The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2012, 08:52 PM

mtboiler will become famous soon enoughmtboiler will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Deer Hair Caddis vs. Elk Hair Caddis?

Deer tail hair is not hollow!! So when you buy bucktail, which is awesome for streamers, it is solid and will not float.

Ok, how to tell the difference, not sure. I trust my friends that kill them that they know the difference and I trust the local shop. But an older guy I use to tie with said that normally deer hair is tri colored, but elk is not....plus elk skin is thicker.

But if you have two pieces side by side...you will see one is definitely thicker.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:43 AM

madjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to madjoni

I thought that bucktail is from some cattle
dean_mt likes this.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:57 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtboiler View Post
Deer tail hair is not hollow!!
Not entirely true, I have quite a few tails where the hair at the base and alot of the top side hair is hollow. I wouldn't use it for a wing but for poppers or muddlers it works fine.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:41 PM

mtboiler will become famous soon enoughmtboiler will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by madjoni View Post
I thought that bucktail is from some cattle
Kiptail...which is almost impossible to find in the real form...is now actually calf tail...I think it was originally a african antilope of some kind. Now when you buy Kiptails you always get calf tail. I could be wrong on the bucktail...but I was pretty sure it was solid. Either way...it works awesome for streamers.

Last edited by mtboiler; 12-14-2012 at 10:54 PM.
Old 12-15-2012, 07:22 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Its on those big gnarly tails, the ones that are full of crinkly hairs. The smaller tails, better for streamers, are mostly if not entirely solid.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:18 AM

madjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtboiler View Post
Kiptail...which is almost impossible to find in the real form...is now actually calf tail...I think it was originally a african antilope of some kind. Now when you buy Kiptails you always get calf tail. I could be wrong on the bucktail...but I was pretty sure it was solid. Either way...it works awesome for streamers.
Thanks!
But that still prove me that companies are lying big time
brucerducer likes this.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:47 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by madjoni View Post
Second this and just to add hair of all kinds of deer all over the globe have hollow hair
I always thought them Europeeean deers had solid hairs!
madjoni and brucerducer like this.
Old 12-15-2012, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
I always thought them Europeeean deers had solid hairs!
hahaha..maybe but it is hollow
And in any time i will change all skin of European deer for 2 by 2 inches of elk hair
brucerducer likes this.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:38 AM

silvertip8k has a spectacular aura aboutsilvertip8k has a spectacular aura about

I use Elk,Mule Deer,White Tail ,Pronghorn and even Moose for tying various bugs and streamers...especially caddis imitations...used them a lot in early summer on the S Platte...all are hollow (body fur any way)I think a lot depends on what time of year animal was harvested(big dif between September and November), part of the hide and color you are looking for...

when you buy the $$ little baggies its pretty much a **** shoot ... I'm also a hunter...so this is one area that there is no shortage of...anyone that has noticed a tie getting saturated sooner than an other knows what I mean, that some floats better or worse...I like to clip hair as close to hide for final length I want...and even dust them w/ floatant just for good measure...

an elk or deer hide has enough fur to start and run fly tying business...

this thread caught my eye special...I usually am quiet...but my preference is tying with all materials I have either myself or friends harvest...lately I just buy hooks and thread...after learning how to use a stomach pump I have been tying all natural color stuff to match what I have found in trout bellies...never seen any flash being digested yet...

sure there is a place for using colors etc...but its been fun for a few years focusing on the natural ties...

here is a "spey" fly tied w/ Mule Deer, Elk, Moose , Buffalo ,Gadwall & Wild turkey...

Click the image to open in full size.

great thread...t
brucerducer likes this.

ted...trout bum/wandering monk
public water 20"er
public land pope & young

Breac à linne, slat à coille is fiadh à f́reach - mèirle às nach do ghabh gàidheal riamh nàire.
a fish from the river, a rod from the woods and a stag from the mountain , thefts ne'er a Gael was ashamed
...and old gaelic proverb...

my blog & website
http://wmflyrodco.com/
Old 12-26-2012, 12:43 PM

Totally off subject here but Silvertip you got some interesting wraps on your cane there care to show it more?