The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2013, 12:55 PM

romanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of light
Default Moving to CO feb 1st. Questions questions questions

For years I've wanted to move to CO. I've been going there for past few years to snowboard ( I do about 30+ days a year even though I live in CA)
Well finally I have opportunity to "work from home" so I decided why not move.
I will be living in Denver, for right now I'm going with a 6 month stay goal and then I'll see if I want to move back to CA or stay in CO (job will be deciding factor I think)

So all u locals can u please help me out with following:
1. I will be Out of state resident so is there anything special I need to know about getting CO license.
2. Are there any good local websites/maps that will help me figure out where to fish?
3. I have 7'6" 3 wt and 9' 5 wt. what other rods are a must have for CO?
4. Any good spots in Denver where I'll be able to take my "lunch break" from working from home that are in Denver so I can get back to work if I get urgent call, etc. in short time?

And if u guys have any other info/suggestions please do share
Thanks
Old 01-26-2013, 05:50 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future
Default Re: Moving to CO feb 1st. Questions questions questions

So really where you move makes a difference, to the quick fishing water questions. Remember everything in Denver seems to be 30 minutes away. Our city and outskirts stretch 100 miles from Castle Rock to Fort Collins. If you move west like Highlands Ranch that will open up the S.Platte drainage access for you, but cell coverage might be dicey.

As far as rods you should be fine , depending on finances I would add a 9' 4wt and a 6wt or 7wt for throwing streamers up on the dream stream where a 15mph wind is a calm day. But what you have will work fine, except the dream stream.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:04 PM

mcphoto is on a distinguished road

1. Your out of state license will be the out of state price, unless you establish residency in the state (takes 6 months, so you might be out of luck there)
2. Check out Marty Bartholomew's book "A Fly Fisherman's Guide to Colorado", that's the book I used to get started and it will come in handy!
3. You can cover just about everything with those two rods, however, having a short 4 weight (8'0"-8'6") can be great for technical tailwater nymphing and dry fly work.
4. Unless you like carp fishing, there isn't much "in Denver". Your best bets would be one of the local metro area creeks such as Bear Creek or Clear Creek. Both have lots of public access and are a short drive from Denver. Don't overlook the carp in the South Platte in Denver, you might need a 6 or 7 weight but they can be a blast, especially in the spring.

Hope this helps.
mcnerney and littledavid123 like this.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:36 AM

romanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of light

thanks guys, ill check that out,
and Carp could be fun, i haven't tried them before, so that could be fun.
as for where in Denver, im hoping to stay in Cherry Creek mall area.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:36 AM

dhaynes is a jewel in the roughdhaynes is a jewel in the roughdhaynes is a jewel in the rough

Take a short drive up to Boulder and talk to the guys at Rocky Mountain Anglers on Arapahoe.... great shop, great guys
Old 01-27-2013, 09:44 AM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by romanl View Post
thanks guys, ill check that out,
and Carp could be fun, i haven't tried them before, so that could be fun.
as for where in Denver, im hoping to stay in Cherry Creek mall area.
Yeah Cherry Creek Mall is not going to really give you that zip in and zip out feel. Certainly much closer to the S. Platte drainage or even Clear Creek than I am in Longmont but I'd imagine you are looking at a hour drive , not uncommon for around here.

There are alot of reservoirs closer down there than river so maybe check those out for quicker outings like you described.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by comeonavs View Post
Yeah Cherry Creek Mall is not going to really give you that zip in and zip out feel. Certainly much closer to the S. Platte drainage or even Clear Creek than I am in Longmont but I'd imagine you are looking at a hour drive , not uncommon for around here.

