The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2013, 06:23 PM

two_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of light
Default Cache la Poudre River, Fort Collins?

I will be moving to Cheyenne, WY shortly, and fear that there will be no fly fishing to be done. I found the Cache la Poudre river in Fort Collins. This would be about an hours drive for me. Any success stories out there?
Old 01-30-2013, 08:05 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cache la Poudre River, Fort Collins?

The Poudre took a big hit last year with the huge fire followed by the heavy rains and the ash/mud that washed into the river, so I don't know how it is currently fishing, but you might have to travel up the canyon until you get above the fire damage. You might also want to browse through the Midgeman's blog, he used to live in Ft Collins and the Poudre was his home river, and he wrote about his fishing there quite a bit. A few months ago he moved to Westminister. Here is his site: The Midge Manifesto

Old 01-30-2013, 08:27 PM

two_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of light

Hey Mcnerney, I checked out the website, and couldn't find an e-mail to contact him. Do you know of an e-mail address that I could contact him at? Just want to see if he knows anything about the Cheyenne area.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:08 PM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold

I live in Sidney Nebraska, only 100 miles east from Cheyenne and I go over there and to Fort Collins quite a bit. There is the Poudre, but like Larry said, it got hit HARD by fires this summer. I had to drive 30 miles up the canyon to get past the burn, and still didn't do so well. There's also the Big Thompson over by Loveland that fishes well, despite having a lot of fishing pressure. In the immediate Cheyenne area I haven't heard of anything...that might because I didn't look that hard because I don't want to spend $160 on an out of state license. If you're willing to drive about 180 miles, there is Grey Reef, which arguably holds some of the better trout fishing in the country. About 80 miles north east of Cheyenne is Torrington Wyo near the Nebraska border, and I know for sure of at least 1 nice creek over there that has a very healthy population of wild rainbows. If you venture over to Nebraska there are a lot of wild rainbow and brown trout fishing opportunities in creeks near Scottsbluff. If you go even further into Nebraska you'll eventually hit Ogalalla (180ish miles from Cheyenne), this is where I spend a lot of my time fishing for trophy sized rainbows, its also known for monster Wiper. So...within a 200 mile radius you have A LOT of good fishing opportunities. Once you get situated in Cheyenne we will have to see about meeting up and doing some fishing!

-Chase
Old 01-30-2013, 10:11 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SdDryFly View Post
Hey Mcnerney, I checked out the website, and couldn't find an e-mail to contact him. Do you know of an e-mail address that I could contact him at? Just want to see if he knows anything about the Cheyenne area.
I don't know him personally or his email address. I do know that you can comment on his posts and he does reply on some of those comments, so that might work.

Another option is to explore the sagebrush lakes around Laramie. Stop by the Four Seasons Fly Shop and get a map and ask some questions on what works., maybe by a few flies for their information. A little further to the west is the Snowies, lots of good fishing on the streams and lakes in that area, you will need a map of the Medicine Bow NF. On the other side of the mountain is the North Platte River and it has a number of public access points, just look for the brown signs along hwy 130 between Saratoga and Riverside, WY.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:27 PM

4peace1piece will become famous soon enough

Your closest places to get a line wet are west of Cheyenne: North Crow Diversion is filled with stockers, Granite, Crystal, and North Crow Res. have some 10-15 inch fish with occasional bigs, but I've actually recommend spinning tackle for all those. In the same area of Vedauwoo you can find many beaver ponds with beautiful brookies they just don't get too big. Then further west of Laramie are the fishable rivers you'll probably be most interested in for fly fishing: French creek, N. Platte, and Douglas Creek are typical freestones. The North Platte is fishable from the headwaters in Colorado through Saratoga/Seminole/Alcova/Casper before it starts to turn into catfish water by the time it gets to the Nebraska boarder northeast of Cheyenne.

Poudre and Big T are your options to the south before having to go through Denver. Also the St. Vrain.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:40 AM

slicedog is on a distinguished road

I fish the poudre 3-5 times a week in town during the spring to late fall. Yes it did get hit hard by the fires, but continued to fish well afterwards when the ash settled between rainfall. Last spring was out of control, the fishing was off the hook. The flush from the big runoff the year before cleaned out the river really well, allowing for a lot more insects to colonize the rocks, and the hatches were a lot larger and more diverse than other years. It is flowing low and crystal clear right now, but with flows around 18cfs the fish are really spooky. Cloudy crappy days it fishes bestright now when the flows are this low.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:43 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicedog View Post
I fish the poudre 3-5 times a week in town during the spring to late fall. Yes it did get hit hard by the fires, but continued to fish well afterwards when the ash settled between rainfall. Last spring was out of control, the fishing was off the hook. The flush from the big runoff the year before cleaned out the river really well, allowing for a lot more insects to colonize the rocks, and the hatches were a lot larger and more diverse than other years. It is flowing low and crystal clear right now, but with flows around 18cfs the fish are really spooky. Cloudy crappy days it fishes bestright now when the flows are this low.
Thanks for the update. I hadn't read anything on how the river is fishing since the big fire, good to know the ash flow didn't wipe out all the fish.

Old 02-21-2013, 12:16 PM

spiderninja will become famous soon enough

Yeah, it has been challenging fishing the poudre in town with such low flows recently. But I have had some good days fishing some of the deeper runs in town. They just seem to be few and far between with <20 cfs.

Last year I did well after 14 opened up. There is a lot of good fishing above the burn area; I even had some success right in the middle of the burn area at the end of the season. There were some huge banks of silt, but it didn't completely cover the river and fish were still feeding.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:02 PM

slicedog is on a distinguished road

Haven't had success fishing the real deep pools( Legacy park) , find it hard to get a good drift with weight needed to get down to the fish, but some of the more moderate pools I have had success. See any of the big browns this fall spider? Really good size fish on the redds, but quite a few were really beat up and had fungus growing on them.