The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By cochise
  • 2 Post By Guest1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2012, 09:54 PM

cochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant future
Default Short Winter Video

I really despise winter. I do all that I can to stay happy but the more and more winters I spend here in the Rockies the more and more I want to be down south where I can feel the sand between my toes and watch a tarpon roll or a Red tail. I would like cold to mean 50 with a slight breeze, not 7 below with a 31 below wind chill. Call me soft...I was watching the webcams in Fort Myers today and to see them near naked playing volleyball on the beach while I am contemplating taking the kids ice fishing.....Blehk!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHSZrB19wQM
rubberguy likes this.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:17 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Short Winter Video

Great video! I like the iceberg!
Old 12-29-2012, 12:14 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I feel your pain. Actually you have it better than I do. I went and got a few casts in today. I was just practicing for distance in the road in front of my house. It's the first time in days it has even been close to warm at a whopping 20 above! All the water here is frozen solid. I can drive the truck on the lake now and probably the river to. I know you can in the bay in town. That's been frozen solid longer than the lake and it didn't get blown into ice cubes like the lake did. It had 6 inches of ice and a wind storm busted it up. I've seen it bust up with 8 inches. I have a good 3 1/2 months of winter left. That talk of sand and Tarpon sounds better by the day.

Nice video by the way.

---------- Post added at 11:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:42 PM ----------

I was trying to find the Acura commercial they did up here, but couldn't. It ended with, "If you can find a place colder than Baudette, you don't need a new car. You need a new place to live." It made our tourism board madder than all get out. There is actually a lot of cold weather testing done here because it gets colder here than anywhere just about. It warms up drivin North at least for a long long way.

I did find this though; Winter Testing with Acura - Consumer Feature - Truck Trend
mcnerney and fredaevans like this.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:02 AM

cochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant future

That's funny DD, I was actually thinking of you when I made that video...I thought "I got it pretty easy" compared to you.

Winter is only a week in and it feels like its been three months already.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:50 PM

cgrphoto is on a distinguished road

I love the eddying iceberg, it reminds me of that show Wipeout, where contestants have to make it through a crazy obstacle course!
Old 12-30-2012, 01:02 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

If able to avoid the wind, I will take the snow and cold any winter day as opposed to the saltwater desert, sand dunes and trees that look like dandelions.

Dave
Old 12-30-2012, 02:14 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochise View Post
That's funny DD, I was actually thinking of you when I made that video...I thought "I got it pretty easy" compared to you.

Winter is only a week in and it feels like its been three months already.
A week in!!!!! Holy smoke! We are a couple months into it here. Easily. All of November was colder than heck and a a good chunk of September. I have seen years where we were not really out of it till well into May. I think it has something to do with the jetstream. For some reason it drops off the cold where it takes the turn back North. There is one real cold spot that goes from here to International Falls and is pretty much round. It warms up driving North. How wrong does that seem?