The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By two_nymph_rig

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2012, 11:47 PM

two_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of light
Default Fishing around Cheyenne?

Will be moving to Cheyenne this Spring. Is there any fly fishing to be done in that vicinity? Looking for stuff within about an hour radius.
imxer and brucerducer like this.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:44 AM

jhardin80 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Fishing around Cheyenne?

Just a little bit further and you can be in the Denver area where there is a lot of fishing to be done.

I think over by Laramie is the North Platte, I think they call it the Laramie River and it's right around an hours drive, just under that.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:41 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Curt Goudie (sp?) state park has a nice lake and there are a few others along with some beaver ponds off Happy Jack road, between Cheyenne and Laramie. Lots of sage brush lakes around Laramie worth exploring as well as the streams and lakes in the Snowies to the west of Laramie. The North Platte originates in North Park near Walden, CO and travels north on the west side of the Snowies, it eventually flows toward Casper, where it is known as the Grey Reef, world famous fishing. To the west you also have the Wind River flowing north out of Boysen reservoir, just south of Thermopolis. Here you have to be careful in the Wind River canyon as you need an indian fishing permit. Top of the canyon is public access near the two campgrounds. I have heard that Bosyen reservoir has some great Carp fishing, but I have never fished there. To the west of Laramie you also have the Laramie river, mostly on private land, but there are a few public access points, best to check with the Four Seasons fly shop in Laramie for details. Realize that in WY the landowner owns the riverbed, so be careful wading that you are on public land. The North Platte between Saratoga and Riverside has some great public access points, just watch for the brown signs along hwy 130.

Old 12-27-2012, 11:43 PM

trout333 is on a distinguished road

I live in Fort Collins and know the area pretty well. I think you may have to consider going a little further than an hour away. Within an hour is the Laramie River which I've fished in Laramie and around Woods Landing. The Poudre River in Fort Collins is also about an hour away. If you're willing to go a little further, fish below the hatchery on the Poudre. I've heard of a piece of water called Sybille Creek which sounds like fun but I've never been. Last but definitely not least... fish the Miracle Mile and/or Grey Reef sections of the North Platte. Huge trout! Went there recently and landed some real pigs on a Vanilla Bugger.
Old 12-28-2012, 02:03 PM

shortyb has a spectacular aura aboutshortyb has a spectacular aura aboutshortyb has a spectacular aura about

I have really wanted to catch some big bows in the north Platte. I would second this location, my friends have pulled a lot of big fish out of it. Best floated I believe in the spring, though I could be wrong.
Old 12-28-2012, 02:20 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyb View Post
I have really wanted to catch some big bows in the north Platte. I would second this location, my friends have pulled a lot of big fish out of it. Best floated I believe in the spring, though I could be wrong.
I agree that the North Platte would be the best option; however, the Grey Reef section is 212 miles from Cheyenne (going up I-25) and like you mentioned is best floated. By heading over to Laramie and then taking hwy 130 over the Snowies, the upper North Platte is only 132 miles to Riverside. There are a number of public access points along hwy 130 and with a little hiking you can get into some really nice fishing.

Larry