The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 6 Post By buffler razz

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2012, 08:29 PM

buffler razz will become famous soon enough
Default September Wind River & Absaroka Mountains

First my apologies for not getting to this post sooner. I have a host of excuses, like work, elk season, work, deer season, work and my general aversion to transferring my pictures to Photobucket. Now that I summited that last mountain, I can move to this one.

This year's trip was near Dubois. Two of my sons live in Jackson and spend summers working at a ranch / camp outside of Dubois. Since they had a few extra days off around Labor Day, we set our dates and location. We spent some time stream fishing and then off to a high mountain lake. One of my brother's flew in from Atlanta to round out the group.

Camp was along the stream and we were treated to a heavy frost on the tents two of the mornings.
Click the image to open in full size.
Although the water level was quite low, the fishing was good. Elk Hair Caddis, Parachute Adams and Parachute Gold Ribbed Hares Ear all were productive.

The boys spend most of the summer and fall in the backcountry and are pretty adamant about camp cleanlieness and food storage / preparation. We did not have any close encounters and the only sighting was of some fresh prints along the streambed. Aside from when I hid it under my shirt, my brother was never more that 2 feet from his can of bearspray. The panic on his face when I had it would have made for a great photo.

Here is the group relaxing streamside.

It does not show too well in this shot, but afternoons got quite hazy from the smoke due to a fire north of where we were.

After a few days we packed out and made the long ride back into Dubois for a quick lunch and the ride to the trailhead to the lake. Most folks seem to use the lake as a day hike destination, but we have enjoyed laying over for a few days. The trail ends at the lake and there is not much fishable area at trails end, same for places to set camp. However, if you cross the logjam at the lake's outlet and scramble up the little rock face in the background things open up a bit more.

Fishing was quite good. Dark Wolly Buggers (black, brown or dark green) and tan Stone Fly Nymphs were the fly's to use here. Working the wind that came across the lake and getting your fly out beyond the underwater ledge was challenging. But it paid off with nice rainbows!

Here is some of the scenery along the trail in.

We were in the Whiskey Basin area. The boys have been to another lake in the area known as Ross Lake. They keep threatening to take me there, but based on the description of the hike in I think I will leave it to younger legs. The area is also a wintering area for Bighorn Sheep. My wife and I made the ride in last Christmas and were treated to some great photo opportunities.

I hope you enjoy the pictures as much as I enjoy reading of other's adventures!

On a side note, I took a St Croix Imperial 8'6" 5 wgt 4 piece outfit that I recently bought here from Vitesse304. It was perfect for the trip. Unfortunately (for me anyway) it has now found a new home in Wyoming with my youngest son!

Razz

Last edited by buffler razz; 01-01-2013 at 11:05 AM. Reason: Can't spill, I mean spell.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:26 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: September Wind River & Absaroka Mountains

Razz: Great trip report, photos and some awesome looking fish, congrats!

Larry

Old 12-30-2012, 09:49 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Well done Razz, thank you for the report and pics...

Dave
Old 12-30-2012, 10:13 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Great trip, man! You just can't beat wilderness with good friends, in this case your kids and brother. Very cool.

God's country.

Thanks for sharing your trip.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:01 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for posting the pictures! It looks you had a really nice trip.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:23 AM

thorsten has a spectacular aura aboutthorsten has a spectacular aura aboutthorsten has a spectacular aura about

Dear Razz,

Thanks for the fantastic pictures. I am sure that this was an awesome trip

THORSTEN
Old 01-01-2013, 11:09 AM

Poke 'Em is a jewel in the roughPoke 'Em is a jewel in the roughPoke 'Em is a jewel in the roughPoke 'Em is a jewel in the rough

Great pics!
Old 01-01-2013, 11:25 AM

rbaileydav is a name known to allrbaileydav is a name known to allrbaileydav is a name known to allrbaileydav is a name known to allrbaileydav is a name known to allrbaileydav is a name known to all

really nice story and great pictures makes me want to explore that area

DD
Old 01-01-2013, 06:07 PM

jeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of light

Nice family get together and Great pics. Looks like nice, crisp bluebird days for fishing in sept. Very similar to my favorite trout waters in the weminuche wilderness bark beetle and all.