The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2013, 04:09 PM

blackbugger is a glorious beacon of lightblackbugger is a glorious beacon of lightblackbugger is a glorious beacon of lightblackbugger is a glorious beacon of lightblackbugger is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Less crowds on the Bighorn????

This is typical when the weeds get bad;

Bighorn River: October Fishing Update | bighorn river fishing report big horn fly fishing bighorn river fly fishing

They can make subsurface fishing all but impossible when they are at their worst. The big tailwaters are prone to this event. If there is very little dry fly action and you are on foot your experience will not be good no matter how many fish per mile there are.
If you are going to spend hundreds if not over a thousand dollars to get here then it's something to consider.
You won't find this weed phenomenon on the freestones with a few exceptions like late summer, low water and high water temps.

And it's not just what you see on the surface. Down below the water is choked with floating strands. When it's bad you will LITERALLY be cleaning off your fly on EVERY cast. Streamer fishing can be impossible. Nymphing from a boat will be easier than from the bank. If you do hook a fish of any size your leader will sweep up huge piles of weed strands.

It is worth considering and certainly worth a heads up.
mcnerney, dean_mt, dharkin and 1 others like this.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:35 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbugger View Post
This is typical when the weeds get bad;

Bighorn River: October Fishing Update | bighorn river fishing report big horn fly fishing bighorn river fly fishing

They can make subsurface fishing all but impossible when they are at their worst. The big tailwaters are prone to this event. If there is very little dry fly action and you are on foot your experience will not be good no matter how many fish per mile there are.
If you are going to spend hundreds if not over a thousand dollars to get here then it's something to consider.
You won't find this weed phenomenon on the freestones with a few exceptions like late summer, low water and high water temps.

And it's not just what you see on the surface. Down below the water is choked with floating strands. When it's bad you will LITERALLY be cleaning off your fly on EVERY cast. Streamer fishing can be impossible. Nymphing from a boat will be easier than from the bank. If you do hook a fish of any size your leader will sweep up huge piles of weed strands.

It is worth considering and certainly worth a heads up.
Blackbugger: How true, the description you have depicted is exactly the same on the North Platte Grey Reef section in the late summer.

Old 01-22-2013, 09:02 PM

shortyb has a spectacular aura aboutshortyb has a spectacular aura aboutshortyb has a spectacular aura about

Dean to be fair he did post about crowds on the horn. Hatch charts will tell you the area gets mayfly hatchs, but from what I read past few years it's just starting to come back. Midges like crazy some days though like I said before. Pods and pods just boiling the water.

As far as weeds I thought it got better in parts of the river after 3 mile?
Old 01-26-2013, 09:41 AM

dharkin is a jewel in the roughdharkin is a jewel in the roughdharkin is a jewel in the rough

BlackBugger,

Great info thanks. Do you have any idea what the drive time is from Bozeman to the Beaverhead/Bighole area?

Last edited by dharkin; 01-27-2013 at 10:32 AM.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:41 AM

blackbugger is a glorious beacon of lightblackbugger is a glorious beacon of lightblackbugger is a glorious beacon of lightblackbugger is a glorious beacon of lightblackbugger is a glorious beacon of light

From Bozeman to the dam on Clark Canyon Reservoir (beginning of the Beav.) is 3 hours. Most people fish the upper river from the dam to Pipe Organ Bridge. That's kind of the "classic" section but there are many miles of other water to explore on it and the whole thing all the way down to Twin Bridges has fish though access becomes much more difficult below Dillon.

To Divide on the Big Hole is about 1:30 - 1:45 from Bozeman. Add a half hour to get up around East Bank access.
Add ten minutes to Melrose.
It's less than an hour from Melrose to Dillon. If you get serious about the Big Hole and are going to camp let me know. I can point you in the direction of some great camping with miles of walk/wade water. It's not a secret but I'm still not going to advertise it on the webernet.
dean_mt likes this.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:13 PM

bobk627 is on a distinguished road

Bozeman to Dillon is less than 2 hours. If you take I-90, H287, H41
Old 01-27-2013, 10:36 AM

dharkin is a jewel in the roughdharkin is a jewel in the roughdharkin is a jewel in the rough

Hi Guys,

Looks like we might be flying into Bozeman rather than Billings based on all of the input from this thread and information that I have been able to gather this weekend. I think we will try to find a cabin in Melrose and use that as a "base" camp for the region thanks to info from Dean_Mt and BlackBugger. I think we might push the date to October as well. Rather than Sept 13th to the 21st, I am going to ask my buddies about the 4th of Oct to the 12th. we still have plenty of time for final plans but that just seems like a better time and location based on current data. The size of the towns out that way makes it tough to gather information about cabin rentals or hotel rooms. Can anyone help with places to stay?

Take care,
Dan

---------- Post added at 11:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:30 AM ----------

SORRY!!!!!!!!!

Forgot to mention something!

Welcome to the forum Bobk627
Old 01-27-2013, 01:12 PM

This might be worth checking into;

Sportsman Home

Sunrise fly shop in Melrose has some accommodations listed under Guide Trips;

big-hole-river-fishing-report

I really like Al from Great Divide Outfitters and I'm sure he could suggest a variety of options but unfortunately he's on Andros Island right now and will be there through the winter so I guess you'd have to try e-mailing him.

Big Hole River Journal | Big Hole River Journal by the guides at Great Divide Outfitters.

Frontier Anglers in Dillon could probably suggest some places.

Frontier Anglers - Frontier Anglers

Melrose is a good overall location but it's very small. There's a bar/restaurant with a gas pump and that's about it for services. Sunrise fly shop is there as well and should be able to supply all your fishing needs.

Barring some crazy weather event the river should be low with the cottonwoods changing colors, excellent wading right out of Melrose, lot's of access within a very short drive up or down the river...if we get our usual indian summer weather you'll be in fly fishing heaven guaranteed.
dean_mt and dharkin like this.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:54 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Right on, bugger. I love Melrose, what more does guy need than a bar, restaurant, bed and fly shop?

Good old Lively's! Lively’s Melrose Bar & Cafe, Pioneer Mountain Cabins & Fly Candles | Montana Restaurants | Montana Lodging | Montana Cabins | Melrose, Montana
shortyb likes this.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:28 PM

Hi,

Thanks BlackBugger. I found a few of those sites yesterday and will reach out to them soon. The population of the surrounding towns are very small and would very much like to spend my money with those folks if possible. I will let you know what comes up but I wanted to thank you for all of your input and advice.

Take care,
Dan