcnerney's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Pinedale, WY
Posts: 13,334
Blog Entries: 49
mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Arkansas River

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhardin80 View Post
I agree with ya on that!!!!

The funny thing was, there was a lot of fish coming to the top to feed, even jumping completely out of the water. I tried like crazy to get some of the top feeders to bite but not a single one. Oh well, still a great time.
OK, sounds good. I agree with Nick on trying emergers next time. I like to use something I can see, say a parachute adams with an emerger tied off the bend of the hook, that way you can see your fly. Another pattern to try would be a Griffiths Gnate pattern to imitate a midge cluster.
Here is what the RS-2 pattern looks like, it is a killer pattern especially this time of year.
Charlie's FlyBox - Colorado's Best FlyShop and online Fly Tying Tutorials

Larry
jhardin80 likes this.
__________________
Larry

Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 12-17-2012, 04:36 PM
jhardin80's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Colorado Springs, CO.
Posts: 134
jhardin80 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Arkansas River

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
OK, sounds good. I agree with Nick on trying emergers next time. I like to use something I can see, say a parachute adams with an emerger tied off the bend of the hook, that way you can see your fly. Another pattern to try would be a Griffiths Gnate pattern to imitate a midge cluster.
Here is what the RS-2 pattern looks like, it is a killer pattern especially this time of year.
Charlie's FlyBox - Colorado's Best FlyShop and online Fly Tying Tutorials

Larry
That's basically what it looked like but with the clear plastic bead for the "head". Do I need to add a weight to it or just leave it behind my larger dry fly? Do you have any suggestion on what dry flies to use with this? I have yet to have a hit on any dry flies, it's always on my dropper (I think that's what it's called).
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 12-17-2012, 05:42 PM
nickj's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Mid-coast Maine
Posts: 619
nickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Arkansas River

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhardin80 View Post
That's basically what it looked like but with the clear plastic bead for the "head". Do I need to add a weight to it or just leave it behind my larger dry fly? Do you have any suggestion on what dry flies to use with this? I have yet to have a hit on any dry flies, it's always on my dropper (I think that's what it's called).
No weight for me. Tie it about 20" or so off the dry, it'll be subsurface. As for the dry, someone who's familiar with the river can advise you better than me, but I'd probably bet on a small Elk Hair Caddis to start with.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Arkansas River Report gjcordray Rocky Mountain Range 1 09-12-2012 09:28 PM
Arkansas' White River- russellb General Discussion 19 04-25-2011 05:43 AM
Arkansas River suggestions hypobaricstalker Rocky Mountain Range 6 04-21-2011 11:11 PM
Arkansas River Neptune General Discussion 3 08-23-2007 10:50 AM













All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
2005-2014 The North American Fly Fishing Forum. All rights reserved.