The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gjcordray

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2012, 12:35 PM

brucerducer will become famous soon enoughbrucerducer will become famous soon enough
Default Help Organize Please

I have this massive undertaking of tying all the flies needed for fishing come springtime in Colorado.

I gathered data from about 4 or 5 different websites, + a book or two, and rated the "Top 10" flies for Colorado.

[Of course, I actually have more than ten, and threw in the Crayfish and Epoxy Minnow for my own reasons. Also, I left some of my research data in there. Don't think it will hurt anybody none to read what I found.]

Can you help me arrange these according to the ease of tying?

I don't expect anyone to organize the entire list, but if you could recommend the first 7 to 10 that I ought to tie for use in March, I would very much appreciate it.

Thanks

=========================================

DRIES:

(1) ADAMS (medium toned, free drifting adult Mayfly) /

PARACHUTE ADAMS

Blue Winged Olive (BWO),

(2) CDC DEER HAIR CADDIS, (or Goddard Caddis especially on Gunnison Riv)

ELK HAIR CADDIS

(3) CDC Micro Caddis

(4) GRIFFITHS GNAT

(5) Green Drake

(6) Humpy

(7) PMD / Pale Morning Dun

(8) Renegade

(9) Royal Humpy

(10) STIMULATOR, Yellow (stonefly, caddis, hopper etc.)

(11) Dave's Hopper (Dave Whitlock, most productive hopper ever developed)

(12) Ant, and "Amy's Ant"

----------------------------------------------

EMERGERS:

(1) RS2, Sparkle Wing (any Mayfly)

(2)

the Green Deep Sparkle Pupa - CADDIS FLY:

This popular and innovative Green Deep Sparkle Pupa pattern was developed by the late Gary LaFontaine. Hours of underwater reasearch with scuba or snorkel equipment revealed that Caddis can form a gas bubble around themselves when prepering to hatch. The antron or Z-lon case around this fly forms a transluscent impression of that bubble that trout find hard to resist. Fly fishermen everywhere have made this fly one of the staples in their selections.

---------------------------------

NYMPHS:

(1) Brassie

(2) Copper John

(3) PHEASANT TAIL

(4) PRINCE (Mayfly, Stonefly)

(5) HARE's EAR (Caddis Pupae, or Bulky Golden Stonefly)

(6) Mercury Midge @ Mercury Midge (Pat Dorsey) | Front Range Anglers | Boulder, Colorado Fly Fishing Shop and Guided Fly Fishing Service

(7) Black Beauty

Chironomids can compose more than 80% of a trouts diet, this trout staple should not be ignored. The Black Beauty chironomid has been a producer and a “go to” pattern for me on many occasions.

The great thing about this fly is the simplicity of it.

A chironomid is in size from 1/16″ to 1/2″. In the adult form they can often be confused with mosquitoes. Adults are commonly seen in swarms above lakes or ponds.

Chironomids are commonly fished subsurface using a strike indicator. Another method to try is to use a clear intermediate line or a full sink line.

When you are fishing weightless, cast out your line and let your chironomid sink. Use the count method while the pattern sinks to determine your depth.

Slowly use a figure eight retrieve and pause every 3 or 4 hand twists. A few years ago I attended a seminar on chironomid techniques by Mr. Brian Chan. During the seminar I asked Mr. Chan how slow a person should retrieve their chironomid. His response was painfully slow.

. Mike Monteith has written a great article on finding the strike zone and these techniques can be applied to this pattern.

OTHERS:

(1) MUDDLER MINNOW

(2) Wooly Bugger (Black, Olive, & Medium Sizes)

(3) San Juan Worm

(4) Scud

(5) EGG (Roger Bittell popularized the Egg in Colorado, and

claims that fish spawn year round, and that the Egg is going to catch fish.

» Easy Egg Fly Pattern - Fly Fishing & Fly Tying Information Resource

(6) Epoxy Minnow

(7) Crayfish
Old 12-16-2012, 03:36 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help Organize Please

Do you know what sizes you'll need? I ask because, for example, a size 12 elk hair caddis is a lot easier to tie than a size 16. A lot of our flies in Colorado lean towards the small side, but not all. If you checked hatch charts for rivers you plan to fish, they should tell you hook sizes.

The easier on your list in somewhat of an order, I think:
- San Juan worm and egg
- wooly bugger
- ant (add a beetle too) amy's ant is more involved than a simple foam ant.
- hare's ear nymph
- pheasant tail nymph
- maybe next an elk hair caddis then stimulator (not a tough fly but pay attention to proportions so you don't run out of hook.

