The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2012, 01:14 PM

brucerducer will become famous soon enoughbrucerducer will become famous soon enough
Default Deer Hair Caddis vs. Elk Hair Caddis?

Deer Hair Caddis vs. Elk Hair Caddis?

Is this just "Six of one, Half a Dozen of Another"?

In other words, one's about the same as the other?

Old 12-13-2012, 01:40 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Deer Hair Caddis vs. Elk Hair Caddis?

pick one or the other.. or tie with both.. it really makes no difference imho
Old 12-13-2012, 02:18 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Elk hair as a whole tends to be thicker and benefits from better buoyancy as a result, but the particular patch of hair you're working with could be different (based on when the hair was harvested, and from where, etc.).
Pocono, mcnerney, jaybo41 and 1 others like this.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 12-13-2012, 06:56 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I tie them both. Not sure I've noticed a difference though my deer hair isn't as light in color as my elk hair. I do tie small caddis (18's mainly) using comparadun deer hair. Had good success with them this past season when trout were rising to small caddis below Spinney dam.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:59 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatortransplant View Post
Elk hair as a whole tends to be thicker and benefits from better buoyancy as a result, but the particular patch of hair you're working with could be different (based on when the hair was harvested, and from where, etc.).
Spot on.

I tie with and fish both. Elk is great for faster water, it rides up higher and the lighter color is generally a little easier to see. Deer hair sits a little lower and sometimes picky fish prefer that. I tie some CDC & Deer Hair with a darker deer hair & black CDC to mimic grannoms.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:11 PM

shortyb has a spectacular aura aboutshortyb has a spectacular aura aboutshortyb has a spectacular aura about

I tend to use deer hair and lots of it. I find it to float and accept floatant much better. Again depends on the type used. Coastal deer has been my fave so far.

If your going for tying looks I think elk sits better on the hook and its easy'r to tie with.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 12-13-2012, 07:26 PM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

Can't believe no one mentioned this.
Elk hair is hollow like a straw, hence its naturally buoyant properties (hollow hair means better insulation).
I don't think deer hair is hollow. I usually have to put more gink on the deer hair versions to keep them afloat.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:48 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbblom View Post
Can't believe no one mentioned this.
Elk hair is hollow like a straw, hence its naturally buoyant properties (hollow hair means better insulation).
I don't think deer hair is hollow. I usually have to put more gink on the deer hair versions to keep them afloat.

I'm pretty sure deer hair is hollow.
madjoni and long bow like this.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:50 PM

mtboiler will become famous soon enoughmtboiler will become famous soon enough

Ok, I have played around with and tied with both for almost 20 years and have done a ton of homework on it.

First, both body hair are hollow. Elk hair by far is bigger, thus holds more air. But when you tie smaller stuff, say a 18 EH Caddis, the elk hair is going to look sparse because elk hair is so thick. Deer hair is much thinner but also less boyant.

Second, the belly hair is far more boyant then back hair, but most companies do not tell you which one is which. Having a good hunting friend is a good thing.

Third, when you are on the bigger flies, 12 to 6 stimmies, Elk hair is far superior for floating and does stay afloat longer.

Forth, my opinion here, Elk hair is normally longer then deer hair, which also helps with big flies.

Fifth, deer hair is far easier to find dyed or colored.

Conclusion, my opinion is use both as most have said but understand that both are different. Elk works well for big flies and 10 strands of elk will float longer then 10 strands of deer. But 10 strands of elk looks sparse on a 18 caddis, where you could have used 20 stands of deer. Plus, experiment with different parts of the body....and a curve ball here, antilope for you Montana guys. Antilope floats awesome and is thin!!!!! Deer hair is also easier to find in different colors.
mcnerney and jaybo41 like this.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:44 PM

madjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to madjoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug View Post
I'm pretty sure deer hair is hollow.
Second this and just to add hair of all kinds of deer all over the globe have hollow hair

---------- Post added at 03:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:31 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtboiler View Post
Second, the belly hair is far more boyant then back hair, but most companies do not tell you which one is which. Having a good hunting friend is a good thing.
I may sound like whining like little girl but must say imagine how it is for us in Europe and what confusion is about elk and deer hair.No one here for sure can tell which is which .Once I ordered elk hair and got it .It was written on bag that is elk hair but moose hair was in
dean_mt and jmac321 like this.