There are alot of reservoirs closer down there than river so maybe check those out for quicker outings like you described.
Ok thanks. Looks like quick lunch fish outings won't be doable. But that's ok. I'll just fish every weekend.
I have friends up in Frisco and like going there a lot nap looking forward to fishing that area and hiking some high alpine lakes as snow melts of
I'm just looking forward to finally making my move to CO and enjoying everything it has to offer (for me that's snowboarding, mtn biking, fishing and good beer)
Old 01-27-2013, 01:22 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

With traffic it'll be a pain to get from Cherry Creek to trout fishing. Without traffic you can be on the front range creeks suiting up in less than an hour. If you want to be in striking distance of fishing I'd say towards Golden for Clear Creek and north waters plus you'd be right off 70 for hitting the mountains. If you want S. Platte Drainage than look Southwest Denver. In both those places you'll probably get more house/apartment for your $. I'd live on the West side of town if work wasn't on the Northeast side. If you're looking to fish and be in cell-phone range than front range creeks will be a problem once you get any distance up the canyons. There are some spots on the S Platte south of town. Not great fishing, but it's there and it's easy. Heading up 70 and hitting Clear Creek along I-70 will give you cell reception and it's easy to get back to town. Again, not the best and most scenic fishing but it's there and it's close to home.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:58 PM

mtboiler will become famous soon enoughmtboiler will become famous soon enough

Ok, I am confused, if you are going to work from home, why live in Denver? You have a 75 mile drive from down town to the ski resorts...traffic is terrible up I-70 on the weekends...expect 4 to 5 hours to get home on peek days. I see you are from California so you might not mind sitting in traffic all day. Even on summer weekends you could spend 2 or 3 hours easily.

I would consider someplace closer to where you want to fish and ski. If you want to ski Breck for instance, live in Summit. If you want to ski Steamboat live up there. You can fish within 10 minutes of you house, you can ski within 10 minutes of you house...and not spend hours and hours in traffic.

I traveled a lot and it was only 100 miles to the airport from Summit. We just figured that living in the mountains gave us more chances to get out and play then living in Denver. Even when I paid my own expenses I still did not mind the 100 mile drive to the airport in exchange for living in paradise! Heck I flew out of Vail a few times as well...little bit more expensive but they have major airlines and fly anywhere.

Just my thoughts...not sure why Denver and maybe the company wants you to live close to an airport.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtboiler View Post
Ok, I am confused, if you are going to work from home, why live in Denver? You have a 75 mile drive from down town to the ski resorts...traffic is terrible up I-70 on the weekends...expect 4 to 5 hours to get home on peek days. I see you are from California so you might not mind sitting in traffic all day. Even on summer weekends you could spend 2 or 3 hours easily.

I would consider someplace closer to where you want to fish and ski. If you want to ski Breck for instance, live in Summit. If you want to ski Steamboat live up there. You can fish within 10 minutes of you house, you can ski within 10 minutes of you house...and not spend hours and hours in traffic.

I traveled a lot and it was only 100 miles to the airport from Summit. We just figured that living in the mountains gave us more chances to get out and play then living in Denver. Even when I paid my own expenses I still did not mind the 100 mile drive to the airport in exchange for living in paradise! Heck I flew out of Vail a few times as well...little bit more expensive but they have major airlines and fly anywhere.

Just my thoughts...not sure why Denver and maybe the company wants you to live close to an airport.
Thanks

I actually spend quite a bit of time every winter in CO (30+ days in a good season) so I am familiar with weekend traffic and rental prices in both Denver and summit. Me and gf want to live in Denver. Nightlife, restaurants, more stuff to do, etc. summit is not out of question but for initial move we want to stay in Denver (downtown / west area)
any way I look at it Denver or summit I'm still better of them so cal for fishing and snowboarding.

Btw the only time I've seen 3-4 hr drive between summit and Denver were on holiday weekends at rush hour in a snow storm. I typically get up early(I make sure to not be on the road in rush hour) so I don't mind driving and not too concerned with occasional traffic
Right now I drive 30 miles to work in LA and that takes min 45 min. But average time is 1-1:15hr ;(
mcnerney likes this.