The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Rocky Mountain Range

Rocky Mountain Range Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2013, 05:03 PM

blackbugger is a glorious beacon of lightblackbugger is a glorious beacon of lightblackbugger is a glorious beacon of lightblackbugger is a glorious beacon of lightblackbugger is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: New to MT

It's only closed from the dam down to Pipe Organ.
It's quality fishing down to Dillon. I'm sure the numbers drop some and the biggest concentration of large fish is up near the dam but you can catch big fish anywhere.
Less people can mean better fishing.

I think sometimes people get too hung up on numbers. Tim Tollett way way back in the day tried to talk me into floating the river down to Barrett's. He was almost annoyed in describing how everyone wants to fish the upper 5 miles when it's good fishing all the way to town. He was/is right.

I'm trying to avoid just flat out telling you where to go.
Suffice to say there is plenty of walk in access below Pipe Organ. Expect to use the same stuff you'd use on the Mo this time of year.
Stop at Frontier Anglers, buy some flies, get some advice on where to go and you will be on your way.
There is a lot of learning to do about the Beav. The best way to do it is to go and have the fun and adventure of trying to figure it out.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:41 AM

mattneeds is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the help BB.

Hopefully I'll get out to the Beav. and post up some pics before winter is over!
Old 02-08-2013, 03:49 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

For new waters (don't know diddly about this stream) I've found Google Earth to be an excellent reference. If you've got a good map, have it in front of you and note the GPS coordinates from Google.

With the marked up map, and a hand held GPS, you'll get little in the way of 'real surprises' on the river. This is also a great way to find walk in access.'