The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2013, 01:06 PM

scott11t is on a distinguished road
Default Summit County CO

Heading to Colorado for the first time in March. I only really have tailwater experience, being from Arkansas. Looking for good places to go catch fish and avoid crowds. I don't mind to hike a few miles. Thanks for any input

Scott
Old 01-23-2013, 01:15 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Summit County CO

Scott: What area of Colorado are you looking at? March is kind of early, there will be lots of snow in the high country (assuming a normal snow year), but there are some great tailwaters to fish.

Old 01-23-2013, 03:17 PM

Well, the crew I'm going with is wanting to go snow skiing so we are staying in Silverthorne during the week of March 18th. I'm wanting to go fly fishing a day or two.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:36 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

OK, perfect. The skiing should be very good that time of year, and you will have the Blue River right in your back door. The Blue flows north out of the Dillon Reservoir in the town of Silverthorn and flows next to hwy 9 for several miles. There are a number of public access points, just look for the signs, but most folks will start fishing right there at the outlet mall. Then if you would like to explore different water, head west on I-70 to Glenwood Springs, then south on hwy 82 to Basalt and fish the Frying Pan. I think the distance is around 115 miles.
leithel and scott11t like this.

Old 01-23-2013, 04:43 PM

vanish will become famous soon enough

For something that is NOT tailwater, the Arkansas River has treated me well in March before. Just depends on the weather. Head over the mountain. I've only fished it near Salida at that time of year (about 100 miles), but the river is accessible closer.
scott11t likes this.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:03 PM

mtboiler will become famous soon enoughmtboiler will become famous soon enough

Ok, So I lived in Frisco for 12 years and will give some ideas. For a quick hour or two, the blue in Silverthorne has a lot of holes. You could easily fish an hour and do pretty well. The key to the Blue is the closer to the dam you get the harder the fishing, but the bigger the fish. So if you are looking for in town sites, plenty of great fishing. Couple thoughts...park at any of the outlets and walk down to the river. There is a bike trail right along the river that you can walk pretty much from the library all the way to the dam. Small nymphs would be key.

Ok, if you want to make a trip out of it, a few ideas. The Colorado is 60 miles away and fishes well. Gore is 40 miles away in Vail. South is the Platte and Ark...or head to Leadville and hit the upper Arkansas. My opinion is you could head back to Silverthorne at lunch and depending on what hotel you are in, fish the river every day for an hour or two by just walking across the street!!

If you give me an idea of where you are staying and skiing I could dial you in more as well.
mcnerney and scott11t like this.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:50 PM

Wow thanks for the responses. Cant wait to get out there! What are my must have flies?

Also...I'm an OK fly fishermen. I've been fly fishing for about 3 years now. I'm reading some literature on Colorado Fly fishing. I've been mulling around the idea of getting a guide. Is it worth it for an Arkansas fly fishermen to get a guide. If so, anyone you would want to recomend?

Thanks agian for all the help.
Scott
Old 01-24-2013, 02:51 PM
Administrator

Scott: Seeing how you already have tailwater fishing experience you could probably do ok on the Blue, just remember to go small with the flies that time of year. You might want to look over this report on the Blue, even though it isn't the time of year you will be there.
may head up to the blue this weekend

Old 01-24-2013, 05:58 PM

vitesse304 has a spectacular aura aboutvitesse304 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Scott: Seeing how you already have tailwater fishing experience you could probably do ok on the Blue, just remember to go small with the flies that time of year. You might want to look over this report on the Blue, even though it isn't the time of year you will be there.
may head up to the blue this weekend
Everything in that post still applies. This tailwater doesn't really see any big hatches and your basic midges will work all year long.

March is the snowiest month, so dress warmly and be prepared. The good thing is, if the weather is bad, you'll have the river all to yourself!

You don't really need a guide...you'll find holes all up and down that river and you'll be hard pressed not to see a fish! But stop by Colorado Anglers and ask for some tips and pick up some flies and you'll be good to go. Of all the tailwaters, this is the second most urban so access isn't really a problem.

If you find the fishing tough in town, talk the guys into a day of skiing in Aspen and head to the Pan. It's about a 2 hour drive, but it'll be well worth it. Fishing the toilet bowl will get your mojo back and then you can chase the monsters on the flat for some real fly fishing.

Or, convince the crew to go to Steamboat and hike in to the Yampa. If you don't catch fish here, you don't have a fly on the end of your line...

I don't really think you need to travel too far to get into some good fishing...The Gore will be iced up...the Colorado north of Silverthorne will be too...heading south to Salida is a long trip for "marginal" fishing...

Stick around the tailwaters. You've got 3 all within a 2 hours drive.
mcnerney and scott11t like this.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:11 PM

mtboiler will become famous soon enoughmtboiler will become famous soon enough

Ok, if you are going to go somewhere you have never been or seen and spend the entire day fishing, I would hire I guide. If you are going to pop around of the Blue, I would not. There are so many holes you could fish the 4 miles section all day, or just for 30 minutes and have a great time. I can get you to pretty much every hole worth fishing.

Fly wise, I would suggest a double fly system. I like 18 or 20 BH Flash Back PT's. If I go deep, I use a 14 red copper john to get it down. If I use the 20, I trail a san juan worm or zebra midge. Dead drifting an orange bugger (brown hackle and tail/orange body) works well also. Dry wise, you are a **** shoot that time of year. But if you see a rise it will be to small stuff. i would suggest having some standard 18 or 20 Elk Hair Caddis, some Parachute adams in 18's or 20's and the kicker, get some 22 or 24 CDC Puffs (Charlie Craven fly). Throw the adams or caddis and trail it about 12 inches behind with the CDC puff. Wont see if, but if you know roughly 12 inches behind the adams is the cdc, you will catch fish. Believe it or not I still have luck on those rigs in Montana.
scott11t likes this.