The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Rocky Mountain Range (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/rocky-mountain-range/)
-   -   Arkansas River (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/rocky-mountain-range/304524-arkansas-river.html)

jhardin80 12-07-2012 11:50 AM

Arkansas River

I am planning on going to the Arkansas again but closer to Canon City. I'll take 115 down from the springs but where are places that I can go from there? I have never fished the Arkansas but once below the dam. I have no clue as to where to go by Canon City, I saw someone's post about the first two pullouts but have no clue where those are.

Thanks in advance any help!

williamhj 12-07-2012 12:33 PM

Re: Arkansas River

I haven't fished it that far South. If no one on here is able to help with the pull-out details give Royal Gorge Anglers down in Canon City a call. Depending on when you get to town to fish, stop by there. They might have more advice if you pick-up some flies :) Enjoy the fishing and let us know how it goes.

cochise 12-07-2012 02:22 PM

Lots of fishing between canon city and salida. If you are having troubles finding a spot shoot me a pm. The water all through the canyon is gorgeous, easy to read and very fish-able.

cochise 12-08-2012 09:30 AM

I shot you a pm.

tbblom 12-08-2012 10:30 AM

Last time I drove between Canon city and Salida, there were plenty of good pullouts to check out. I don't know any specific holes, but the river looks pretty easy to read and to find access from the highway.

A little far drive for me, but further south does sound appealing and warmer!

williamhj 12-08-2012 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbblom (Post 505252)
A little far drive for me, but further south does sound appealing and warmer!

I had the same thought.

nickj 12-08-2012 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cochise (Post 504987)
Lots of fishing between canon city and salida. If you are having troubles finding a spot shoot me a pm. The water all through the canyon is gorgeous, easy to read and very fish-able.

How is it further downstream, around Florence?

fishngolf16 12-09-2012 08:18 AM

My brother would kill me for discussing this in public but here you go. Down toward Florence can be very good but highly dependent on river flows. The numbers seem much lower down toward Florence and just after Florence but the the fish are healthy and can become quite large.

Just about the entire river through Canon City is good, access via the city trail system is great with multiple trail heads along the river that van be used as an access point. The section is best fished prior to the caddis hatch in spring due to the numbers of fish and dependency on river flows and clarity. There are a couple of feeder creeks just up stream from Canon that will create very difficult fishing during runoff and high precipitation.

The river really is a gem from just after Texas Creek all the way up to Salida and onto Beuna Vista. The river is known for the Mother's Day caddis hatch but the blue wing olives in March are my favorite bugs and the river is less crowded.

cochise 12-09-2012 08:21 AM

I have never fished below Canon City except when I am fishing in the reservoir on the upstream side. It looks like good water and looks as though there is access. Bill Edrington will let you know for sure and specifics if you stop in and chat at him or shoot him an email.

nickj 12-09-2012 08:34 AM

Thanks. I have a customer in Florence that I see every 2-3 weeks. It looks like easy access at 115 but I've never seen anyone fishing there, and have never had the time to stop. Changing my schedule...