The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2012, 05:57 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Arkansas River

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhardin80 View Post
That's basically what it looked like but with the clear plastic bead for the "head". Do I need to add a weight to it or just leave it behind my larger dry fly? Do you have any suggestion on what dry flies to use with this? I have yet to have a hit on any dry flies, it's always on my dropper (I think that's what it's called).
The RS-2 pattern doesn't use a bead, but that isn't to say that your pattern wouldn't also work, if you tried using it in the surface film. Like Nick recommended, you don't want to use weight if your seeing fish coming to the surface. I don't fish that far south, but I like Nick's idea, use an EHC pattern or better yet a X-Caddis pattern as it sits lower in the water, but basically I would approach it as an indicator this time of year and expect most hits on the dropper, but you might also get some hits on the dry. There are a number of midge patterns that might also be productive as a dropper. You might enjoy spending some time exploring the Midge Manifestos Blog, he has a number of midge patterns that he uses on the Poudre and he also fishes the Arkansas. Do a Google search for his site and then on the left side bar scroll down through his patterns and you will get an idea of the patterns he likes.

Larry

Old 12-18-2012, 08:36 AM
jhardin80 is on a distinguished road

I'm going to have to quit talking to you guys. Every time I get on here I end up going back to get more stuff at the fly shop. LOL

Thanks for the great info. I will definitely try that next time I'm down there. Of course, after I stop by the fly shop.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:40 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhardin80 View Post
I'm going to have to quit talking to you guys. Every time I get on here I end up going back to get more stuff at the fly shop. LOL

Thanks for the great info. I will definitely try that next time I'm down there. Of course, after I stop by the fly shop.
LOL! That is where tying your flies really shines. Once you have the basic tools, tying midges and patterns like the Griffiths Gnat are pretty simple to learn and don't require a lot of materials, even the RS-2 isn't too difficult. Good luck!

Larry

Old 12-19-2012, 06:25 PM

gjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the rough

It sounds to me like you were using a mercury RS2. Pat Dorsey began fishing a variety of flies with small, clear beads on the heads a number of years ago in Cheesman Canyon. I use mercury midges the majority of the time during a hatch or in tough, winter conditions. The bead imitates the small air bubble the midge creates in order to surface. They are great droppers if a hatch is going on. The RS2 can be tied "mercury" as well.

As far as dries go...

If you are below Pueblo (which it sounds like you are if you are at the Nature Center and seeing lots of small fish rise), then you should focus on small parachute adams (20-24), griffith gnats (20) or other midge imitations in this size as a dropper. As a lead fly, probably a size 16-18 parachute adams.

If you are in Canon City, it really depends on the day and time of year - anything from hoppers to small stoneflies to caddis to baetis. Same goes for upstream all the way to Leadville. Read the Arkanglers and Royal Gorge Anglers fishing reports or the Drift fly shop for the tailwater.

Cheers,

Gary
jhardin80 likes this.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:45 PM

Looks like I'll be back down there this Saturday. I'll be sure to stop into the fly shop and pick up some more flies to try. I wish next week would hurry and get here so I can try out my new rod and reel.
Old 12-20-2012, 02:30 PM

cptxkirk will become famous soon enoughcptxkirk will become famous soon enough

Since we are talking about the Arkansas I figured this would be a decent place to post. I will be staying in Dillon for a week between xmas and new years. I am currently assessing my fishing options and the Ark sounds good. However I was under the assumption that it would be for the most part frozen over and unfishable? Is this not the case? Thanks in advance.
Old 12-20-2012, 02:42 PM

vitesse304 has a spectacular aura aboutvitesse304 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptxkirk View Post
Since we are talking about the Arkansas I figured this would be a decent place to post. I will be staying in Dillon for a week between xmas and new years. I am currently assessing my fishing options and the Ark sounds good. However I was under the assumption that it would be for the most part frozen over and unfishable? Is this not the case? Thanks in advance.
Too far to travel...why not fish some of the tailwaters?

I know you've fished the Blue...so why not check out the Frying Pan or the Yampa?

Technically, you could fish the Ark, and it's only about a 30-45 min drive out of town down towards Leadville, but the fishing here won't be as good as it is down south around Canon City and Pueblo. To get to that stretch, it's going to be about a 2 hour drive. Down south is the banana belt of the state and you can fish the ark from Salida to Pueblo all year long, but again, it's long drive for average fish.

Why leave the mountains to fish? You have a chance at bigger fish at the tailwaters up there...

But if you really want to head down there to fish, let me know. I'll be in Pueblo for xmas to new years and I'll be fishing the Pueblo tailwater and around canon city just about every day.
Old 12-20-2012, 02:53 PM

cptxkirk will become famous soon enoughcptxkirk will become famous soon enough

Well I was just gonna ask you if you want to take a day to fish the Pan? I just looked it up and it's not far from what I am used to driving to go fishing!
Old 12-20-2012, 03:02 PM

vitesse304 has a spectacular aura aboutvitesse304 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptxkirk View Post
Well I was just gonna ask you if you want to take a day to fish the Pan? I just looked it up and it's not far from what I am used to driving to go fishing!
I just got back from the Pan. Fishing was awesome! Bring at least 3 different types of mysis, all in size 18. Epoxy back, yarn/antron, and other variations. Flows are low (40CFS) so use a more "live" (clear) looking mysis. In addition, stock up on midges and you might try an egg or two.

Get there early and start at the toilet bowl. 3X leader and a 3 fly rig with some mysis, rainbow warriors, prince nymph, pheasant tails, etc...Then once the sun comes up and warms up the place, sight fish on the flats and fish bend hole. Then stop and fish the bridge hole on your way out. 6x leader downstream of the toilet bowl.

Get there early, because if you don't, someone will. They will then proceed to set up camp and monkey hump it all day long. There really isn't room at the toilet bowl for more than 2 people to get their rigs in the run. I recommend getting there right at the butt crack of dawn and pick up a few of those pigs before doing some "real" fly fishing on the flats and downstream.

Sorry for the hijack! Kirk, if you want to drive down to P-Lo and do some "urban" fishing, come on down. I'll show you around. Lots of water and lots of chances to practice your spanish and learn some new gang signs.
jhardin80 likes this.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjcordray View Post
It sounds to me like you were using a mercury RS2. Pat Dorsey began fishing a variety of flies with small, clear beads on the heads a number of years ago in Cheesman Canyon. I use mercury midges the majority of the time during a hatch or in tough, winter conditions. The bead imitates the small air bubble the midge creates in order to surface. They are great droppers if a hatch is going on. The RS2 can be tied "mercury" as well.

As far as dries go...

If you are below Pueblo (which it sounds like you are if you are at the Nature Center and seeing lots of small fish rise), then you should focus on small parachute adams (20-24), griffith gnats (20) or other midge imitations in this size as a dropper. As a lead fly, probably a size 16-18 parachute adams.

If you are in Canon City, it really depends on the day and time of year - anything from hoppers to small stoneflies to caddis to baetis. Same goes for upstream all the way to Leadville. Read the Arkanglers and Royal Gorge Anglers fishing reports or the Drift fly shop for the tailwater.

Cheers,

Gary
I stopped by and picked up some griffith gnats and parachute adams, so I think I'm ready to go tomorrow morning. Hitting the water pretty early this time so I guess we will see what happens.