The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2013, 07:18 PM

lostnwilderness is on a distinguished road
Default Eureka Montana Area?

I live in western North Carolina and go out west every summer fishing with my Dad on our annual trip. We are looking heading up towards Eureka Montana. Anyone on here fish up in that area? If you would be willing to relay some information my way please PM me. If any of yall ever head down to the southern Appalachians for some trout I would be happy to guide you or help you in any way I can! Thanks everyone!!!
Old 01-03-2013, 08:40 PM

Troutwhisperer will become famous soon enoughTroutwhisperer will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Eureka Montana Area?

The first obvious spot would be the kootenai river below koocanusa right there. Home to our state record rainbow and home to plenty of nice fish.

The next spot I would say to check out would be the yaak river. The yaak river is pretty easy to fish and a nice spot if you just want to try it on your way down highway 2 is right where highway 2 crosses it. Always a good spot when ive tried it.

If you want to head south you could try out the Flathead river. All the forks of the flathead are good. If your willing to hike there are some good lakes in the area for fishing. Its just a matter of finding them. Ive never fished that far north in the lakes in that area. If your interested in catching an arctic grayling if you never have try red meadow lake north of the town of whitefish.

Be sure to try the creeks in the area. They can hold some hidden jems in them. My grandfather who grew up in the area caught his biggest trout out of a little creek as a kid.

Its a very pretty area and a nearby town is what I was named after. My family homesteaded the area and than worked on the railroad as lineman until technology made there jobs obsolete.

PS: welcome to the forums.

"I have a river runs through it on blue ray, so yeah, I guess you could say I know a thing or two about fly fishing."

http://mtwhitefish.blogspot.com
Old 01-03-2013, 11:09 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

What he said! Actually, I've never gone further NW than the Thompson River to fish, which is a nice river. Some beautiful, remote country though.

Welcome to the forum.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:10 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

A totally new name to me: Eureka, Montana - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As silly as this may sound pull up (or order up would be my suggestion) the Montana Fishing Regs. Amazing what those folks put in that thing in the way of area/fishing info. There are map books, etc., you can purchase, but the Game Reg's book is one of the best of the best.

fae
Old 01-04-2013, 07:54 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Sent you a PM.

Sorry, I forgot to say Welcome to the Forum!

Larry

Larry

Last edited by mcnerney; 01-04-2013 at 08:14 AM.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:10 AM

mtboiler will become famous soon enoughmtboiler will become famous soon enough

I have never fished in Eureka so I cannot talk about that. But I live in Whitefish. If you are going to come all the way up here, and I know it is not easy or cheap...you need to take a day and go to Glacier. One of the countries most beautiful parks and has decent fishing. Depending on the time of year, you could drive the inside passage road from Polebridge to Apgar, and fish the north fork. That road is a 4wd road, but worth it and provides some great access to parts of the North Fork not accessible by foot or car.

Mentioned above is the FWP site...but the best part of that site is not the regs book but the MFISH site...http://fwp.mt.gov/fishing/mFish/. Great source of info.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:07 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Eureka Montana Area?

Thanks for that link MB; not seen that one before. A TREASURE TROVE of info.

Fred
Old 01-14-2013, 11:01 AM

long bow will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtboiler View Post
I have never fished in Eureka so I cannot talk about that. But I live in Whitefish. If you are going to come all the way up here, and I know it is not easy or cheap...you need to take a day and go to Glacier. One of the countries most beautiful parks and has decent fishing. Depending on the time of year, you could drive the inside passage road from Polebridge to Apgar, and fish the north fork. That road is a 4wd road, but worth it and provides some great access to parts of the North Fork not accessible by foot or car.

Mentioned above is the FWP site...but the best part of that site is not the regs book but the MFISH site...Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks :: Montana Fisheries Information System (MFISH). Great source of info.
2nd making a trip to Glacier!