The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2010, 05:03 PM

racine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the rough
Question Query about the Gallatin, Madison and Firehole

Has anyone fished these rivers in the park(YNP) lately? I'll be hitting these also in the next few weeks and wondered about water quality and levels?
Thanks,
Racine
Old 07-24-2010, 08:33 PM

estrother has a spectacular aura aboutestrother has a spectacular aura aboutestrother has a spectacular aura about
Default I was there last week

I was there last week, and the rivers looked good. I saw a number of fly fishermen wading the rivers, but they were not crowded.

Unfortunately, I did not have time to fish any of them on the family vacation, but we did a float trip on the Snake near Jackson. The fishing was very poor - lots of fast water with some moderate stain. I caught ~7 cut throat, but none of them were over 7 inches. My wife caught a couple of white fish, and I caught one - they were all about 12-14 inches.

However, my wife did hook a beautiful brown trout (should not have been in the area). It jumped, and it was at least 3 lbs. During the fight, she lost it. It turns out her new fly hook broke in the middle of the shank - just a defective hook. Talk about your bad luck.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:58 PM

Longs for Cutts is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Query about the Gallatin, Madison and Firehole

The Firehole and Madison inside the Park are too warm to fish right now. The Firehole is peaking most days near 80 degrees, and 2/3 of the Madison's water comes from the Firehole. Outside the park it's cooled off by Hebgen Lake and will fish fine, as will the Gallatin.
Old 07-25-2010, 05:28 PM

racine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the rough

Estrother,
I had a similar experience fishing the Snake 3 years ago. It was incredibly picturesque but somewhat disappointing in results. I had much better luck on the Madison. I wonder if this water is overfished?
Also fishing reports that I'm reading seem to conflict with some saying the Firehole is fishing fine?
Old 07-25-2010, 06:46 PM

Longs for Cutts is on a distinguished road

USGS Real-Time Water Data for USGS 06036905 Firehole River near West Yellowstone MT

Current temp: 27.5 Celsius, aka 82F.

Fishing reports that say it's fishable are either outdated or lying. The only part that is fishable are the extreme headwaters above the Old Faithful closure, which is small brook trout water.