The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2013, 12:49 PM

cgrphoto is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Moving to CO feb 1st. Questions questions questions

Roman, I thought I'd chime in here if you don't mind. I have lived in Denver for about 13 years now, and eventually landed on the west side of town - namely, the Highlands area (not Highlands Ranch), and now I am in Wheat Ridge, less than a mile from I-70. I'm so close to Clear Creek that I can be standing in the river within 15-20 minutes of leaving the house. Now, Wheat Ridge is not Denver, but the Highlands area is - and its the HOTTEST thing going. And, it's also close to I-70.

I understand that you want to be close to the action, but I can say straight out that there are SO many better options than the Cherry Creek area. That is, unless you can afford a home in that area, well then you're doing alright. $$$. I'm just casting my 2 cents into the water, thats all.

I hope your move goes well. Maybe see you on the river someday.

C
mcnerney likes this.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:36 AM

romanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of light

^^ thanks
yea i started packing already, my GOLF is going to be loaded to the max, with roof racks on top for boards, and 1 bike rack for my MTN bike.
should be switching out my summer tires for winter set up i have in garage just for trips like this.
as for living in that central area, its not set in stone, but me and my g/f are not sure how permanent this move is to Denver and to start we want to rent in that area until we figure out next step.
and youll probably see me on the rivers at some point, just look for MKVI GOLF TDI with CA plates
mcnerney likes this.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:36 PM

illinibone is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by romanl View Post

And if u guys have any other info/suggestions please do share
Thanks
If you want to sneak out for fly fishing you will have to live on the western side of town. If you are in the NW side of town you could sneak up to Golden and fish Clear Creek. If you are further south you can fish above or below Chatfield or Bear Creek.

As others have said you will/should have to buy an out of state license until you have been here 6 months. Between me and you, I bought mine at Wal-Mart and the guy said you have lived in Colorado over 6 months right...umm of course I have!

You should check out the Littleton area if you are still looking for a place to live. Close to Chatfield Resevoir, easy access to 470 and 25, and a close distance to 70 and the mountains. Also only about 10 minutes to downtown with little traffic.

Also, make sure you purchase a state parks pass. If you buy it on the first of the month, it will actually give you 13 months of usage and only for $70. Else you will be paying $7 each time you enter a state park. This is also nice for the summer time when you want to do some camping.

Hope this helps.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:50 PM

romanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinibone View Post
Also, make sure you purchase a state parks pass. If you buy it on the first of the month, it will actually give you 13 months of usage and only for $70. Else you will be paying $7 each time you enter a state park. This is also nice for the summer time when you want to do some camping.
Hope this helps.
thanks , this is very good info.
what parks are covered under this pass? (i have similar pass for CA los angeles area parks)
car is loaded and sitting in garage, looks like mtn bike wont make the trip this time.
do i need this pass everywhere in CO?
thanks again
Old 02-01-2013, 10:09 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

There's tons of fishing that won't require a park's pass. Sorry to hear that bike's not making it but have a safe drive! When are you hitting the road?
Old 02-03-2013, 09:42 AM

hit the road yesterday.
1,050 miles door to door
took 14 1/2 hours (i thinkaverge speed ended up being 74MPH) so decent time, but still tired.
ill bring the bike when i go back at the end of the month to get my g/f and help move her stuff.

Click the image to open in full size.
williamhj likes this.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:47 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck with the move and please keep us update on your status! That is a long drive so be careful.

Old 02-03-2013, 12:17 PM

nickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the rough

Welcome to Colorado.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:52 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome! You picked a nice weekend to roll into Denver
Old 02-03-2013, 02:30 PM

thanks guys, yea i moved in last night (staying withe a friend for a month, while i look for more permanent place for me and g/f starting March)
went to SIA tradeshow this AM
did some grocery shopping
now just hanging around waiting for the game to start,

i think im gonna tie some flies
and hopefully i can start fishing next week once im more settled.