When tying an adams, consider tying a parachute hare's ear. Uses hare's ear for the body dubbing and just a grizzly hackle, same technique as a parachute adams but just one hackle to wrap. BWO's, PMD's, and griffith's gnats are too tough technique wise, but they tend to be small (16 and smaller). Same with the RS2 and some of the nymphs, not tough in themselves, just small hooks Humpies take a bit of practice getting the hair length right over the top of the abdomen and then upright for the wing but I've found them effective. Dave's hopper is a great fly, but don't forget simple foam hoppers.
Old 12-16-2012, 05:44 PM

mtboiler has a spectacular aura aboutmtboiler has a spectacular aura aboutmtboiler has a spectacular aura about

Wow, what a diverse topic. Ok, having lived in Colorado for 12 years...here are by standards. Now depending on where you fish, sizes and styles will vary. But I fished The South Platte, Colorado, Blue River, Roaring Fork, frying pan and Crystal and a bunch of high mountain likes and this is what I used.

16, 18 and 20 Parachute Adams
15, 18, 20 and 22 BH Flash Back Pheasant Tails
6 or 8 Peacock or Orange Wolly Buggers. Orange body, brown tail and hackle resembles the spawn of a brown.
16 or 18 Elk Hair caddis
12 or 14 san juan worm
14 or 12 ant
Finally, most importantly a 22/24 CDC Puff. Olive or grey

I caught most of my fish on these flies...and I know people will tell you how much more you will need, but if you stuff your boxes with these flies, 3 or 4 dozen each you will catch fish. You can ty a lot of different stuff...but my standard set up was the buggers for pounding shore lines or lakes, Parachute adams/caddis with a CDC Puff trailer for dry fly fishing and a FBPT with a san juan trailer for nymphing. Most of my fish were caught on the trailers also. When all else failed, the ant always bailed me out of a skunk!! My friends would always say why dont you have this fly or that fly...my answer was simple..."90% of catching fish is where you put it, not what they are biting".
Old 12-16-2012, 07:26 PM

dmadsen is on a distinguished road

mtboiler: your name suggests a Purdue grad living in MT, correct?
Old 12-16-2012, 10:10 PM

mtboiler has a spectacular aura aboutmtboiler has a spectacular aura aboutmtboiler has a spectacular aura about

yes I am!!
Old 12-19-2012, 05:35 AM

dmadsen is on a distinguished road

mtboiler,

PU DVM '69 planning to retire to Dillon in 2014, would be great to make contact sometime. davemadsen@murphybrownllc.com.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:45 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Bruce

You mentioned you are fishing Colorado in March, but didn't say where you were planning on fishing, that might provide more insight to the members to help with narrowing the patterns and recommended sizes.
Here are some general thoughts:
Dries:
I don't use the traditional style dries, I like the parachute style as the body sits lower in the water (giving the fish a nice profile) and the post gives me something easier to see (poor eyesight), so I would have parachute adams and make sure you are tying them in smaller sizes to represent the BWO's that will be hatching that time of year (maybe size 16-20). You might also look at the BWO sparkle dun, it sits low in the water giving a good profile to the fish.
For the same reason I like the x-caddis over the elk hair caddis, the body sits lower in the water and it is pretty easy to tie.
You will want Griffiths Gnats, they do a good job of representing midge clusters.
I wouldn't recommend tying PMD's, Green Drakes or hoppers as they hatch later in the season.
Ants are available most of the year so it wouldn't hurt to have some foam and thread ants. Stimi's are a good searching pattern to have.

Emergers:
Your RS-2 recommendation is a good choice.
I'd also recommend having some of Tom Rosenbauers Rabbit Foot Emergers in BWO colors, some Cannon's Snowshoe Emergers and Barr's BWO emergers.

Nymphs: Your list is pretty complete and you can't go wrong with having a few of each in different sizes (stay with the smaller sizes, 16-20). I also like your idea of having mercury midges and black beauties, both excellent patterns for the spring, probably in size 18-20.

Others:
It is always a good idea to have some wooly buggers in different colors, some SJW's and scuds.

Good luck and keep us posted on your trip!

Larry

Old 12-19-2012, 07:36 PM

gjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the rough

For March? My top 10.

Eggs
Worms
Pheasant tails (various patterns) 16-20
Midge nymphs (various colors, and I do fish a lot of mercury) 20-22
Griffith gnats 18-20
Parachute adams 18-22
Elk hair caddis 16-18
Hare's ears 16-18
Graphic caddis emergers 16
Stonefly nymphs 10-16

This will cover a lot of different areas in the state. But it also depends on water levels, air temperatures, and clarity.
mcnerney likes this.