The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2013, 08:03 PM

nickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: What is this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by long bow View Post
WHOOPS! So for some reason I'm seeing a picture of a "S" brown trout and you guys are seeing nothing--my apologies. Especially to Plecain for my sarcastic response. Bottom line question is what would exist besides whirling disease, if any? No signs of above bird attack on the fish. I"m hitting the Lewis Spoon this weekend, so in regards to whitefish, I wish I had a smoker.
Can't see your pic, but from what I can find, brown trout are not succeptible to WD.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:19 PM

long bow will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickj View Post
Can't see your pic, but from what I can find, brown trout are not succeptible to WD.
That's what I thought too. I know that some of the 'bows here get some sort of issue coming out of the hatchery but didn't know if that got "passed" to the browns?
Old 01-31-2013, 08:25 PM

Troutwhisperer will become famous soon enoughTroutwhisperer will become famous soon enough

Im not to sure if I'm correct with this info but I think the original stock of browns are immune to whirling disease and they have passed that down all generations. Here is an interesting article on whirling disease. http://whirlingdisease.montana.edu/b...ails.asp?ID=98

As for the fish its a brown but like people it was just born differantly with a dissability. It was just lucky to survive natural selection for this long.

"I have a river runs through it on blue ray, so yeah, I guess you could say I know a thing or two about fly fishing."

http://mtwhitefish.blogspot.com
Old 01-31-2013, 08:50 PM

long bow will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutwhisperer View Post
Im not to sure if I'm correct with this info but I think the original stock of browns are immune to whirling disease and they have passed that down all generations.
Seems to be in contradiction with MT FWP saying that some have. "Nonetheless, the disease is slowly moving down the Missouri, though at a low infection rate. The disease has turned up in both brown and rainbow trout."

Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks :: Missouri River Whirling Disease Update

Either way, having that guy drop into my lap was quite the surprise. Troutwhisperer you been on the Mo' lately?
Old 02-01-2013, 10:23 AM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

Whirling.. seems like most trout are susceptible in various degrees

Old 02-01-2013, 01:27 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

I've caught some fish with deformed heads, but never a bigger trout with an S body.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:15 PM

vanish will become famous soon enough

Might just have been injured at some point.

Click the image to open in full size.
brucerducer likes this.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:32 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Brown trout are usually not susceptible to whirling disease. I've caught a few that look like that, both bows and browns. Perhaps something when they were smaller, or a bird attack. Could be a variety of things. Whirling would be far down my list for this one...

Kelly.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:31 PM

lightline is a jewel in the roughlightline is a jewel in the roughlightline is a jewel in the roughlightline is a jewel in the rough

I've caught "deformed" browns from that same stretch over the years too. Not many, and not that "S" deformed, but with definite "breaks" or "curves" in their anatomy. I always guess older, previous injury, but I'm not a biologist.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:38 PM

mattneeds is on a distinguished road

I've caught a truck trout like that, although I don"t know what whirling disease looks like I think like others have said it was injured early in life.