The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2013, 07:34 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Less crowds on the Bighorn????

What rivers are you targeting?
Old 01-28-2013, 12:48 PM

dharkin is a jewel in the roughdharkin is a jewel in the roughdharkin is a jewel in the rough

The Big Hole for sure and maybe the Ruby.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:54 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

deleted...

Last edited by dhayden; 01-28-2013 at 07:44 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:10 PM

long bow will become famous soon enough

If you are debating between the Ruby and the Big Hole, go Big Hole for sure. The Ruby is pretty and holds decent fish as well, but there is no need to have to deal with ranchers who could care less about if your feet are in the water or not--shotgun in hand. I"m not joking all that much either.

Last edited by long bow; 01-28-2013 at 03:52 PM. Reason: Right river ID
Old 01-28-2013, 03:46 PM

blackbugger is a glorious beacon of lightblackbugger is a glorious beacon of lightblackbugger is a glorious beacon of lightblackbugger is a glorious beacon of lightblackbugger is a glorious beacon of light

It's a little less than 20 miles over the high road from Melrose to Twin.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:55 PM

deleted...

Old 01-28-2013, 05:00 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbugger View Post
It's a little less than 20 miles over the high road from Melrose to Twin.
It's a pretty rough 20 miles though isn't it? At least in the middle as I recall. I haven't driven it in many years, just remember that it was brutal hot and dusty. There are two roads aren't there, one that cuts straight over and the other that follows the river, I image what you call the high road is the more direct shot, so I've probably never actually driven that one.

I had told Dan that if they stayed near Twin then the Ruby is a fun option for one day. But yeah, I agree Dave, from Melrose probably not worth the drive. There is soo much Big Hole to be fished around there that there isn't much reason.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:47 PM

blackbugger is a glorious beacon of lightblackbugger is a glorious beacon of lightblackbugger is a glorious beacon of lightblackbugger is a glorious beacon of lightblackbugger is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhayden View Post
bb.. is that the one called "Melrose-Twin Bridge County road" ?

I was thinking more Madison/Ruby combo.. and even for the Ruby it depends where you fish on it.. up by the dam.. that's a ways out..
Yes, Montana like it used to be. Dirt road, big wide open views of the Pioneers, Tobacco Roots and the Madisons.

As far as the Ruby goes....I really get uncomfortable just out and out hot-spotting on the internet. I would gladly tell someone in private about unique access and specific streams and rivers but the internet and large fishing forums like this can literally over-run with fishing pressure hard won, quality, relatively unknown areas.
Mentioning the big rivers that everyone knows is one thing, I draw the line on the smaller less known rivers.
I'm not trying to tell anyone else how to be, this is just how I feel about the impacts of the social media phenomenon.

That being said...
If dharkin choses Melrose he'll be less than an hour from the dam on the Beav. Straight down the interstate. The Beav. in October often fishes as good if not better than any other time of the year and it's usually less than 300 cfs, often much lower, which means easy wading and very large fish.
I'm betting if they go to the Big Hole in October they'll probably spend most if not all their time fishing the Big Hole. It's like 5 or 6 different rivers in one watershed and Melrose is right on the (arguably) best stretch.

---------- Post added at 04:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:15 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
It's a pretty rough 20 miles though isn't it? At least in the middle as I recall. I haven't driven it in many years, just remember that it was brutal hot and dusty. There are two roads aren't there, one that cuts straight over and the other that follows the river, I image what you call the high road is the more direct shot, so I've probably never actually driven that one.
The high road's no big deal. It's like your typical dirt road anywhere else in the state.
The other road that follows the river is longer and yeah, it gets kind of rutted but there are several access points down there as well. It's the more marginal water which is why it's one of my favorite stretches. You don't see many people.
But really, as you probably know, once the salmonfly hatch is over the Big Hole seems to get less pressure than other more famous waters, which is also just fine with me.

Upper Big Hole brown to get dharkin and co. all excited.
You can find these in every section of the Big Hole.

Click the image to open in full size.

---------- Post added at 04:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:39 PM ----------

As long as I'm killing time, here's a picture of a ten pounder the FWP shocked out of the Big Hole several years ago.
This was the same fish that guy from Butte eventually caught.

I doubt there are many fish like this in the Big Hole but they definitly swim in the Beav.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:51 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with everything you've said, Bugger. The only reason I mentioned the Ruby on here was because dharkin mentioned it. I get cranky with the "hot spotting" as well, we all do. But all the controversy around the Ruby for so long, it isn't really a secret at this point.

You are so right about the variety and abundance of different types or water on the Big Hole from Wise River just through Melrose...you're getting me all anxious get back down there! But it's February!!

---

Holy Cr@p! That is a monster. Wow. And also good to know about the Beaverhead. I've never gone down there in the fall, I've just assumed that it is never a very good wade fishing option. I hope boats don't go through at that level, I imagine true combat fishing at that point.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:30 PM

deleted...