The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2013, 11:49 AM

markg52 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Summit County CO

My last trip to Summit Co was a few years ago and also during spring break time. My uncle and I fished 3 days while everyone else was skiing at Copper. Fished the Blue two days and sandwiched at trip up to the Colorado at Parshall between. Highly recommend Cutthroat Anglers in Silverthorne and Blue River Anglers in Frisco. On the Blue we fished from above I-70 bridge to down through the outlet mall. There are some pigs hanging out in that river. Best luck for me was on a size 28 or so, black sprout dry, on the Blue. We fished double nymph rigs more on the Colorado. Greenback cuts are really beautiful fish. Weather was interesting to say the least the last two days. Snow squalls off and on all day on the CO, and the last day(or half day) on the Blue was just brutal. Snowed around three inches from the time I started fishing that morning until I quit around 1:00. Got back to the condo and flipped on The Weather Channel to see temp and it was 7 degrees with a wind chill of minus 11. No wonder I was a popcicle and fighting ice in the guides. I would hang out for a bit under the pedestrian bridge over by Nike and warm up a tad, clean out ice, and get back at it. It was well worth it. No crowds to speak of at all. Shoppers in the outlet mall would watch and one or two other fishermen came in the same vicinity of us over at Parshall. Good luck to you. I really love the Summit Co area and can't wait to get back to either fish or ski.
mcnerney and scott11t like this.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:49 PM

pb_colorado is on a distinguished road

Unfortunately, it is very likely you will not be alone where ever you decide to go fishing around town. The Town of Silverthorne is generally the main "non ski resort" hub of Summit County, and the Blue River is the main river that runs right through town. Some other posts have focused on other drainages that could be an option, but I will focus on the Blue because it will be right outside your door.

For some local info (albeit from a shop) go to Cutthroat Anglers in Silverthorne, and ask for Troy. If he is there, he will generally shoot you straight about where to go and what will be working. If you want to hire a guide for a wade trip, I would ask Troy if he is available or who he would suggest out of their shop. I have no experience with Colorado Anglers because they are kind of new to town, but CA has been around in Silverthorne for a long time.

The Blue River runs right through the middle of Silverthorne, and is a tail water fishery with the release from the damn approx 1.5 miles above the CA shop. There is lots of public access along the river through town, but these areas get hammered by skills ranging from never-ever novice to the most experienced almost constantly. The fishing pressure decreases if you get in your car and drive north out of town, but be wary of private property once you get out of town (these folks call the cops). The road follows the river more/less for around 10 miles, but only stop to fish at designated public access points. Even the stretches out of town get pressure, but not quite as much as in town.

Another option is to drive 30 minutes from town to Green Mountain Reservoir, and fish the canyon area below the damn. This is also a tail water fishery, but it takes some effort to get there and down to the river. You will need to park in the designated parking area below the damn, and walk/scramble down a very steep trail to the river. This also gets some pressure, but there are some nice fish to be had. I have heard you can fish for about 3 miles downstream of the damn before getting into private property, but it "canyons out" about 1 mile below the damn and you have to cross the river (if flows aren't too high) in order to find the trail and continue downstream from the canyon part. Here are two pictures of what the Blue below Green Mountain looks like in the summer at a flow of 600 cfs +/-, you will probably have more in the range of 150cfs in March. It is a cool place to fish if you have the time to make a day trip, especially if you fish a few hours below Green Mountain and also stop at a couple spots along the Blue as you drive back to town.

Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.

The guys at Cutthroat can tell you about the options in and around town, and below Green Mountain as well. If you can fish mid-week, you might get lucky and be alone but otherwise you will probably have some company. If you will be there in March you will have to contend with weather - even some areas of the Blue may have ice blockage and bridges (like out of town further from the damn) if it has been cold and snowy. If that is the case, your only options might be to fish directly below the damns along with your new close friends who are looking for the only ice-free water too. Where ever you go, know that the fish are well educated and can be fickle due to the pressure - these areas just don't have dumb fish like you can find at more remote locations around the state. I find that nymph patterns with some flash work best (flashback PT mentioned), and if you are below Green Mountain try a BH Flash Prince as one of your choices in a double nymph rig. Have fun and stay warm.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:20 PM

mtboiler will become famous soon enoughmtboiler will become famous soon enough

Just FYI...Colorado Anglers is owned by Andrew Peterson, who use to be the head guide at Cutthroat before Trapper sold it. Hagen Lyle was the other head guide...also works at Colorado Anglers. Phil worked there as well. So I would suggest you give both a shot. Andrew and Hagen have lots of years on the local waters.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:43 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtboiler View Post
Just FYI...Colorado Anglers is owned by Andrew Peterson, who use to be the head guide at Cutthroat before Trapper sold it. Hagen Lyle was the other head guide...also works at Colorado Anglers. Phil worked there as well. So I would suggest you give both a shot. Andrew and Hagen have lots of years on the local waters.
Used them for a guided trip on the Arkansas when family was in town a couple years ago. Caught some nice fish and the guides were great.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:20 PM

cptxkirk will become famous soon enoughcptxkirk will become famous soon enough

I 2nd stopping by Colorado Anglers to get some relative information on whats working and where its working. I will be in Dillon either the week before you or the same week. If it so happens to be the same time, I am more then happy to drive out to the Frying Pan with you. The Frying Pan is an amazing fishery and worth the 2 hour drive out of Silverthorne.

---------- Post added at 11:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:14 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb_colorado View Post

For some local info (albeit from a shop) go to Cutthroat Anglers in Silverthorne, and ask for Troy. If he is there, he will generally shoot you straight about where to go and what will be working.
Just my opinion, but somebody working in a shop shouldn't "generally" shoot you straight about where to go......

Working in a fly shop you are an ambassador to the sport and should never make people feel unwelcome, and the customers should never have to wonder if they are getting the right information.

I'm not trying to derail or cause an issue, but the above statement is the reason I have worked my behind off to get into the industry. My goal is to be an ambassador, and I wish no one ever had to doubt the information they are given by a fly shop!
Old 01-28-2013, 09:50 AM

vitesse304 has a spectacular aura aboutvitesse304 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptxkirk View Post
I 2nd stopping by Colorado Anglers to get some relative information on whats working and where its working. I will be in Dillon either the week before you or the same week. If it so happens to be the same time, I am more then happy to drive out to the Frying Pan with you. The Frying Pan is an amazing fishery and worth the 2 hour drive out of Silverthorne.

---------- Post added at 11:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:14 PM ----------

Just my opinion, but somebody working in a shop shouldn't "generally" shoot you straight about where to go......

Working in a fly shop you are an ambassador to the sport and should never make people feel unwelcome, and the customers should never have to wonder if they are getting the right information.

I'm not trying to derail or cause an issue, but the above statement is the reason I have worked my behind off to get into the industry. My goal is to be an ambassador, and I wish no one ever had to doubt the information they are given by a fly shop!
Do this!

If you guys are out there the same time, split the gas money and head to the Pan. Much easier access since it's drive in, but get up early and make the drive! A picture of a 20 lb brownie was posted in the Vail Daily a couple weeks ago...it came out of the Pan.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:28 AM

cptxkirk will become famous soon enoughcptxkirk will become famous soon enough
Default Summit County CO

I will bring this backup! Have you decided on dates that you will be in town? Always looking for a fishing buddy! Ask Vittesse I didn't try and corral him in the backwoods or anything I am a decent dude!