The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By vitesse304

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2013, 08:52 PM

chauncey will become famous soon enoughchauncey will become famous soon enough
Default whats fishing in CO right now?

Looking for some places to hit up since the ice has set in. I've heard the blue was going good but was crowded recently.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:51 PM

vitesse304 has a spectacular aura aboutvitesse304 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: whats fishing in CO right now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chauncey View Post
Looking for some places to hit up since the ice has set in. I've heard the blue was going good but was crowded recently.
Any Tailwater will fish well. With all the new snow in the high country, it shouldn't be as busy as it was earlier this winter. Even better, if the forecast calls for more snow, head up to a traditionally busy stretch (Pan, Taylor, etc) and you should have it all to yourself.

I fished the Pan on the day that Aspen reported 12 inches...not a soul in sight...

I would make the trip down to Pueblo personally. Warm weather this weekend and a regular midge hatch makes for good fishing. Plus, no need for neoprenes and breaking ice out of your guides.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:20 PM

nickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the rough

Well..Deckers. I went through there this morning, just after sunup, there were two cars already in the trailhead parking lot, one guy gearing up for the hike. It was about 5 above. The river was seriously steaming at the 126/67 intersection. Came back through this afternoon, it was in the 40's, there were a few guys fishing the stretches visible from the road. It looks to be low and clear. No, I didn't have time to stop. Hopefully next week.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:58 PM

waterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura about

Colorado Rockies- the place, not the team....lolol

A friend of mine fished the Blue last week through breck...said it fished well. Even though i probably would not have got the real story if he was skunked...
Old 01-06-2013, 02:13 AM

mcphoto is on a distinguished road

I've been home visiting the parents on break from school and fishing all over the Front Range..in short, nothing is fishing "hot". The recent cold snap has seemed to put things down a bit. I hate to hotspot, but most of the South Platte watershed seems to be fishing well. Elevenmile and the DS can be realy cold this time of year, but places like Cheesman have been decent. If I've learned one thing fishing this winter, it's that it really plays to tinker with your setups until you feel that it's just right. Don't be afraid to change!
Old 01-07-2013, 09:50 AM

revor is on a distinguished road

Tailwaters are about it. The hatch's I've seen are very small BWOs but they realy haven't been slurping the top much that I have seen. The cold keeps them down about 2-4 ft and slow. #22 midge's or emergers or better yet both.
Nice browns on both the St Vrain and below the dam at Estes.
You could try Marys lake, it rarely freezes and holds some nice fish but it's hard fishing, cold and the level changes all the time.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:35 PM

jhardin80 is on a distinguished road

I fished the Arkansas about two weeks ago with my father and my daughter's boyfriend and we caught about 30-40 small sized trout, went back this Sunday and I have to admit, we got skunked but I was more worried about playing with my new rod and reel that I got for xmas. which worked perfectly, too bad I couldn't feel what a fish is like on it yet.

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths.